Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | problem with LW055 Sweex Wireless Router

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Got a challenging one

Old 28-05-2009, 10:34   #1
zing_deleted

Got a challenging one

History

Merlins Portal moved servers the other day. After the move I managed to gain access to the site no problem. Yesterday and today I have not been able to access the site. Asked around and found the sites up a running so its my end

Steps ive taken

Tried proxy servers no connection

Set up opendns no connection

Connected Modem direct to pc gained access to the site

Reset router (wrt54gs v1.1) and modem connected both (with reboots in sequence)no access

connected older router BEFSR41 rebooted in sequence gained access to the site

Reconnected WRT54GS and installed Tomato no access to site

Summary

Its only Merlins I have found I can not access its there and working on just the modem and the modem and older router. Under no circumstances can the GS connect to the site . Any ideas?

TIA
Advertisement
Old 28-05-2009, 10:50   #2
xpod
Inactive

Services: TV,Phone & BB
xpod has a bronzed appealxpod has a bronzed appeal
xpod has a bronzed appealxpod has a bronzed appealxpod has a bronzed appealxpod has a bronzed appealxpod has a bronzed appealxpod has a bronzed appealxpod has a bronzed appealxpod has a bronzed appealxpod has a bronzed appeal
Re: Got a challenging one

You`ve seemingly ruled out everything else so unless your IP is somehow blocked/ banned you could always try a live cd.Just to completely rule out something with your OS.

Sounds more like them blocking you somehow though.Mabey someone messed up on the server move?
xpod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2009, 10:57   #3
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars
SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars

Merlin has this message posted on the site, but i'm sure you have already taken those basic steps.

Also i have the same router as you Zing with default firmware and having no issues.

Quote:
Make sure take steps before end of the month, once end of the month comes the old site an host will be no more, so it will be important to make sure you have cleared old history etc from browser.
Old 28-05-2009, 11:15   #4
xpod
Inactive

xpod has a bronzed appealxpod has a bronzed appealxpod has a bronzed appealxpod has a bronzed appealxpod has a bronzed appealxpod has a bronzed appealxpod has a bronzed appealxpod has a bronzed appealxpod has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Make sure take steps before end of the month, once end of the month comes the old site an host will be no more, so it will be important to make sure you have cleared old history etc from browser.
We`re not about to witness CF`s biggest "Doh" moment are we....

Zing?

Old 28-05-2009, 12:03   #5
zing_deleted

No you are not. Cleared all them

What I didnt say was I tried other pc on my network that until I tried had never been connected to Merlins and I tried my mobile which did connect
Old 28-05-2009, 15:05   #6
xpod
Inactive

Quote:
No you are not. Cleared all them

What I didnt say was I tried other pc on my network that until I tried had never been connected to Merlins and I tried my mobile which did connect
How about checking your hosts file?you dont play around with that by any chance do you?Or try adding the site to "trusted sites" in your internet options.

Just having stabs in the dark myself.

EDIT:Also try a different browser on the PC in question,just to narrow things down.
Old 28-05-2009, 15:18   #7
southwell
Inactive

Services: Sky HD Virgin Phone + 50mb
southwell has entered a golden reputation erasouthwell has entered a golden reputation erasouthwell has entered a golden reputation erasouthwell has entered a golden reputation erasouthwell has entered a golden reputation erasouthwell has entered a golden reputation erasouthwell has entered a golden reputation erasouthwell has entered a golden reputation erasouthwell has entered a golden reputation erasouthwell has entered a golden reputation erasouthwell has entered a golden reputation era

Getting anything in the router logs?
southwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2009, 15:22   #8
Joxer
Inactive

Services: 20Mb BB, phone
Joxer is just really niceJoxer is just really niceJoxer is just really niceJoxer is just really niceJoxer is just really niceJoxer is just really nice
Send a message via MSN to Joxer

I would try spoofing the router MAC with the PCs MAC and reboot the modem.
Joxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2009, 17:15   #9
zing_deleted

Quote:
Originally Posted by southwell View Post
Getting anything in the router logs?
nowt in the logs

---------- Post added at 17:15 ---------- Previous post was at 17:14 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joxer View Post
I would try spoofing the router MAC with the PCs MAC and reboot the modem.
here was me thinking id covered all my bases lol well done and thank you mate cracked it

Still dunno why it was blocking me though
Old 28-05-2009, 17:20   #10
MovedGoalPosts
Inactive

MovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny stars
MovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by zinglebarb View Post
Still dunno why it was blocking me though
Somewhere in your past you must have been a naughty boy
MovedGoalPosts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2009, 17:27   #11
DocDutch
argh

Services: full house package
DocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronze
DocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob View Post
Somewhere in your past you must have been a naughty boy
dont you mean past,present and future?
DocDutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2009, 18:08   #12
Joxer
Inactive

Services: 20Mb BB, phone
Joxer is just really niceJoxer is just really niceJoxer is just really niceJoxer is just really niceJoxer is just really niceJoxer is just really nice
Send a message via MSN to Joxer

I'd say they thought you where a Bogon, like Vogons but with better poetry..
Joxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2009, 01:23   #13
Oxyg3n
Inactive

Oxyg3n is on a distinguished roadOxyg3n is on a distinguished road

To double check your still not pointing at the wrong server.

Start > Run > cmd > ipconfig /release > ipconfig /flushdns > ipconfig /registerdns > ipconfig /renew

If it dosnt, check to make sure you have no firewall running (Your behind a NAT router anyway, so you will be fine for the 10mins of testing your doing)

Another suggestion (you will be safe for the 10mins again) would be to disable your AV at the same time.

If it turns out to be one of them, then let me know what AV/Firewall your using, and il guide you though how to add them to your exempt list
Oxyg3n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2009, 08:41   #14
zing_deleted

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oxyg3n View Post
To double check your still not pointing at the wrong server.

Start > Run > cmd > ipconfig /release > ipconfig /flushdns > ipconfig /registerdns > ipconfig /renew

If it dosnt, check to make sure you have no firewall running (Your behind a NAT router anyway, so you will be fine for the 10mins of testing your doing)

Another suggestion (you will be safe for the 10mins again) would be to disable your AV at the same time.

If it turns out to be one of them, then let me know what AV/Firewall your using, and il guide you though how to add them to your exempt list

I know my way around firewalls and anti virus as you see by my initial post it was only the router that was blocking me and direct connection with modem and a different router allowed me access.
Old 29-05-2009, 13:29   #15
Oxyg3n
Inactive

Oxyg3n is on a distinguished roadOxyg3n is on a distinguished road

you could try resetting to factory defaults on the router (hold down reset button on back of router where you plug network cables into, for about 15secs, until it starts flashing on the front)
Oxyg3n is offline   Reply With Quote