Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | New Laptop

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

New Laptop

Old 12-12-2006, 14:09   #1
Barewolf
Inactive

Services: Talk Talk 1.5mb wishing it was Virgin 20mb
Barewolf is the helpful oneBarewolf is the helpful oneBarewolf is the helpful oneBarewolf is the helpful oneBarewolf is the helpful oneBarewolf is the helpful oneBarewolf is the helpful oneBarewolf is the helpful oneBarewolf is the helpful oneBarewolf is the helpful oneBarewolf is the helpful oneBarewolf is the helpful oneBarewolf is the helpful oneBarewolf is the helpful oneBarewolf is the helpful oneBarewolf is the helpful oneBarewolf is the helpful one
Send a message via MSN to Barewolf
Question New Laptop

My Dads gone and bought my Mum a Laptop and he bought a Router as well. As My PC Upstairs is the one that is connected to Broadband I could use some help as to what I need to do on Xmas Morning.

1) I plug in the router what do i connect to it? What happens with my NTL Modem?

2) When i set up the Router correctly do i change anything on "MY" Pc to allow my Mums Laptop to share Broadband? If so What?

3) Assuming i have done 1 and 2 correctly do i need to set anything up on her Laptop? Or will she be able to Surf the Net straight away?

4) Can i send Files from my PC to her Laptop Downstairs without wires or is that madness? IE Send a Movie Clip.

5) Is there anything else I need to know? This is new territory for me and i dont want to screw either machine up sorting it out Xmas morning, Or loose my Broadband messing around.
Barewolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 12-12-2006, 14:20   #2
MovedGoalPosts
Inactive

MovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny stars
MovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny stars
Re: New Laptop

Is the new laptop / router wired or wireless - I'm suspecting the latter. Is the router cable compatible (doesn't have an ADSL modem built in).

Basic setup should be simple: Power off current modem, and PC. ethernet cable between modem and router (WAN). Ethernet between Router (LAN) and PC. Power on modem, then router, then PC. Should all work seamlessly, unless you've previously playing with the PC's network settings such that they don't autodetect the network addresses.

Setup wireless only once you have wired connection going. If presented with a choice, make sure you use infrastructure mode to enable file sharing between wired and wireless stuff.

Realistically it's a case of following the router's instructions.
MovedGoalPosts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2006, 18:06   #3
Barewolf
Inactive

Services: Talk Talk 1.5mb wishing it was Virgin 20mb
Barewolf is the helpful oneBarewolf is the helpful oneBarewolf is the helpful oneBarewolf is the helpful oneBarewolf is the helpful oneBarewolf is the helpful oneBarewolf is the helpful oneBarewolf is the helpful oneBarewolf is the helpful oneBarewolf is the helpful oneBarewolf is the helpful oneBarewolf is the helpful oneBarewolf is the helpful oneBarewolf is the helpful oneBarewolf is the helpful oneBarewolf is the helpful oneBarewolf is the helpful one
Send a message via MSN to Barewolf

yeah its wireless. theres a router which is like a Modem. and theres another bit with it, i dont know where you place it but its like a transmitter or reciever. Best way to discribe it is if i had a Base station cordless phone and then i had a second phone, if that makes sense?
Barewolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2006, 18:19   #4
zing_deleted

Is it definately a router for a cable modem? The other thing that comes with it is most likely a usb wireless receiver this will be for the laptop unless that has wireless built in,You will need to power cycle everything as stated above by Rob then you will need to browse the router set up web pages (RTFM)and turn wireless on and set up security use wpa pre shared key and set a password .Then on the laptop,if wireless is built in right click on wireless icon and open the utility search for router connect and add passowrd .If it does not install software for wireless adapter and connect that then follow above steps

Test it while there out make sure you have the right kit and make sure your not leaving it till the last minute. Best tackle file sharing later
Old 12-12-2006, 18:43   #5
MovedGoalPosts
Inactive

MovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny stars
MovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny stars

Of course if you post the exact models of the bit's you've got we can give you more precise advice. Depends if you think the pressie recipient is likely to find this thread before the big day I suppose
MovedGoalPosts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2006, 20:41   #6
micken
Inactive

micken is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Barewolf. Before you unplug anything do yourself a favour and download the free trial of NetworkMagic from http://www.networkmagic.com. This will help you set up your network once it's all connected properly.

You need to provide details of the hardware to the forum so that folks can check that it's all compatible in order to avoid disappointments on Xmas Day.

Best regards and Happy Xmas.

Mick
micken is offline   Reply With Quote