Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Netflix/Streaming Services

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Netflix/Streaming Services
Closed Thread

Old 20-07-2016, 13:32   #2866
spiderplant
cf.mega poster

spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars
spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars
Re: Netflix/Streaming Services

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1andrew1 View Post
I guess live sports account for a lot of viewing.
Guess again!

http://www.barb.co.uk/viewing-data/m...wing-by-genre/

(Sport viewing in June is unusually high - check earlier months too)
Advertisement
Old 20-07-2016, 15:15   #2867
zantarous
www.magicorptech.blogspot

Services: V.I.P
zantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful one

What people still look at a TV guide work out what time something is on and watch it when broadcast? That's crazy.

I have given up pretty much on live TV, even with my Now TV sub only watch on demand. Heck when breaking news happens I have a choice of every major news outlet in the world live streaming on YouTube.

On demand and delivery over the internet is the future, actually it's right now.
Old 20-07-2016, 23:20   #2868
Mad Max
cf.mega poster

Mad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze array
Mad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze array

Quote:
Originally Posted by zantarous View Post
What people still look at a TV guide work out what time something is on and watch it when broadcast? That's crazy.

I have given up pretty much on live TV, even with my Now TV sub only watch on demand. Heck when breaking news happens I have a choice of every major news outlet in the world live streaming on YouTube.

On demand and delivery over the internet is the future, actually it's right now.

Answer.........= Den.......
Old 21-07-2016, 06:42   #2869
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Yes l guess its nice be called a old fuddy duddy.
Old 21-07-2016, 09:41   #2870
zantarous

zantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful one

I don't want to derail the conversation but why is that Den? You have cable TV so not adverse to technology why the dislike of streaming tech?

The one think to take into account is that Netflix look as though they may just change the game here, they have exclusive rights to broadcast the new Star Trek in 188 countries (not the US and Canada) which means for the first time we will get to see a show shortly after broadcast all around the world. There will be no dropping the show because it doesn't get huge ratings (Netfilx have always stated this is immaterial to them) or shoving it into the grave yard slot.

If the show performs poorly on CBS but has a huge international audience that CBS can monetise that will keep the show going. Broadcasters like Sky ho have been dominant for so long simply can't offer distribution on the scale that Netflix can. There is no will this be shown in HD, if it is available in HD and has 5.1 audio then that is what will be available to the viewer.
Old 21-07-2016, 10:05   #2871
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze
1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by denphone View Post
Yes l guess its nice be called a old fuddy duddy.
Nought wrong with the Radio Times, marker pen and an alarm clock to remind you when the next programme is on.
Old 21-07-2016, 10:18   #2872
denphone
Still alive and fighting

denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

l am not adverse to streaming totally zan but l suppose you can call me old fashioned as we like nothing better then looking through the TV guide and planning what we will watch on the TV.

---------- Post added at 10:18 ---------- Previous post was at 10:16 ----------

Quote:
Nought wrong with the Radio Times, marker pen and an alarm clock to remind you when the next programme is on.
Its called memory loss and those who are younger might get that a little bit more when they start seeing their hair go grey.
Old 21-07-2016, 11:01   #2873
theone2k10
Inactive

Services: Plusnet 40mb unlimited fibre, roku, Verizon, netflix, nowtv, hbogo, hulu, SKY+HD box sets pack
theone2k10 has reached the bronze age
theone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze age

Quote:
I don't want to derail the conversation but why is that Den? You have cable TV so not adverse to technology why the dislike of streaming tech?

The one think to take into account is that Netflix look as though they may just change the game here, they have exclusive rights to broadcast the new Star Trek in 188 countries (not the US and Canada) which means for the first time we will get to see a show shortly after broadcast all around the world. There will be no dropping the show because it doesn't get huge ratings (Netfilx have always stated this is immaterial to them) or shoving it into the grave yard slot.

If the show performs poorly on CBS but has a huge international audience that CBS can monetise that will keep the show going. Broadcasters like Sky ho have been dominant for so long simply can't offer distribution on the scale that Netflix can. There is no will this be shown in HD, if it is available in HD and has 5.1 audio then that is what will be available to the viewer.
I still use a paper tv guide i but tv choice on ac weekly basis and i don't even watch live tv lol or even have so much as a ariel connected to my tv, i guess me buying tv guide weekly is just out of habit.
Old 21-07-2016, 11:32   #2874
zantarous

Quote:
l am not adverse to streaming totally zan but l suppose you can call me old fashioned as we like nothing better then looking through the TV guide and planning what we will watch on the TV.[COLOR="Silver"]
That takes me back to being a teenager in the 90s and buying the Radio Times at Christmas to plan all my recordings. The rest of the year I would just use Teletext.

Have you tried the 30 free trial of Netflix? I was a quite hesitant at first did take about a year and a half after they launched in the UK for me to try it. But now I wouldn't go back to liner TV, no adds, start on one device and pick up on another. Between Neflix, Amazon and Now TV I get pretty much everything I want when I want. No need to plan viewing start a show and watch the whole season over a few days. Then start the next one show. I find I watch a lot less TV this way but more quality.

And Amazon has the killer feature of caching shows for off line viewing for when I commute or travel.
Old 21-07-2016, 17:41   #2875
Horizon
Media Watcher

Services: Sky, Cable & Freeview
Horizon has reached the bronze age
Horizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze age

I can tell everyone when my linear tv viewing started to drop dramatically and that was when ntl increased the broadband speeds around 2004 ish. Read into that what you want...

If the BBC, ITV, Ch4 and 5 showed the shows I want to watch, I would watch them. But they don't. The quality and variety has dropped dramatically on the main channels.

I too used to love getting the Christmas tv guides and planning viewing, but that's gone out of the window long ago. With the internet and being able to chit chat about any old rubbish on forums like these to fill time has also eaten a lot into my tv viewing time. So, like zantorous, I watch a lot less tv but better quality.

What I find interesting between the broadcasters here and in the States and how they have reacted to streaming services is they have gone in complete opposite directions.

Here, quality has gone down. Yes, the BBC do still do dramas, but they're so scattered all over the schedule that I generally miss them and I have no idea what the others do as I don't bother with them.

But in the States they increased substantially the amount of dramas and comedies they do. Yes, some of it is complete rubbish, but a lot of it isn't. And there is such variety in the kind of shows they do from the bog standard police/medical procedural to fantasy/sci-fi fare like Game of Thrones.

Perhaps its not a big deal that the new Star Trek show will not be on "normal" tv, but I think it is.

As I have said before, I do not expect the likes of Netflix to survive another ten years, I assume the big media companies would have bought them out by then/launched their own streaming services. But we are in a new world.

I always looked forward to finding which big film would be on ITV on a Saturday night only then to have it ruined by the news "interruption". Now there is choice, real choice.

---------- Post added at 17:41 ---------- Previous post was at 17:33 ----------

Quote:
I think you make some good points there Horizon. In essence, content is king though brands eg BBC, Channel 4 have a lot of pull too.

The current pay-TV sports business models favour Sky Sports and BT Sport but elsewhere different models may surface. In Germany, Perform Group has launched an OTT service called DAZN (which translates as all sports, one platform). It will offer web-video rights of the Bundesliga, other European football, US sports like NBA and NFL, tennis, handball, ice-hockey, darts and other sports live and on-demand for a monthly fee. It will be available via smart TVs, tablets, smartphones, PCs, laptops and games consoles. The service will be offered in HD quality with Dolby Digital Plus 5.1 surround sound. Selected content will be provided in Ultra HD/4K.
http://www.broadbandtvnews.com/2016/...ce-in-germany/[COLOR="Silver"]
10+ million people don't pay for Sky because they love Murdoch, but because they have the football and film rights. Now BT is chipping away at Murdoch's dominance, I believe his reign will start to fade.

You then only need someone like Netflix to pick up just one batch of football matches and it will erode Sky down further until the current pay tv model becomes unsustainable.
Old 21-07-2016, 17:43   #2876
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Quote:
That takes me back to being a teenager in the 90s and buying the Radio Times at Christmas to plan all my recordings. The rest of the year I would just use Teletext.

Have you tried the 30 free trial of Netflix? I was a quite hesitant at first did take about a year and a half after they launched in the UK for me to try it. But now I wouldn't go back to liner TV, no adds, start on one device and pick up on another. Between Neflix, Amazon and Now TV I get pretty much everything I want when I want. No need to plan viewing start a show and watch the whole season over a few days. Then start the next one show. I find I watch a lot less TV this way but more quality.

And Amazon has the killer feature of caching shows for off line viewing for when I commute or travel.
Actually we do have Netflix in our household as one of our family pays for it as he watches it quite a lot and we ourselves have watched several things on there so streaming does have a small influence on the family entertainment one could say. and the family also have Amazon Prime as we as a family do order quite a bit on there so our son uses that as well but compared to him and others in our family l suppose you could call us old fashioned fuddy duddy's.
Old 21-07-2016, 17:57   #2877
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Indeed, we have real choice now. However, you cannot have the best of all worlds in respect of dramas without access to the BBC, ITV and Channel 4 and their satellite channels, and of course, the Sky channels.

You are so right that the good programmes are spread thinly across the channels these days. So I am with Den in going through the TV magazines, and I record everything worthwhile that I pick up.

However, unlike Den, I also watch TV series from Netflix, Amazon and Now TV. All together, these different outlets give a superb choice. Even in summer!

But conventional TV alone would leave me depleted.

---------- Post added at 17:54 ---------- Previous post was at 17:51 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horizon View Post
10+ million people don't pay for Sky because they love Murdoch, but because they have the football and film rights. Now BT is chipping away at Murdoch's dominance, I believe his reign will start to fade.

You then only need someone like Netflix to pick up just one batch of football matches and it will erode Sky down further until the current pay tv model becomes unsustainable.
Absolutely right, Horizon. Sky cannot expect to hang on to the Premiership rights forever. They will be challenged before much longer.

---------- Post added at 17:57 ---------- Previous post was at 17:54 ----------

Quote:
Actually we do have Netflix in our household as one of our family pays for it as he watches it quite a lot and we ourselves have watched several things on there so streaming does have a small influence on the family entertainment one could say. and the family also have Amazon Prime as we as a family do order quite a bit on there so our son uses that as well but compared to him and others in our family l suppose you could call us old fashioned fuddy duddy's.
It's only a matter of time before you see the error of your ways, Den! You have to adapt or die in this life, I have found!
Old 21-07-2016, 18:18   #2878
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Well l tend to make mistakes and errors every day so one more won't make any difference old boy.
Old 21-07-2016, 18:46   #2879
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
So I am with Den in going through the TV magazines, and I record everything worthwhile that I pick up.
Isn't that what the Tivo was supposedly meant to be good at ?

I thought this was supposed to be TiVos biggest selling point , discovering new content. What do you need a tv magazine for ?

I've never bought a tv magazine in years.
Old 21-07-2016, 23:32   #2880
johnathome
cf.geek

Services: 125Mb VM BB. Prime, XBMC. Paramount+, Netflix, D+
johnathome is a name known to alljohnathome is a name known to alljohnathome is a name known to alljohnathome is a name known to alljohnathome is a name known to alljohnathome is a name known to alljohnathome is a name known to alljohnathome is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_gain View Post
I be surprised if that figure is sustained. While the current adult demographic are probably more likely to watch linear/live TV the younger generation, the current 5-16 age group will be more at home streaming content.
Well i'm over 50 and 90% of my viewing is streaming, the only things i watch live are the news and sports. The TV will be on as background noise and i half watch it. Right now i'm surfing the web and deadliest catch is playing, the amount of adverts reminds me why i watch the way i do.

As an aside, quite happy to keep paying the licence fee as the Mrs is a bit technically challenged and prefers linear.
Closed Thread