Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | BBC Sounds getting downgraded (again) on VM?

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service

BBC Sounds getting downgraded (again) on VM?

Old 29-06-2022, 11:20   #1
cheekyangus
cf.mega poster

cheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quads
BBC Sounds getting downgraded (again) on VM?

I've been noticing that the BBC Sounds TV App seems to be progressively being downgraded on Virgin Media.

First they removed the Start, Back 20, Forward 20, Live buttons when streaming Live Radio stations.

Now they seem to have removed the track information!

These features are still on the Roku version of the TV App, and I literally did an update of that Roku app today before I checked to see if the features were still present.

Is this happening to TV360 users? I'm wondering if it's just V6 this is happening on.
cheekyangus is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 29-06-2022, 11:43   #2
epsilon
cf.geek

epsilon has entered a golden reputation eraepsilon has entered a golden reputation eraepsilon has entered a golden reputation eraepsilon has entered a golden reputation eraepsilon has entered a golden reputation eraepsilon has entered a golden reputation eraepsilon has entered a golden reputation eraepsilon has entered a golden reputation eraepsilon has entered a golden reputation eraepsilon has entered a golden reputation eraepsilon has entered a golden reputation era
Re: BBC Sounds getting downgraded (again) on VM?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheekyangus View Post
I've been noticing that the BBC Sounds TV App seems to be progressively being downgraded on Virgin Media.

First they removed the Start, Back 20, Forward 20, Live buttons when streaming Live Radio stations.

Now they seem to have removed the track information!

These features are still on the Roku version of the TV App, and I literally did an update of that Roku app today before I checked to see if the features were still present.

Is this happening to TV360 users? I'm wondering if it's just V6 this is happening on.
I pressed the skip back button on the remote and they magically reappeared. Try it.
epsilon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2022, 11:43   #3
ozsat
cf.mega poster

Services: 1.2Gb/100Mb, VMTV (UHD), Freesat HD, Freeview HD, SkyQ (UHD), BTtv (UHD), DAB+
ozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful one

The V6 here still has those buttons showing here on live channels although I have to press 'down' to bring them up.
And track info is still being displayed.
Anything being removed will be by choice of the BBC - who seem tro give up on older devices quite quickly. They stopped UHD/HDR support on the original Amazon 4K Firesticks.
ozsat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2022, 17:31   #4
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars

The app on my 360 behaves exactly the same as it does on my Samsung TV.

It seems that the play controls are now designed to hide themselves after a short period of time.
Old 29-06-2022, 17:46   #5
epsilon
cf.geek

epsilon has entered a golden reputation eraepsilon has entered a golden reputation eraepsilon has entered a golden reputation eraepsilon has entered a golden reputation eraepsilon has entered a golden reputation eraepsilon has entered a golden reputation eraepsilon has entered a golden reputation eraepsilon has entered a golden reputation eraepsilon has entered a golden reputation eraepsilon has entered a golden reputation eraepsilon has entered a golden reputation era

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenMcr View Post

It seems that the play controls are now designed to hide themselves after a short period of time.
It was launching with just the stop button visible on the V6, similar to older versions without playback controls. The buttons and track info reappeared after I pressed skip back on the remote. Probably just a glitch and maybe what cheekyangus was seeing.
epsilon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2022, 21:11   #6
cheekyangus
cf.mega poster

cheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quads

Quote:
Originally Posted by epsilon View Post
I pressed the skip back button on the remote and they magically reappeared. Try it.
Thanks. That's fixed it. It fixed the controls first, but once I went out of one station into another it fixed the track details too. Clearly a glitch, and one that even reboots of the box doesn't fix.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozsat View Post
The V6 here still has those buttons showing here on live channels although I have to press 'down' to bring them up.
And track info is still being displayed.
Anything being removed will be by choice of the BBC - who seem tro give up on older devices quite quickly. They stopped UHD/HDR support on the original Amazon 4K Firesticks.
Yes, indeed. Depends on the popularity of the device though, I've got an ancient Roku that's still supported, whereas newer but likely less popular devices have had support dropped entirely.
Quote:

I know they are designed to autohide, I wasn't meaning that. It was only showing the Stop button, like epsilon describes below.
Quote:
Originally Posted by epsilon View Post
It was launching with just the stop button visible on the V6, similar to older versions without playback controls. The buttons and track info reappeared after I pressed skip back on the remote. Probably just a glitch and maybe what cheekyangus was seeing.
Old 30-06-2022, 10:14   #7
cheekyangus
cf.mega poster

The glitch is continual, I had to use the skip back button on the remote just now to bring the on-screen buttons back.
Old 30-06-2022, 11:02   #8
heero_yuy
Perfect Soldier

Services: VM 500M SH3 thingy in modem mode XL TV V6 Sony Bravia smart TV and M phone
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
The glitch is continual
Undocumented feature.
Old 30-06-2022, 11:13   #9
cheekyangus
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by heero_yuy View Post
Undocumented feature.
Old 08-07-2022, 09:37   #10
cheekyangus
cf.mega poster

Quote:
The glitch is continual, I had to use the skip back button on the remote just now to bring the on-screen buttons back.
UPDATE. It was a continual issue, even after finding out about the skip back trick, as that only "fixed" it until you exit.

But it appears to have now been fixed properly as the the last couple of days it has been fixed when the app started.

Both the track info AND the on-screen controls, are now working properly, to be clear.
Old 08-07-2022, 17:26   #11
Rillington
cf.mega poster

Services: Virgin Media, DAB
Rillington has entered a golden reputation eraRillington has entered a golden reputation eraRillington has entered a golden reputation eraRillington has entered a golden reputation eraRillington has entered a golden reputation eraRillington has entered a golden reputation eraRillington has entered a golden reputation eraRillington has entered a golden reputation eraRillington has entered a golden reputation eraRillington has entered a golden reputation eraRillington has entered a golden reputation era

I hope this gets sorted but at least you have access to it as VM has decided not to make BBC Sounds available to TV-only customers.
Rillington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2022, 19:07   #12
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars

That's because the original TiVo boxes are too old to run it.

Also be aware that TiVo boxes are no longer available for replacement if or when they break. You'd either have to upgrade to a V6 or 360 box with an associated Virgin Fibre broadband service or cancel the TV service.
Old 08-07-2022, 20:08   #13
ozsat
cf.mega poster

Services: 1.2Gb/100Mb, VMTV (UHD), Freesat HD, Freeview HD, SkyQ (UHD), BTtv (UHD), DAB+
ozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful one

Do you get a free V6 or 360 upgrade for an unreplacable box?

Quote:
That's because the original TiVo boxes are too old to run it.

Also be aware that TiVo boxes are no longer available for replacement if or when they break. You'd either have to upgrade to a V6 or 360 box with an associated Virgin Fibre broadband service or cancel the TV service.
ozsat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2022, 20:38   #14
cheekyangus
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rillington View Post
I hope this gets sorted but at least you have access to it as VM has decided not to make BBC Sounds available to TV-only customers.
It has been sorted. That was the point of my last post.
Old 08-07-2022, 22:28   #15
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozsat View Post
Do you get a free V6 or 360 upgrade for an unreplacable box?
If you already have Virgin Fibre then usually it's a V6.

If you don't, then a new bundle offer including Virgin Fibre would need to be agreed to continue with TV.