Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Virgin Media Phorm Webwise Adverts [Updated: See Post No. 1, 77, 102 & 797]

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Virgin Media Phorm Webwise Adverts [Updated: See Post No. 1, 77, 102 & 797]
View Poll Results: Will you be opting out of the Virgin Ad Deal?
Yes, Definitely. 958 95.51%
No, I am quite happy to share my surfing habits with anyone. 45 4.49%
Voters: 1003. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 13-08-2008, 13:28   #13921
icsys
Inactive

Services: Virgin - BB,TV,Phone Sky box - with no sub Freeview - idtv
icsys is just really niceicsys is just really niceicsys is just really niceicsys is just really niceicsys is just really niceicsys is just really nice
Re: Virgin Media Phorm Webwise Adverts [Updated: See Post No. 1, 77, 102 & 797]

Quote:
As a means of retrieving targeted ads, PageSense inserted JavaScript tags into every page visited by an ISP user. Webwise doesn't use JavaScript, and according to a BT report obtained by The Reg, Phorm dropped the JavaScript technique because it meant ISP users were more likely to realize they were being profiled.
In other words... they wanted the profiling to be covert.

Hello 'tee cee'. welcome to the debate.
Advertisement
Old 13-08-2008, 13:30   #13922
tarka
Inactive

tarka is on a distinguished roadtarka is on a distinguished road

there's that "transparent" word again...

Quote:
Nonetheless, the Phorm spokesman says the company's stateside trials were in not secret. "The services were transparent to users and information such as how to opt out, who provided the service and the privacy policy was easily accessible,"
Old 13-08-2008, 13:42   #13923
BetBlowWhistler
Inactive

BetBlowWhistler has a spectacular aura about themBetBlowWhistler has a spectacular aura about themBetBlowWhistler has a spectacular aura about themBetBlowWhistler has a spectacular aura about them

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarka View Post
there's that "transparent" word again...
Inconceivable!

[Spanish accent]
"You keep using this word, I do not think it means what you think it means"
[/Spanish accent]
Old 13-08-2008, 13:49   #13924
mark777
Inactive

Services: 0.4 Mbps BB + Phone
mark777 is a glorious beacon of lightmark777 is a glorious beacon of lightmark777 is a glorious beacon of lightmark777 is a glorious beacon of lightmark777 is a glorious beacon of lightmark777 is a glorious beacon of lightmark777 is a glorious beacon of light

I've not seen anything on the BBC website yet relating to the EU letter. I'm sure they will cover this as it's very significant.

The fact that nothing has appeared yet leads me to hope that the piece will be very detailed when it does come along. Perhaps taking time to record some interviews?

On a different note, anybody with language skills might want to visit various fora in Europe. It would help our cause if the EU commission started to receive letters from Europeans elsewhere asking for intervention over the issue, Europe wide, not just in the UK.

"Don't let them even start here" that sort of thing, but the letters coming in French, German, Spanish etc!

Can anyone remember the name of the web analytics guy from (Sweden?) who came here to be REphormed? I would like to hear his opinion on the letter and see if he blogs on it. Also to thank him again for writing to the EU.
Old 13-08-2008, 13:53   #13925
tarka
Inactive

tarka is on a distinguished roadtarka is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetBlowWhistler View Post
Inconceivable!

[Spanish accent]
"You keep using this word, I do not think it means what you think it means"
[/Spanish accent]
BT's meaning of the word or everyone elses?
Old 13-08-2008, 14:03   #13926
lardycake
Inactive

lardycake is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark777 View Post
... Can anyone remember the name of the web analytics guy from (Sweden?) who came here to be REphormed? I would like to hear his opinion on the letter and see if he blogs on it. Also to thank him again for writing to the EU.
I think it was something like backbeak or blackbeak
Old 13-08-2008, 14:07   #13927
Wildie
Inactive

Wildie will become famous soon enoughWildie will become famous soon enoughWildie will become famous soon enough

don`t no if it`s been posted before http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/7557963.stm
Old 13-08-2008, 14:08   #13928
mark777
Inactive

Services: 0.4 Mbps BB + Phone
mark777 is a glorious beacon of lightmark777 is a glorious beacon of lightmark777 is a glorious beacon of lightmark777 is a glorious beacon of lightmark777 is a glorious beacon of lightmark777 is a glorious beacon of lightmark777 is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by lardycake View Post
Many thanks. Bang on.

http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/34...post11800.html
Old 13-08-2008, 14:08   #13929
icsys
Inactive

Services: Virgin - BB,TV,Phone Sky box - with no sub Freeview - idtv
icsys is just really niceicsys is just really niceicsys is just really niceicsys is just really niceicsys is just really niceicsys is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by lardycake View Post
Indeed it was..
heres a link to his last post

Blog link
Old 13-08-2008, 14:28   #13930
serial
Inactive

serial is on a distinguished roadserial is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarka View Post
Had a look into this a while ago:

http://badphorm.co.uk/e107_plugins/f....php?5585.post
Old 13-08-2008, 14:33   #13931
phormwatch
Inactive

phormwatch will become famous soon enoughphormwatch will become famous soon enoughphormwatch will become famous soon enough

Hello tee cee. Welcome to the forum, and thank you for the kind words.

Your help is also greatly appreciated.

---------- Post added at 14:33 ---------- Previous post was at 14:33 ----------

Anyone tried contacting Paxman?
Old 13-08-2008, 14:55   #13932
SMHarman
Inactive

Services: Cablevision
SMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronze
SMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by R Jones View Post
I think it is best to leave party politics out of any public statements, but to be aware of party sensibilities, and make sure you approach the right person to do the right job. Be savvy and remember who you are dealing with, whether a party politician, a business or a regulator. What are THEY most interested in? What rocks THEIR boat? Do they need a bit of "persuasion"? In which case, how can you give them an incentive?
If they are an opponent - what are they most scared of?
If an ally - what would be most helpful to them?

Try and leave your own party politics at the door. I've found politicians of parties I don't care much for, can be surprisingly decent people and very helpful if you don't slag them off unthinkingly.
This is a bi (or perhaps in the UK tri) Partisan issue. It need not be divided by politics.
Old 13-08-2008, 14:59   #13933
madslug
Inactive

madslug is a jewel in the roughmadslug is a jewel in the roughmadslug is a jewel in the roughmadslug is a jewel in the roughmadslug is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildie View Post
don`t no if it`s been posted before http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/7557963.stm
News like this makes me wonder how long it will be before the powers-that-be discover how much email goes nowhere near an ISP. None of my mailservers keep logs for more than a few days: just as well considering how fast the logs grow whenever there is a dictionary spam attack.

Even if the hosting providers are also asked to keep mail logs there are still all the private mailservers people keep in their garages.

A true catch 22 situation - the greater the bandwidth the easier it is for those who want to maintain privacy to get around anything the 'snoopers' try to do. Dial-up limited images, sound, video and flash. What will limit encryption?
Old 13-08-2008, 15:38   #13934
BetBlowWhistler
Inactive

BetBlowWhistler has a spectacular aura about themBetBlowWhistler has a spectacular aura about themBetBlowWhistler has a spectacular aura about themBetBlowWhistler has a spectacular aura about them

Quote:
Originally Posted by madslug View Post
News like this makes me wonder how long it will be before the powers-that-be discover how much email goes nowhere near an ISP.
How does your mail server receive its' data then, carrier pigeon?
Old 13-08-2008, 16:05   #13935
oblonsky
Inactive

oblonsky has a spectacular aura about themoblonsky has a spectacular aura about themoblonsky has a spectacular aura about themoblonsky has a spectacular aura about them

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetBlowWhistler View Post
How does your mail server receive its' data then, carrier pigeon?
Are you suggesting that ISPs capture IP traffic and use DPI to store email traffic data even between 2 third-party servers? Surely this would be illegal under UK and EU law, given my understanding of what actually constitutes "traffic data" (as opposed to what MPs and HO officials would LIKE to include as traffic data).

Or are you simply hinting that one end of the transaction may be using an ISP server?

Anyhow, this is getting OT and there's loads to be read about this debate on other newsgroups and forums. Apologies.
Closed Thread