Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | 1gig Rollout getting faster

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service

1gig Rollout getting faster

Old 21-07-2022, 19:35   #481
MrGimper
cf.member

MrGimper is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: 1gig Rollout getting faster

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtho782 View Post
Ok, you can get over 940meg.

I've just tested this with my hub3.0, but it should work with the hub4.0 on gig1 too.

The superhub has an undocumented feature, in that the LAN ports in modem mode are in a balance-rr group. This means that with a switch or router that supports load balancing, you can connect as many of the ports as you like in one group. As this is balance-rr, it is per packet, and even a single download stream is split across the nics.

I've connected my UDM-Pro via a 10G DAC cable in WAN2 to a Mikrotik CRS305-1G-4S+IN switch, in SFPPlus3. The other SFP ports are then in a balance-rr bond, bridged with SFPPlus3. The ethernet port is connected to the LAN side of my network, for monitoring and management of the switch, in it's own bridge.

ARP must be disabled on the bond and the bridge.

SFP ports 1-2 have RJ45 1Gig sfps in, these connect to the superhub.

The UDM-Pro obtains it's WAN IP through the switch, and distributes it's wan traffic across the three SH LAN ports, meaning up to 2gbit each way.

Obviously my internet is only 350m, but I can see traffic being split across the two SFP ports during a speedtest. There is no reason I couldn't use the 3rd port to increase the balance-rr group to 3gbit, I just didn't have enough RJ45 SFPs to hand.

I'm now prepped and ready for gig1 or even 2.2gbit in modem mode.

Hi All.... new member so apologies for coming straight here with a question

I'm upgrading my 350mb business connection to Gig1, and will be receiving the Hitron Chita modem. I currently have the older Hitron, in modem-only (I have 5x static IP) and connected to an EdgeRouter-X. Does anyone know if the Chita has this undocumented RR load-balancing? Also anyone configured the RR LB with an EdgeRouter-X?

Many thanks

G
MrGimper is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 28-07-2022, 10:26   #482
rtho782
cf.addict

rtho782 is just really nicertho782 is just really nicertho782 is just really nicertho782 is just really nicertho782 is just really nicertho782 is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrGimper View Post
Hi All.... new member so apologies for coming straight here with a question

I'm upgrading my 350mb business connection to Gig1, and will be receiving the Hitron Chita modem. I currently have the older Hitron, in modem-only (I have 5x static IP) and connected to an EdgeRouter-X. Does anyone know if the Chita has this undocumented RR load-balancing? Also anyone configured the RR LB with an EdgeRouter-X?

Many thanks

G
With the latest Hub4 Updates they have broken balance-rr and it no longer works properly. Using it I get speedtest results in the 30mbit range. I'm down to a single gigabit ethernet connection (on gig1 with a hub4) and excitedly awaiting Cityfibre who reach me in November.

I'm very much done with VM and can't wait to jump ship honestly.
rtho782 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2022, 14:18   #483
iFrankie
cf.mega poster

Services: V BB 350
iFrankie has a bronzed appealiFrankie has a bronzed appeal
iFrankie has a bronzed appealiFrankie has a bronzed appealiFrankie has a bronzed appealiFrankie has a bronzed appealiFrankie has a bronzed appeal
Send a message via MSN to iFrankie Send a message via Yahoo to iFrankie

Im currently on 350... that i heard they don't even sell anymore, my bill is now £81!, for basic tv and anytime calls, tired of feeling scammed.
iFrankie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2022, 21:10   #484
Rankrotten
Artist of Light and Shade

Services: Gig 1
Rankrotten is on a distinguished roadRankrotten is on a distinguished road

Hub4 and Gig1 still working fine with balance-rr and four LAN connections.
Rankrotten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2022, 12:25   #485
ianch99
cf.mega poster

ianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze array
ianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze array

Just been upgraded to Gig1 and am getting 932/51 - is this about right for VM?
Old 07-09-2022, 16:02   #486
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by ianch99 View Post
Just been upgraded to Gig1 and am getting 932/51 - is this about right for VM?
Where are you testing that. What does www.samknows.com/realspeed say (if you're in router mode)
Old 07-09-2022, 17:02   #487
ianch99
cf.mega poster

ianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze array
ianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze array

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenMcr View Post
Where are you testing that. What does www.samknows.com/realspeed say (if you're in router mode)
I am using the Hub 5 in modem mode so no router-based SamKnows. Tested via Speedtest.net app on Mac OS connected via Gig ethernet to pfsense router.

I have seen posts that claiming that Gigabit ethernet std frame sizing should give 940-ish, just wondered if this rings true?
Old 07-09-2022, 17:54   #488
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by ianch99 View Post
I am using the Hub 5 in modem mode so no router-based SamKnows. Tested via Speedtest.net app on Mac OS connected via Gig ethernet to pfsense router.

I have seen posts that claiming that Gigabit ethernet std frame sizing should give 940-ish, just wondered if this rings true?
Yeah that's about the most you'd be able to get on a Gigabit Ethernet port.

The Hub 5 has 2.5Gb port on it if you've got compatible kit.