Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Think Broadband Ping Monitor Results (POST YOURS)

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Think Broadband Ping Monitor Results (POST YOURS)

Old 03-06-2012, 09:33   #1591
Sirius
Grumpy Fecker

Services: Every Weekend
Sirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver bling
Sirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver bling
Re: Think Broadband Ping Monitor Results (POST YOURS)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwikbreaks View Post
The VM network is very granular indeed at the local level. Any given set of channels only serves a couple of hundred or so homes which is rather fortunate as the total bandwidth available on 4down 1up is 200/18Mbps. As VM sell 100/10 unlimited on that it isn't hard to see that a single 100Mbps customer near to you going flat out can seriously spoil your day.
Indeed

I have not yet recovered from whatever went on last week and yesterday was indeed horrible

https://www.macmillan.org.uk/cancer-...bladder-cancer
Sirius is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 03-06-2012, 12:15   #1592
buckleb
Inactive

Services: Vivid 200 Tivo 500GB
buckleb is a glorious beacon of lightbuckleb is a glorious beacon of lightbuckleb is a glorious beacon of lightbuckleb is a glorious beacon of lightbuckleb is a glorious beacon of lightbuckleb is a glorious beacon of lightbuckleb is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by thenry View Post
is that live Buck?

---------- Post added at 23:39 ---------- Previous post was at 23:34 ----------

no its not live. dude that was thinkbroadbands error not VM.

could you post your live monitor mate. i want to compare, your connection is literally the same as mine just in a different area of town. heres mine, fantastic as always...

Here's my graph for yesterday to compare to yours...

buckleb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 12:28   #1593
thenry
Inactive

thenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny star
thenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny star

---------- Post added at 12:28 ---------- Previous post was at 12:28 ----------

big difference
thenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 14:31   #1594
Telly_
Permanently Banned

Telly_ is an unknown quantity at this point

My 16Mb Sky connection the spikes are the usual Anytime+ downloads and general browsing speedtest etc. It is turning out to be the most stable internet connection I have ever had. Once Sky launch the rumoured low ping gaming trials later in the summer my minimum latency should drop. But as it is its fantastic for gaming.

[img]Download Failed (1)[/img]
Telly_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 14:33   #1595
boroboi
cf.geek

Services: TT Fibre Large 78mbit
boroboi has a fine set of Quadsboroboi has a fine set of Quadsboroboi has a fine set of Quadsboroboi has a fine set of Quadsboroboi has a fine set of Quadsboroboi has a fine set of Quadsboroboi has a fine set of Quadsboroboi has a fine set of Quadsboroboi has a fine set of Quadsboroboi has a fine set of Quadsboroboi has a fine set of Quadsboroboi has a fine set of Quadsboroboi has a fine set of Quadsboroboi has a fine set of Quads

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telly Bear View Post
My 16Mb Sky connection the spikes are the usual Anytime+ downloads and general browsing speedtest etc. It is turning out to be the most stable internet connection I have ever had. Once Sky launch the rumoured low ping gaming trials later in the summer my minimum latency should drop. But as it is its fantastic for gaming.

[img]Download Failed (1)[/img]
Indeed, as long as its stable and your avg hugs it tighter than a baby's nappy, then 28ms baseline is nothing to be quibbed at
boroboi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 14:41   #1596
Telly_
Permanently Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by boroboi View Post
Indeed, as long as its stable and your avg hugs it tighter than a baby's nappy, then 28ms baseline is nothing to be quibbed at
Yup and ping bbc.co.uk gives a lower ping then that monitor,

C:\Users\home>ping bbc.co.uk

Pinging bbc.co.uk [212.58.241.131] with 32 bytes of data:
Reply from 212.58.241.131: bytes=32 time=20ms TTL=246
Reply from 212.58.241.131: bytes=32 time=21ms TTL=246

Ping statistics for 212.58.241.131:
Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
Minimum = 20ms, Maximum = 21ms, Average = 21ms

C:\Users\home>

So I'm quite content.
Old 03-06-2012, 14:51   #1597
boroboi
cf.geek

Services: TT Fibre Large 78mbit
boroboi has a fine set of Quadsboroboi has a fine set of Quadsboroboi has a fine set of Quadsboroboi has a fine set of Quadsboroboi has a fine set of Quadsboroboi has a fine set of Quadsboroboi has a fine set of Quadsboroboi has a fine set of Quadsboroboi has a fine set of Quadsboroboi has a fine set of Quadsboroboi has a fine set of Quadsboroboi has a fine set of Quadsboroboi has a fine set of Quadsboroboi has a fine set of Quads

Even better then Must just be routing thats giving you the higher min.

I so want an ADSL line for gaming, i can get a BT line put in for free saving me £130 quid, but i just cant justify the extra £20 a month ontop of my virgin connection.
boroboi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 15:05   #1598
Telly_
Permanently Banned

Quote:

I so want an ADSL line for gaming, i can get a BT line put in for free saving me £130 quid, but i just cant justify the extra £20 a month ontop of my virgin connection.
I have noticed a MASSIVE improvement on xboxlive since moving to Sky but unfortunately right now they insist on having interleaved on. This increase's ping quite abit.

Apparently fast-path gaming lines could be trialed later this summer which could potentially cut my baseline/minimum ping in half maybe even more than half.I remember the old UKonline ADSL fastpath lines having crazy low pings.
Old 03-06-2012, 15:15   #1599
Bofrok
cf.addict

Services: VM TV, Broadband, Phone and Mobile
Bofrok is just really niceBofrok is just really niceBofrok is just really niceBofrok is just really niceBofrok is just really niceBofrok is just really nice

My Ambit router stopped working last week and it was replaced with a superhub (VMDG480) but I cannot get the Think Broadband monitor to work - is there something I'm overlooking?

I've seen posts that say you need a separate router, not doing that just for the monitor as wireless is currently better that with the Linksys router we were using. Another post said to disable UPnP but that didn't work and a post on Virgin's Community forums said to uncheck respond to ping request (I thought it should be checked).

Have also set up a new monitor for change of IP address.

Any suggestions appreciated.
Bofrok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 16:16   #1600
thenry
Inactive

thenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny star
thenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny star

if your SH is in combo mode router and modem functioning then log in to your SH

advanced settings

DMZ

tick the respond to ping box

apply

-----------------

note: if you switch to modem mode and link your own router your IP will change. you'll have to update that on your thinkbroadband ping monitors settings

if your using your own router double check ping response if enabled on it.
Old 03-06-2012, 16:39   #1601
jimgors
Inactive

Services: Virgin TV M+ 30MB XL
jimgors is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:

Took TalkTalk up on the offer on free instal + 12months half price. Can just cancel within 10days. They turn interleaving off also and allow you to have 6db.
Now you said Sky allow Fasthpath in the summer kinda gutted. Can get a good deal with them in tv ^
jimgors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 17:15   #1602
Bofrok
cf.addict

Services: VM TV, Broadband, Phone and Mobile
Bofrok is just really niceBofrok is just really niceBofrok is just really niceBofrok is just really niceBofrok is just really niceBofrok is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by thenry View Post
if your SH is in combo mode router and modem functioning then log in to your SH

advanced settings

DMZ

tick the respond to ping box

apply
Thank thenry,

Confirm SH is in combo mode and settings in DMZ are already as you state. Have tried rebooting SH but still the same.
Bofrok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 18:35   #1603
thenry
Inactive

double check the IP addy. untick the boxes within services or modem mode the thing and link your own router then set up a new monitor, delete your older ones. you said you have a Linksys?
Old 03-06-2012, 19:40   #1604
hjf288
Inactive

Services: 50Mbit
hjf288 is just really nicehjf288 is just really nicehjf288 is just really nicehjf288 is just really nicehjf288 is just really nicehjf288 is just really nice

Mines looking better since I dumped the SH again
hjf288 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 21:40   #1605
babis3g
Inactive

Services: >100Mb<TV M+,TiVo 1T,V HD >Phone M
babis3g is a splendid one to beholdbabis3g is a splendid one to beholdbabis3g is a splendid one to beholdbabis3g is a splendid one to beholdbabis3g is a splendid one to beholdbabis3g is a splendid one to beholdbabis3g is a splendid one to beholdbabis3g is a splendid one to beholdbabis3g is a splendid one to behold

SHAME not even been in use all day

TT adsl fast path 9 in use all day
babis3g is offline   Reply With Quote