Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | ILLEGAL IMMIGRANT rent rights

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Current Affairs
Register FAQ Community Calendar

ILLEGAL IMMIGRANT rent rights

Old 01-03-2019, 17:47   #16
heero_yuy
Perfect Soldier

Services: VM 500M SH3 thingy in modem mode XL TV V6 Sony Bravia smart TV and M phone
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars
Re: ILLEGAL IMMIGRANT rent rights

Quote:
Quote from Damien:

Fine but if it only contained the information of a passport? I.E No biometrics.
You might want to include no RFID so you can't be tracked by the state.
Advertisement
Old 01-03-2019, 18:08   #17
nomadking
cf.mega poster

Services: Virgin Media TV&BB 350Mb, V6 STB
nomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze array
nomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze array

A little while ago there was a TV series on BBC1 about council housing fraud. Multiple instances of people who shouldn't have been in the country. They did find one case of a white person being involved in something.

Last edited by nomadking; 01-03-2019 at 18:16.
nomadking is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2019, 18:30   #18
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

RichardCoulter has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damien View Post
Fine but if it only contained the information of a passport? I.E No biometrics.

Or no ID card at all but then we should be more relaxed about how often we require proof of citizenship. But not formalising the concept/process whilst demanding it is going to cause problems for some people.
It's going to get worse as we move more online. A bank recently needed my ID, they asked for an electric or gas bill and my passport. My passport is out of date, so they wouldn't accept it and my utility bills are all done online.

In the end my water rates and council tax bills sufficed, but how long before these go online only?
RichardCoulter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2019, 18:35   #19
Taf
cf.mega poster

Services: TVXL BBXL Superhub 2ac (wired) 1Tb Tivo
Taf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny star
Taf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny star

But for work in the UK...

Quote:
Employers are required to keep a photocopy of the passports of all employees proving right to work in the UK for the whole time the person is in their employment and for 2 years after they leave. The Border Agency can ask to see it and if the employer cannot produce it they could be prosecuted.
https://www.gov.uk/check-job-applicant-right-to-work
Taf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2019, 18:48   #20
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardCoulter View Post
It's going to get worse as we move more online. A bank recently needed my ID, they asked for an electric or gas bill and my passport. My passport is out of date, so they wouldn't accept it and my utility bills are all done online.

In the end my water rates and council tax bills sufficed, but how long before these go online only?
These can be printed of as PDFs, which are usually acceptable.

I use any letter from HMRC, which also has your NI number as well for additional proof - most people get one or two of these a year.

---------- Post added at 18:48 ---------- Previous post was at 18:47 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taf View Post
But for work in the UK...
Quote:
Employers are required to keep a photocopy of the passports of all employees proving right to work in the UK for the whole time the person is in their employment and for 2 years after they leave. The Border Agency can ask to see it and if the employer cannot produce it they could be prosecuted.
https://www.gov.uk/check-job-applicant-right-to-work
Most organisations ask for this at interview stage.
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Hugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2019, 18:52   #21
Angua
10 yrs same company 😁

Services: ? BB, basic phone. Share of Disney+
Angua has a pair of shiny starsAngua has a pair of shiny starsAngua has a pair of shiny starsAngua has a pair of shiny stars
Angua has a pair of shiny starsAngua has a pair of shiny starsAngua has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardCoulter View Post

Imagine the hurdles someone with LD has to jump through when they leave home and go into supported accommodation. The only ID they may have is their ESA or PIP claim.

The move to on-line forms and claims then has to be sure to work with GDPR rules. Even more of a nightmare.
Angua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2019, 19:03   #22
nomadking
cf.mega poster

Services: Virgin Media TV&BB 350Mb, V6 STB
nomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze array
nomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze array

The underlying problem is that this country has been allowed to become a cesspool of people who constantly take the proverbial and anything else they can get their hands on. Just look at the staggering amount of fraud surrounding Grenfell.

Over 30 years ago, when I had to move away from home, it was all done in a day. Saw advert on a Saturday morning in the local press for a bedsit in a nearby town, rang up, travelled there by bus, agreed everything, travelled back, arranged a taxi to take me and my stuff there, all in about 8 hours.
nomadking is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2019, 19:20   #23
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

RichardCoulter has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angua View Post
Imagine the hurdles someone with LD has to jump through when they leave home and go into supported accommodation. The only ID they may have is their ESA or PIP claim.

The move to on-line forms and claims then has to be sure to work with GDPR rules. Even more of a nightmare.
True and to claim the benefits themselves now requires proof of identity and NI number (the system has a verified/not verified field that shows the status of the claimants details).
RichardCoulter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2019, 19:55   #24
Taf
cf.mega poster

Services: TVXL BBXL Superhub 2ac (wired) 1Tb Tivo
Taf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny star
Taf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny star

Our twins have dual nationality, so opening bank accounts for their ESA / DLA / PIP to be paid into was a nightmare.

No UK passports, just French ID's. 2 banks refused to accept them. No utility bills as they live with us. No previous bank accounts. NI cards, Birth Certificates and letters from ESA / DLA / PIP eventually did the trick at the third bank. But they still wanted letters from the French Consulate in London validating their status. And those letters weren't cheap to get hold of!

So why has a judge ruled against immigration status checks for renting homes? From ILLEGAL IMMIGRANTS!
Taf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2019, 20:48   #25
Damien
Remoaner
Cable Forum Team

Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling
Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling

Quote:
Our twins have dual nationality, so opening bank accounts for their ESA / DLA / PIP to be paid into was a nightmare.

No UK passports, just French ID's. 2 banks refused to accept them. No utility bills as they live with us. No previous bank accounts. NI cards, Birth Certificates and letters from ESA / DLA / PIP eventually did the trick at the third bank. But they still wanted letters from the French Consulate in London validating their status. And those letters weren't cheap to get hold of!

So why has a judge ruled against immigration status checks for renting homes? From ILLEGAL IMMIGRANTS!
They haven't. They've ruled against doing it all. You've just pointed out the problems with having to always have to prove who you are all the time.
Damien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2019, 21:24   #26
pip08456
Sad Doig Fan!

Services: With VM for BB 250Mb service.(Deal)
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star

Quote:

The judge has ruled against this.

Quote:
The "right to rent" scheme, which requires landlords to check the immigration status of tenants, was introduced in England in 2016.
Different kettle of fish Taf.
pip08456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2019, 23:44   #27
Maggy
The Invisible Woman
Cable Forum Team

Services: VM XL TV,50 MB VM BB,VM landline, Tivo
Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura
Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damien View Post
They haven't. They've ruled against doing it all. You've just pointed out the problems with having to always have to prove who you are all the time.
Good job I have my birth certificate issued in the British Colony of Nigeria in 1952 to prove I have the right to call myself a British citizen. I've heard of one chap also born in Nigeria at the same time period who has lost his certificate and as a consequence is under threat of being deported.

When I started working for an agency that provided supply teachers I had to provide all of this documentation to prove that I wasn't an illegal immigrant after being in this country without question for over 50 years.
Old 02-03-2019, 08:52   #28
mrmistoffelees

Services: Many
mrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronze
mrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronze

Companies are now rechecking right to work in the UK ahead of you know what.....
Old 03-03-2019, 12:35   #29
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze
1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmistoffelees View Post
Companies are now rechecking right to work in the UK ahead of you know what.....
Pancake Day?
1andrew1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2019, 14:31   #30
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1andrew1 View Post
Pancake Day?
If the Government made pancakes the way they’ve handled Brexit, we’d end up with a glass of milk, scrambled eggs, and some plain flour left over...

Breakfast means breakfast
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Hugh is offline   Reply With Quote