Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Channel 4 to be privatised

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service

Channel 4 to be privatised

Old 06-04-2022, 08:13   #31
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
Re: Channel 4 to be privatised

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh View Post
How about from less than a year ago (from my previous post link)

Quote:

Alex Mahon and Charles Gurassa (Channel 4 Chair) were questioned about the possible privatisation of Channel 4 when they gave evidence to the DCMS Committee on 22 June 2021. 1Kevin Brennan MP asked what had changed since the 2016 Lords Committee report. Alex Mahon said:

Probably there are a couple of things that have changed...One is that the digital landscape has become more dangerous in terms of social media, so the importance of public service content has probably become higher, which is maybe the opposite of what we would have thought five years ago, but that sort of trusted, objective, fact-checked requirement for news is more important than ever before and certain kinds of content.

The other is there is a lot of competition, but it is not making British content owned by British companies, and perhaps the other thing is the export value of those companies. We do a lot for British companies that send their content abroad. That gives us soft power as a country...Our role in ensuring that we allow that stuff to be made and get it exported is perhaps even more important than it was.

Mr Brennan also asked:
Would it be fair to say that both of you are saying there is no new compelling argument for privatisation that has arisen in the last five and a half years that makes it any more of a sensible path to take than it was previously?...

Alex Mahon replied: “Not that I have seen at this stage, but I look forward to seeing any analysis”

Like most reasonable people, I would like to see the analysis and evidence behind this decision, and validate if the decision proposed meets the criteria set out in the remit.
Of course they would be defending the status quo for Channel 4, but they were right to point to the rapidly changing digital landscape. Isn't that why the Government believe that privatisation is necessary?
Old 06-04-2022, 13:07   #32
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

But based on an ideology, rather than based on sound commercial and public service broadcasting remit - surely you don’t think they should have announced a verdict (privatisation) without considering all the evidence?
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Hugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2022, 13:14   #33
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDaddy View Post
Arron Banks gave his analysis earlier but I wouldn't call it reasonable but I wonder if he's that wide of the mark

C4 news is an extension of The Guardian newsroom, a bunch of trendy Oxford educated lefties with less neutrality than the BBC! We are engaged in a cultural war where the right win elections and the left control the media. It needs a bullet in the back of the head pronto
'Bullet in the back of the head'? Sounds like cancel culture to me!

Media whether on TV or in print should be able to have a range of views in both publicly owned and private companies.

There is nothing inherently wrong with being 'an extension of The Guardian newsroom' unless you think there is a problem with The Guardian newsroom itself. Which even if you think that doesn't mean that it shouldn't have the ability to exist.
Old 06-04-2022, 14:22   #34
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
But based on an ideology, rather than based on sound commercial and public service broadcasting remit - surely you don’t think they should have announced a verdict (privatisation) without considering all the evidence?
Do you have evidence that they haven’t?

---------- Post added at 13:22 ---------- Previous post was at 13:19 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenMcr View Post
'Bullet in the back of the head'? Sounds like cancel culture to me!

Media whether on TV or in print should be able to have a range of views in both publicly owned and private companies.

There is nothing inherently wrong with being 'an extension of The Guardian newsroom' unless you think there is a problem with The Guardian newsroom itself. Which even if you think that doesn't mean that it shouldn't have the ability to exist.
Why can’t they just present the news factually? This is what people are crying out for.
Old 06-04-2022, 14:32   #35
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
Why can’t they just present the news factually? This is what people are crying out for.
Most news is factual, but they do also have opinion from correspondents and editors.

However saying to a government representative that they're lying when they're lying is apparently now 'bias'.
Old 06-04-2022, 14:54   #36
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenMcr View Post
Most news is factual, but they do also have opinion from correspondents and editors.

However saying to a government representative that they're lying when they're lying is apparently now 'bias'.
Not when it is obviously a lie, such as calling out Putin when he says the murder of civilians and the wanton destruction of buildings in Ukraine has been ‘staged’.

Political opinions are always welcome I think, but they should be separate from the news bulletins.
Old 06-04-2022, 17:51   #37
epsilon
cf.geek

epsilon has entered a golden reputation eraepsilon has entered a golden reputation eraepsilon has entered a golden reputation eraepsilon has entered a golden reputation eraepsilon has entered a golden reputation eraepsilon has entered a golden reputation eraepsilon has entered a golden reputation eraepsilon has entered a golden reputation eraepsilon has entered a golden reputation eraepsilon has entered a golden reputation eraepsilon has entered a golden reputation era

Quote:
Not when it is obviously a lie, such as calling out Putin when he says the murder of civilians and the wanton destruction of buildings in Ukraine has been ‘staged’.

Political opinions are always welcome I think, but they should be separate from the news bulletins.
Or claiming no knowledge of parties at no10 during isolation only to then be found out as being present at the parties. As we have seen in Russia, there is a major problem when a government tries to control the media and attempts to stifle alternative opinion. The UK Government under Boris has clearly demonstrated its desire to control the media with its threats to Channel 4 and to the BBC for not blindly supporting the government ideology.
epsilon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2022, 20:06   #38
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

Quote:
Do you have evidence that they haven’t?

---------- Post added at 13:22 ---------- Previous post was at 13:19 ----------

I have looked for evidence on the OFCOM, DCMS, GOV.UK, Channel 4, and the Conservative Party websites - can’t find any…

I even visited the local planning department’s cellar (the one with no stairs or light), and looked in the bottom of a locked filing cabinet stuck in a disused lavatory with a sign on the door saying "beware of the leopard, but there was nothing there; I then enquired at the website at the planning department in Alpha Centauri, but with a radio message lag time for a reply being nearly 9 years, my confidence is low I’ll get a timely reply…

Can you point me in the direction of the evidence from the consultation that you’ve used in your decision to support Dorries’ privatisation initiative? After all, you’ve frequently stated we shouldn’t pre-judge outcomes until the reports from any investigations/consultations are available…
Old 06-04-2022, 20:20   #39
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Quote:
Originally Posted by epsilon View Post
Or claiming no knowledge of parties at no10 during isolation only to then be found out as being present at the parties. As we have seen in Russia, there is a major problem when a government tries to control the media and attempts to stifle alternative opinion. The UK Government under Boris has clearly demonstrated its desire to control the media with its threats to Channel 4 and to the BBC for not blindly supporting the government ideology.
Regarding partygate, you’re not getting it, are you? Boris has admitted to being present at some events, but he claims he didn’t recognise them as parties. One of the events, for example, he thought was a ‘thank you’ speech to his team. So it is not obviously a lie. That has to be proved.

I know that some take the view that the government plans for the BBC and Channel 4 are ‘revenge’, but there are genuine reasons as to why the government is taking that view. And it has nothing to do with revenge!
Old 06-04-2022, 20:44   #40
GrimUpNorth
cf.mega poster

GrimUpNorth has a nice shiny star
GrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Regarding partygate, you’re not getting it, are you? Boris has admitted to being present at some events, but he claims he didn’t recognise them as parties. One of the events, for example, he thought was a ‘thank you’ speech to his team. So it is not obviously a lie. That has to be proved.

I know that some take the view that the government plans for the BBC and Channel 4 are ‘revenge’, but there are genuine reasons as to why the government is taking that view. And it has nothing to do with revenge!
Care to share?
GrimUpNorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2022, 21:51   #41
epsilon
cf.geek

epsilon has entered a golden reputation eraepsilon has entered a golden reputation eraepsilon has entered a golden reputation eraepsilon has entered a golden reputation eraepsilon has entered a golden reputation eraepsilon has entered a golden reputation eraepsilon has entered a golden reputation eraepsilon has entered a golden reputation eraepsilon has entered a golden reputation eraepsilon has entered a golden reputation eraepsilon has entered a golden reputation era

Quote:

Admitted to being there after he was forced into a corner as others revealed his presence first. The claim that he didn't recognise them as "parties" just makes him look stupid and disingenuous.

The veiled threats made to the BBC and Channel 4 were clearly revenge for the broadcasters challenging the government's point of view.

---------- Post added at 20:51 ---------- Previous post was at 20:30 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrimUpNorth View Post
Care to share?
Maybe it will all become clear in 2035.
epsilon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2022, 01:28   #42
TimeLord2018
cf.geek

TimeLord2018 is a jewel in the roughTimeLord2018 is a jewel in the roughTimeLord2018 is a jewel in the roughTimeLord2018 is a jewel in the roughTimeLord2018 is a jewel in the rough

ITV is reportedly planning to bid for Channel 4
https://www.mediamole.co.uk/entertai...-4_482575.html
TimeLord2018 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2022, 10:10   #43
Maggy
The Invisible Woman
Cable Forum Team

Services: VM XL TV,50 MB VM BB,VM landline, Tivo
Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura
Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura

Partygate is OFF TOPIC
Old 07-04-2022, 10:54   #44
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

For me, this quote summed it up perfectly…

Quote:
Channel 4 privatisation is a solution in search of a problem.
Old 07-04-2022, 11:35   #45
1701-e
EU citizen proud of it!

Services: TV 360 Maxit TV, Gig1 bb & a landline.....
1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one
Thumbs up Re: Channel 4 to be privatised

Quote:
For me, this quote summed it up perfectly…
This . .. . .