Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Can i upgrade to 500Mbit

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service

Can i upgrade to 500Mbit

Old 03-11-2019, 00:23   #1
bigsinky
cf.addict

Services: Broadband Gig1
bigsinky is on a distinguished roadbigsinky is on a distinguished road
Can i upgrade to 500Mbit

Sorry folks but is there anyway to upgrade to 500mbit without paying the extortionate £99 price tag with the ooomph bundle. i currently run 350mbit only broadband at £47 per month. oh I'm in Belfast btw. FTTC with about 50m of copper.

TIA
bigsinky is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 03-11-2019, 03:36   #2
Paul
Dr Pepper Addict
Cable Forum Team

Services: Flextel SIP : Sky Mobile : Sky Q TV : VM BB (1000 Mbps) : Aquiss FTTP (330 Mbps)
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars
Re: Can i upgrade to 500Mbit

AFAIK, its still not possible atm.

Baby, I was born this way.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 15:41   #3
ash45
cf.member

Services: Gig1
ash45 is an unknown quantity at this point

the only way currently to get 500 without oomph is via the VM business website this is how i have it thought the price is £70pm so for the extra 29 quid you get a fair bit extra for your money via the residential side lol
ash45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2019, 13:15   #4
bigsinky
cf.addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ash45 View Post
the only way currently to get 500 without oomph is via the VM business website this is how i have it thought the price is £70pm so for the extra 29 quid you get a fair bit extra for your money via the residential side lol
actually only 62 quid. i am paying 50 quid now. will they allow me to switch from a residential customer to a business customer? whats the new hitron router like? i take it i stick with 1 dynamic ip address?
Old 04-11-2019, 13:30   #5
Grimpy
cf.addict

Grimpy is an unknown quantity at this point

Even if you get the oompth bundle you are not guaranteed 500.
Grimpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2019, 20:50   #6
ash45
cf.member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigsinky View Post
actually only 62 quid. i am paying 50 quid now. will they allow me to switch from a residential customer to a business customer? whats the new hitron router like? i take it i stick with 1 dynamic ip address?
Oh its gone down since i looked other day keep in mind VM business pricing is exclusive for VAT my bills £75 after all VAT and craps been added on lol,

Yes you can keep the dynamic ip option or add static ones if you please,

As long as ya not in contract you should have no problem switching over, VM contracts are not changeable mid contract between residential / business though oddly enough they do allow you to have both at the same time if thats something you want to spend the dosh on, also bare in mind if you have TV with them and have a V6 box you cant use business broadband it has to be residential

The Hitron isn't exactly brilliant but its not the worst ive had to use its basically identical to the SHUB3 internally other than having 4 phone ports on it VS 2 it does its job since i dumped the static ip i run mine in modem mode and use my own router so i dont really notice it much and i always get decent speeds so its not really hampering much

business does end up costing more in the end for not much difference i only really got it originally because at the time i wanted static ips which i no longer need but the fact they dont bundle the extra speed behind other bundles and the 12 hour SLA is kinda nice to still have, im just waiting for them to roll out the Gbit one for the extra upload speed lol

That Turned into a bit of a essay but hope it helps lol

Ash
Old 08-11-2019, 08:26   #7
bigsinky
cf.addict

Quote:
Oh its gone down since i looked other day keep in mind VM business pricing is exclusive for VAT my bills £75 after all VAT and craps been added on lol,
my bad yes its plus VAT

Quote:

As long as ya not in contract you should have no problem switching over, VM contracts are not changeable mid contract between residential / business though oddly enough they do allow you to have both at the same time if thats something you want to spend the dosh on, also bare in mind if you have TV with them and have a V6 box you cant use business broadband it has to be residential
VM business were actually dead on about that. they take over residential account with no pemalties.

Quote:
The Hitron isn't exactly brilliant but its not the worst ive had to use its basically identical to the SHUB3 internally other than having 4 phone ports on it VS 2 it does its job since i dumped the static ip i run mine in modem mode and use my own router so i dont really notice it much and i always get decent speeds so its not really hampering much
I sort of thought that much. still the puma chipsets then?

Quote:
business does end up costing more in the end for not much difference i only really got it originally because at the time i wanted static ips which i no longer need but the fact they dont bundle the extra speed behind other bundles and the 12 hour SLA is kinda nice to still have, im just waiting for them to roll out the Gbit one for the extra upload speed lol

That Turned into a bit of a essay but hope it helps lol

Ash
The new modem SH4 is more a DOCSIS 3.1 upgrade as it only have gigabit ports. Quelle surpise. 1Gbit service actually runs at 1150mbit so the modem hasnt got the hardware to cope. passive cooling as well but not up to the job according to some Southampton users.
Old 08-11-2019, 10:56   #8
pip08456
Sad Doig Fan!

Services: With VM for BB 250Mb service.(Deal)
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star

Quote:
my bad yes its plus VAT

VM business were actually dead on about that. they take over residential account with no pemalties.

The new modem SH4 is more a DOCSIS 3.1 upgrade as it only have gigabit ports. Quelle surpise. 1Gbit service actually runs at 1150mbit so the modem hasnt got the hardware to cope. passive cooling as well but not up to the job according to some Southampton users.
The SH4 is not passively cooled.
pip08456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2019, 12:36   #9
ash45
cf.member

Quote:
my bad yes its plus VAT

Ah didn't realise they'd started doing contract take overs when i ordered they said they couldn't at the time,

ive seen some screenshots of the config files on the Gbit service & that user actually had a 1200Mbit config but yes it was stupid of them to only include Gbit ports as we all know the wifi aint gunna get those speeds lol but i guess its more about multi device than single devices getting those speeds as far as VM are concerned

The hitron uses bang on the same chip set as the SH3 so yes still the puma TBF at least in modem mode i havnt really had any problems with it though, i do with they'd just let us buy our own modems like they do in other parts of the world on cable networks as TBF i do actually prefer only having 1 device lol but at the same time id rather use my own router than the limited interface of the SH3/Hitron
Old 11-11-2019, 13:16   #10
bigsinky
cf.addict

Quote:
Ah didn't realise they'd started doing contract take overs when i ordered they said they couldn't at the time,
only going by what the team in belfast told me.

Quote:
ive seen some screenshots of the config files on the Gbit service & that user actually had a 1200Mbit config but yes it was stupid of them to only include Gbit ports as we all know the wifi aint gunna get those speeds lol but i guess its more about multi device than single devices getting those speeds as far as VM are concerned
yep. thought that myself. loads on wifi both 2.4 for the range and 5.0. 24 port gigabit unmanaged switch with pcs and laptops connected. phillips hue hub and 7 raspberry pi all going

Quote:
The hitron uses bang on the same chip set as the SH3 so yes still the puma TBF at least in modem mode i havnt really had any problems with it though, i do with they'd just let us buy our own modems like they do in other parts of the world on cable networks as TBF i do actually prefer only having 1 device lol but at the same time id rather use my own router than the limited interface of the SH3/Hitron
i have another thread about modems around the 150 mark to replace the SH3. so your saying the hitron is just another SH3 with a different badge? you aint getting a router with even a 2.5 gig network port for a ton and a half
Old 11-11-2019, 21:05   #11
ash45
cf.member

Quote:

i have another thread about modems around the 150 mark to replace the SH3. so your saying the hitron is just another SH3 with a different badge? you aint getting a router with even a 2.5 gig network port for a ton and a half
yea its literally the same router almost minor differences lol but nothing outstanding lol. the only real difference being the firmware and extra phone ports lol. no idea what the business equivalent of the SH4 will be when they finally get around to that but id guess yet another ugly hitron too lol