Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Argh my eyes!!!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Internet Discussion
Register FAQ Community Calendar

PayPal Scam?

Old 03-12-2004, 21:06   #1
gary_580

PayPal Scam?

Notice of Verification Necessity

Please read this important information

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Why did I get the notice?

You have been sent this notice because the records of PayPal, Inc. indicate you are a current or former PayPal account holder. PayPal is conducting a periodic update of the records. To ensure your account's security, it is important that you provide us accurate information. Please take a moment to verify the personal information we have on file. This notice provides instructions on how to verify your current PayPal account.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What should I do now?

We sincerely ask you, as a PayPal account holder, to login to your account and verify the necessary information. Make the necessary verification within 5 working days, or your account might get temporarily suspended. Proceed with the link below.

the link goes to here

javascript:ol('http://www.topgsmfrance.com/out.php?url=http://200.215.16.194/Agenda/');

Looks a bit dodgy to me
Advertisement
Old 03-12-2004, 21:07   #2
smicer07
Inactive

smicer07 has reached the bronze age
smicer07 has reached the bronze agesmicer07 has reached the bronze agesmicer07 has reached the bronze agesmicer07 has reached the bronze agesmicer07 has reached the bronze agesmicer07 has reached the bronze agesmicer07 has reached the bronze age
Send a message via AIM to smicer07 Send a message via MSN to smicer07 Send a message via Yahoo to smicer07
Re: PayPal Scam?

Well dodgy m8.
smicer07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2004, 21:10   #3
Paul
Dr Pepper Addict
Cable Forum Team

Services: Flextel SIP : Sky Mobile : Sky Q TV : VM BB (1000 Mbps) : Aquiss FTTP (330 Mbps)
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars

Scam .... Scam .... Scam .... Scam .... Scam .... Scam .... Scam ....

Baby, I was born this way.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2004, 21:14   #4
Xaccers
Inactive

Xaccers has a pair of shiny starsXaccers has a pair of shiny starsXaccers has a pair of shiny starsXaccers has a pair of shiny stars
Xaccers has a pair of shiny starsXaccers has a pair of shiny starsXaccers has a pair of shiny starsXaccers has a pair of shiny starsXaccers has a pair of shiny starsXaccers has a pair of shiny starsXaccers has a pair of shiny starsXaccers has a pair of shiny starsXaccers has a pair of shiny starsXaccers has a pair of shiny starsXaccers has a pair of shiny starsXaccers has a pair of shiny stars

It redirects to a PayPal login page hosted at http://www.cmnnet.com.br/Agenda/

Which then runs:

https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_login-run
Xaccers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2004, 21:16   #5
gary_580

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xaccers
you think? that never gets in the address line, looks to me as if its done to make you think its doing that
Old 03-12-2004, 21:21   #6
Xaccers
Inactive

Xaccers has a pair of shiny starsXaccers has a pair of shiny starsXaccers has a pair of shiny starsXaccers has a pair of shiny stars
Xaccers has a pair of shiny starsXaccers has a pair of shiny starsXaccers has a pair of shiny starsXaccers has a pair of shiny starsXaccers has a pair of shiny starsXaccers has a pair of shiny starsXaccers has a pair of shiny starsXaccers has a pair of shiny starsXaccers has a pair of shiny starsXaccers has a pair of shiny starsXaccers has a pair of shiny starsXaccers has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by gary_580
you think? that never gets in the address line, looks to me as if its done to make you think its doing that
Sorry, apparently runs
It's listed at the top of the page that loads, and the source looks like paypal stuff.
Definitely stinks though.
Xaccers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2004, 21:25   #7
Gareth
cf.mega poster

Gareth has a pair of shiny starsGareth has a pair of shiny starsGareth has a pair of shiny starsGareth has a pair of shiny starsGareth has a pair of shiny starsGareth has a pair of shiny stars
Gareth has a pair of shiny starsGareth has a pair of shiny starsGareth has a pair of shiny starsGareth has a pair of shiny starsGareth has a pair of shiny starsGareth has a pair of shiny stars

Yes, definitely sounds like a scam. And performing an nslookup on www.paypal.com shows all their addresses fall under the following:

216.113.188.*

And, according to Visual Route, the site they link to h*t*t*p:// 200.215.16.194/Agenda is located in Brazil.

I'm sure I've seen an address to report scam to PayPal - might be worth browsing their site to find it.

edit: also, why have a redirect from that topgsmfrance.com website...? Not very legit, either, imo.
Gareth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2004, 21:27   #8
Tristan
Inactive

Services: Telewest DTV & 4Meg BB (Bath), NTL DTV and 2Meg BB (Poole)
Tristan has reached the bronze age
Tristan has reached the bronze ageTristan has reached the bronze ageTristan has reached the bronze ageTristan has reached the bronze ageTristan has reached the bronze ageTristan has reached the bronze ageTristan has reached the bronze ageTristan has reached the bronze ageTristan has reached the bronze ageTristan has reached the bronze ageTristan has reached the bronze ageTristan has reached the bronze ageTristan has reached the bronze ageTristan has reached the bronze ageTristan has reached the bronze ageTristan has reached the bronze ageTristan has reached the bronze ageTristan has reached the bronze ageTristan has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by gary_580
Notice of Verification Necessity

Please read this important information

Why did I get the notice?

You have been sent this notice because the records of PayPal, Inc. indicate you are a current or former PayPal account holder. PayPal is conducting a periodic update of the records. To ensure your account's security, it is important that you provide us accurate information. Please take a moment to verify the personal information we have on file. This notice provides instructions on how to verify your current PayPal account.

What should I do now?

We sincerely ask you, as a PayPal account holder, to login to your account and verify the necessary information. Make the necessary verification within 5 working days, or your account might get temporarily suspended. Proceed with the link below.

the link goes to here

javascript:ol('http://www.topgsmfrance.com/out.php?url=http://200.215.16.194/Agenda/');

Looks a bit dodgy to me
Looks very dodgy to me too. Perhaps an attempt to exploit a vulnerability in IE?

PayPal have a page to report (aparent?) scams like this:

https://www.paypal.com/uk/cgi-bin/we...center-outside

you can see that is the genuine PayPal site, HTTPS and all! I'd recommend forwarding the e-mail to them and seeing what they say.
Tristan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2004, 21:29   #9
Gareth
cf.mega poster

Oops, just seen the posts made whilst I was finding my Visual Route PIN.... heh, you guys are too quick for me
Gareth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2004, 15:08   #10
MikeyB
cf.geek

Services: BT FTTP, Humax Foxsat HDR Freesat+
MikeyB has much to be proud ofMikeyB has much to be proud ofMikeyB has much to be proud ofMikeyB has much to be proud ofMikeyB has much to be proud ofMikeyB has much to be proud ofMikeyB has much to be proud ofMikeyB has much to be proud ofMikeyB has much to be proud ofMikeyB has much to be proud of
Exclamation Re: PayPal Scam?

I've just recieved a different PayPal Scam, the "from" address is service@paypal.com wording of email:

Dear PayPal member,

Due to concerns, for the safety and integrity of your PayPal account we have issued this warning message.
It has come to our attention that your account information needs to be updated due to inactive members, frauds and spoof reports.If you could please take 5-10 minutes out of your online experience and renew your records. You will not run into any future problems with the online service. However, failure to update your records will result in account suspension.

Once you have updated your account records, your PayPal account service will not be interrupted and will continue as normal. Please follow the link below, login to your account and renew your account information:

http://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_login-run

Sincerely,
Paypal Department

The link just above "Sincerely" actually goes to:
http://www.kimspedition.go.ro/wwwenc...paginamea.html

Which shows a page like in the attached image. Note the URL in the address bar:
MikeyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2004, 17:03   #11
Stephen
Bah Humbug!!

Services: Sky Q 2Tb, Sky Q mini, boxsets and Sports & Movies HD, Sky Fibre unlimited
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star

I had same email last month. needless to say got deleted straight away.
Old 04-12-2004, 17:22   #12
paulyoung666
Permanently Banned

paulyoung666 has a nice shiny star
paulyoung666 has a nice shiny starpaulyoung666 has a nice shiny starpaulyoung666 has a nice shiny starpaulyoung666 has a nice shiny starpaulyoung666 has a nice shiny starpaulyoung666 has a nice shiny starpaulyoung666 has a nice shiny starpaulyoung666 has a nice shiny starpaulyoung666 has a nice shiny starpaulyoung666 has a nice shiny starpaulyoung666 has a nice shiny star

just the wording of them smells phishy to me
paulyoung666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2004, 10:22   #13
Electrolyte01

I just got an email from "so called" Paypal saying some one has tried to log into my account too many times and so my account has been locked for 24 hours, if I want to get back into it within that time I need to "verify" my self, which, the link they gave me goes to something other than Paypal. I just signed in on Paypal with no problem at all, so watch it, there making YET ANOTHER scam.
Old 14-12-2004, 12:53   #14
Paul
Dr Pepper Addict
Cable Forum Team

Services: Flextel SIP : Sky Mobile : Sky Q TV : VM BB (1000 Mbps) : Aquiss FTTP (330 Mbps)
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars

AFAIK Paypal do not suspend accounts and then ask you to re-verify - so any e-mail that says this is a lie and a scam, delete them.

Baby, I was born this way.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2004, 13:21   #15
Neil
Inactive

Neil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze array
Neil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze array

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul M
AFAIK Paypal do not suspend accounts and then ask you to re-verify - so any e-mail that says this is a lie and a scam, delete them.
Make sure you forward it to spoof@paypal.com & spoof@ebay.com 1st though.
Neil is offline   Reply With Quote