Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Virgin Media Phorm Webwise Adverts [Updated: See Post No. 1, 77, 102 & 797]

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Virgin Media Phorm Webwise Adverts [Updated: See Post No. 1, 77, 102 & 797]
View Poll Results: Will you be opting out of the Virgin Ad Deal?
Yes, Definitely. 958 95.51%
No, I am quite happy to share my surfing habits with anyone. 45 4.49%
Voters: 1003. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 21-05-2008, 01:22   #6916
mark777
Inactive

Services: 0.4 Mbps BB + Phone
mark777 is a glorious beacon of lightmark777 is a glorious beacon of lightmark777 is a glorious beacon of lightmark777 is a glorious beacon of lightmark777 is a glorious beacon of lightmark777 is a glorious beacon of lightmark777 is a glorious beacon of light
Re: Virgin Media Phorm Webwise Adverts [Updated: See Post No. 1, 77, 102 & 797]

@phormwatch @vicz

Thankee muchly! About the last time I had anything to do with linu/uni/x was with Oracle and Forms 3. Linux then came on 2 x 1.44Mb floppies and Oracle at work run on a box with about the same spec as my little eee!

As far as I know, Kent was still filling his daipers. (Not nappies, because he is certainly not one of us!)
Advertisement
Old 21-05-2008, 02:34   #6917
ilago
Inactive

ilago is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark777 View Post

On a slightly off topic note, I've just bought one of those asus eee thingys. I like it a lot! Knowing there is a canny lot of bods posting on here, could anyone kindly point me towards some Linux Anti-virus/anti-spyware/firewall software? Ideally with a bit of a free trial so I can see if it grinds to a halt before I buy?
</end off topic>

Eventually I intend to buy 4 or 5 or 6 of them (not sure how many yet) and set up an internet advertising company and get really rich.

---------- Post added at 00:23 ---------- Previous post was at 00:21 ----------
Still off topic. I have a couple of EEEPCs. I run linux on all my machines. As phormwatch notes, you don't need AV on linux and linux isn't subject to the malware epidemic Windows suffers from. A firewall is commonsense for all systems. For all the information you need about anything on these it's worth checking the eeeuser site. There's a large community of interested users. http://forum.eeeuser.com/index.php PM me if you'd like more info.
Old 21-05-2008, 03:16   #6918
mark777
Inactive

mark777 is a glorious beacon of lightmark777 is a glorious beacon of lightmark777 is a glorious beacon of lightmark777 is a glorious beacon of lightmark777 is a glorious beacon of lightmark777 is a glorious beacon of lightmark777 is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilago View Post
Still off topic. I have a couple of EEEPCs. I run linux on all my machines. As phormwatch notes, you don't need AV on linux and linux isn't subject to the malware epidemic Windows suffers from. A firewall is commonsense for all systems. For all the information you need about anything on these it's worth checking the eeeuser site. There's a large community of interested users. http://forum.eeeuser.com/index.php PM me if you'd like more info.
Many thanks for this ilago. I found the wiki part of that site and I now have a proper desktop!

My thanks to you all for your kind replies. With the eeeuser.com site I can now forge ahead.

I don't want to take this thread off topic (it's too important) so with regards to the eee, i'll see you over on eeeuser.com. (but i'll lurk a bit first)
Old 21-05-2008, 09:05   #6919
vicz
Inactive

vicz is on a distinguished roadvicz is on a distinguished road

Quote:
@phormwatch @vicz

Thankee muchly! About the last time I had anything to do with linu/uni/x was with Oracle and Forms 3. Linux then came on 2 x 1.44Mb floppies and Oracle at work run on a box with about the same spec as my little eee!

As far as I know, Kent was still filling his daipers. (Not nappies, because he is certainly not one of us!)
Your welcome. BTW some of us still like playing with small linux see http://www.zonko.net (shameless plug)
Old 21-05-2008, 09:29   #6920
OldBear
Inactive

OldBear is an unknown quantity at this point

Criticism for 'UK database' plan

I know Dephormation Pete and some others mention some pages back that they felt this was a side issue, but reading some of the comments by people in this article, and considering that we are talking about privacy and the legallity of what Phorm and our ISPs are up to regarding mass grabs of our date, I think this is now relevant...

... especially when you see comments like the last one in the article.

Quote:
According to Gus Hosein, a senior fellow at Privacy International, the latest proposals could be even more controversial.

"The idea that ISPs need to collect data and send it en masse to central government is, without doubt, illegal," he said.
So, Gus, presumably, the idea that ISPs need to collect data and send it en masse to private companies to feed us unwanted advertising is also, without doubt, illegal. JMHO

Should make the PIA from 80/20 interesting reading.

OB
Old 21-05-2008, 09:42   #6921
tweetiepooh
Virgin Media Employee

Services: Staff MyRates BB: VM XXL TV: VM XL Phone : VM XL
tweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appeal
tweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appeal

AV for Linux try ClamAV. There are others too.

You do really want AV even on Linux. It is a less popular target but it's still a target and what if your Linux gets used as some form of vector to get to Windows boxes.

One issue is that some consumer Linux's are not as locked down as they could be. They are using Linux as a cheap platform that will be less resource intensive than XP or Vista. They are not primarily being used for their security.
Old 21-05-2008, 10:42   #6922
Wildie
Inactive

Wildie will become famous soon enoughWildie will become famous soon enoughWildie will become famous soon enough

just received a letter from my mp, he has signed the EDM 1311 on my request so it says.

thought i was in trouble letter direct from the commons.
Old 21-05-2008, 10:55   #6923
thebarron
Inactive

Services: VM 10mb, phone
thebarron is on a distinguished roadthebarron is on a distinguished road

Just received a letter from Tesco's who said they will bear my comments in mind at their next review meeting.

I wrote to them as a concerned ecommerce web developer and sugested that Phorm had the potential of informing Sainsbury's of their customers habits.

It would be good to get some of the big retailers on our side I think.
Old 21-05-2008, 11:08   #6924
mark777
Inactive

I see that Alexander now has "News item A" on google finance.

http://finance.google.com/finance?q=LON:PHRM

Nice one.

(looks like somone just dumped £200K of stock )
Old 21-05-2008, 11:09   #6925
Florence
Inactive

Services: The wonders of Sky TV BT line and Aquiss.net ADSL cable dies on 5th RIP VM.
Florence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appeal
Florence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebarron View Post
Just received a letter from Tesco's who said they will bear my comments in mind at their next review meeting.

I wrote to them as a concerned ecommerce web developer and sugested that Phorm had the potential of informing Sainsbury's of their customers habits.

It would be good to get some of the big retailers on our side I think.
should send the same to all large store saying is could do that for their competitors..

On another note all need to help on yet another forum this time it is one watched by BT since I often send links to threads for their attention.

Please read this first then there is a thread that needs some feed back ASAP to warn more to avoid.

http://www.ispreview.co.uk/articles/bt08/index.shtml

Lets take the battle to the public.

The last buy on phorm might lose more than his shirt looking at what he bought or it is insider buying to pump up phorm again.. But to pay £207,620 on shares in a phirm(sorry firm :P) as dodgy as phorm makes you wonder.

While on the war path is Brown going a step too far would you trust this government to handle personal data.. http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/05...base_proposed/
Old 21-05-2008, 11:36   #6926
rryles
Inactive

rryles will become famous soon enoughrryles will become famous soon enoughrryles will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by tweetiepooh View Post
AV for Linux try ClamAV. There are others too.

You do really want AV even on Linux. It is a less popular target but it's still a target and what if your Linux gets used as some form of vector to get to Windows boxes.

One issue is that some consumer Linux's are not as locked down as they could be. They are using Linux as a cheap platform that will be less resource intensive than XP or Vista. They are not primarily being used for their security.

In my experience the most common attack on a linux box is looking for week logins to ssh. If you have sshd exposed to the internet on its standard port you will get a new attack every day or two. There are various ways to stop this such as denyhosts, setting to a non standard port, disallowing password authentication or just sitting behind a NAT router/firewall.
Old 21-05-2008, 12:08   #6927
bluecar1
Inactive

Services: No DPI Kit snooping on USERS
bluecar1 has a spectacular aura about thembluecar1 has a spectacular aura about thembluecar1 has a spectacular aura about thembluecar1 has a spectacular aura about them

Quote:
I see that Alexander now has "News item A" on google finance.

http://finance.google.com/finance?q=LON:PHRM

Nice one.

(looks like somone just dumped £200K of stock )
that was a BUY not a SELL transation, see http://www.iii.co.uk/investment/deta...&timeframe=480
Old 21-05-2008, 12:08   #6928
OldBear
Inactive

OldBear is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Florence View Post
While on the war path is Brown going a step too far would you trust this government to handle personal data.. http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/05...base_proposed/
Totally agree, Florence.

I posted this yesterday when it appeared on the BBC website and some people said they felt it wasn't relevant, (much to my annoyance).

I've done a follow up today: http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/34...-post6920.html

Some interesting comments made by Privacy International.

OB
Old 21-05-2008, 12:12   #6929
mark777
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluecar1 View Post
that was a BUY not a SELL transation, see http://www.iii.co.uk/investment/deta...&timeframe=480
Closer to bid than asking price.

http://www.lse.co.uk/ShareTrades.asp...re=phorm_reg_s

I see iii has a different bid price.
Old 21-05-2008, 12:34   #6930
Florence
Inactive

Services: The wonders of Sky TV BT line and Aquiss.net ADSL cable dies on 5th RIP VM.
Florence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appeal
Florence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Closer to bid than asking price.

http://www.lse.co.uk/ShareTrades.asp...re=phorm_reg_s

I see iii has a different bid price.
Those share prices seem strange it shows the large £207 as a sell yet on ill it is showns as a buy.
Closed Thread