Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Superhub cloning

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service

Streaming using powerlines

Old 14-02-2018, 23:30   #1
AlabasterLyn
cf.addict

AlabasterLyn has a spectacular aura about themAlabasterLyn has a spectacular aura about themAlabasterLyn has a spectacular aura about themAlabasterLyn has a spectacular aura about them
Streaming using powerlines

We had a V6 box installed a couple of weeks ago and our old TIVO box was moved to our TV room in place of the old V+ box.

As we had about 49% of the TIVO box full we were keen to stream from the TIVO box to the V6 box and from what I have read on here and on the VM main site you can do this using powerlines, so today we got the Netgear 1200 ones from VM and I set them up earlier today.

They seemed at first to be working fine, I managed to watch a whole hour with no problems, but this evening we were watching a 50 min programme and the connection cut out about every 7/8mins, which was annoying.

I'm not very good with technical things, so I'm not sure if maybe I have set something up wrong, although as it did work fine at first I'm assuming I must have set them up right.

The set up we have is a superhub upstairs, which I assume is set to modem only as we use our Apple router. We have the TIVO box in one room downstairs and the V6 box in another room. The V6 box is connected through WiFi as the engineer said the signal was good enough to connect it that way.

I've got an ethernet cable going from the back of the superhub into the first powerline plug and the other ethernet cable from the back of the TIVO box to the second powerline plug. Both plugs have 3 green lights on them and as far as I am aware our electrics are not old.

I'd appreciate any advice if anyone can help as the idea of being able to stream seems such a good one in theory!
AlabasterLyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 15-02-2018, 08:11   #2
Sephiroth
Simples

Services: 1 Gbps; Hub 4 MM; ASUS RT-AX88U; Ultimate VOLT. BT Infinity2; Devolo 1200AV
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star
Re: Streaming using powerlines

First, I'd say you are not in modem mode because you are driving a Powerline from a hub Ethernet port.

Second, driving the V6 over WiFi is a bad idea unless you (not the VM tech who knows nothing imo) are certain that there is a strong 5GHz channel signal at the V6 box. You probably don't know whether the V6 is connecting using the dodgy 2.4GHz band or the 5GHz band.

To bring this under control, I recommend you do what I do. I have 2 x TIVO boxes all connected to my router via Powerline adaptors in different parts of the house. I strongly recommend you buy another PLW1200 (with mains pass-through).

Next there's the matter of modem mode. The hubs - all models - are poor devices under load. Yet you have an Apple Router (an Airport Extreme). They are excellent routers, albeit Apple quirky. You might actually care to put your hub into modem mode and work off the AE.

Finally I use Netgear Powerline in one of my houses and am totally satisfied with them. I no longer use an Apple Router but the one I have served me well before I switched to ASUS (no need for you to do so).

Keep us posted.

My advice is at your risk.
Sephiroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2018, 12:00   #3
AlabasterLyn
cf.addict

AlabasterLyn has a spectacular aura about themAlabasterLyn has a spectacular aura about themAlabasterLyn has a spectacular aura about themAlabasterLyn has a spectacular aura about them

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sephiroth View Post
First, I'd say you are not in modem mode because you are driving a Powerline from a hub Ethernet port.

Second, driving the V6 over WiFi is a bad idea unless you (not the VM tech who knows nothing imo) are certain that there is a strong 5GHz channel signal at the V6 box. You probably don't know whether the V6 is connecting using the dodgy 2.4GHz band or the 5GHz band.

To bring this under control, I recommend you do what I do. I have 2 x TIVO boxes all connected to my router via Powerline adaptors in different parts of the house. I strongly recommend you buy another PLW1200 (with mains pass-through).

Next there's the matter of modem mode. The hubs - all models - are poor devices under load. Yet you have an Apple Router (an Airport Extreme). They are excellent routers, albeit Apple quirky. You might actually care to put your hub into modem mode and work off the AE.

Finally I use Netgear Powerline in one of my houses and am totally satisfied with them. I no longer use an Apple Router but the one I have served me well before I switched to ASUS (no need for you to do so).

Keep us posted.
Thanks for your reply. I logged into the hub to check and you are right, we are in modem mode even though I asked the engineer when he was here to make sure it was set up to use the Apple router.

When I check the settings on the TV that is connected to the V6 box it says the WiFi connection speed is anything between 49% and 55%, the 49% figure came up as 'marginal', I now wonder if that is why we get a lot of pixelation on the TV screen? Our hub is probably about 20 feet away and upstairs, so not close at all to the V6 box.

I must have been on the phone to CS for nearly an hour this morning. Spoke with 3 different people and finally got to talk to someone who was English! Now have an engineer coming tomorrow morning to see if the V6 box needs to be hardwired. Is there anything I should ask about the settings that might help with the powerlines
Old 15-02-2018, 12:23   #4
Sephiroth
Simples

Services: 1 Gbps; Hub 4 MM; ASUS RT-AX88U; Ultimate VOLT. BT Infinity2; Devolo 1200AV
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star

To be clear, if you are feeding both the first Powerline and the AE from the hub, then you are NOT in modem mode.

The following should work:

1. Buy an additional PLW1200 (with power pass-through) and place it close to the V6 box.

2. Connect the V6 box to Powerline and turn V6 wireless off.

As regards pixellation - if that occurs when streaming between Tivo & V6, then the WiFi is causing that.

If pixellation occurs when watching normal TV through either the V6 or the Tivo, then the content is being served by the Virgin Media Coax and there is either a circuit fault or some form of circuit congestion.

Old 15-02-2018, 12:42   #5
AlabasterLyn
cf.addict

Quote:
To be clear, if you are feeding both the first Powerline and the AE from the hub, then you are NOT in modem mode.

The following should work:

1. Buy an additional PLW1200 (with power pass-through) and place it close to the V6 box.

2. Connect the V6 box to Powerline and turn V6 wireless off.

As regards pixellation - if that occurs when streaming between Tivo & V6, then the WiFi is causing that.

If pixellation occurs when watching normal TV through either the V6 or the Tivo, then the content is being served by the Virgin Media Coax and there is either a circuit fault or some form of circuit congestion.
I'm only connecting one of the powerlines directly to the hub, the other is from the back of the TIVO box and then into the mains socket, although as the TIVO box is wired I assume that makes them both connected to the hub, or not, I really am getting lost with this!

The pixellation isn't happening when I am streaming, just happens on the main TV that is connected to the V6 box and quite often the red lights come on the box and I can't use catch up services. Maybe they will hardwire the box when they come tomorrow and that might help
Old 15-02-2018, 13:06   #6
Sephiroth
Simples

Assuming you to be in router mode, the AE router and the first Powerline would be connected to the hub. No other Powerline would be connected directly to the hub. The first Powerline delivers data to the Tivo via the electrical mains and the other Powerline adaptor. I.e., the Tivo is connected to the hub.

As regards the main TV pixellation, that signal is fed from the coax cable in the same way as the hub's Internet signal is fed from the coax cable. Either the cable has worked loose and needs screwing in tightly, or there is a circuit impairment, like noise, outside your control. The technician would need to fix that.

Presumably you get full speed on your broadband all the time?

Old 15-02-2018, 14:46   #7
AlabasterLyn
cf.addict

Getting this speed at the moment, assume that's okay. We are supposed to be on 100Mbs but I understand it's usually lower than that
Attached Images
File Type: png Screenshot 2018-02-15 13.43.40.png (347.7 KB, 28 views)
Old 15-02-2018, 15:09   #8
Sephiroth
Simples

If that's what you're getting in the middle of the day, I imagine it's rather lower in the evenings. Cable Broadband should deliver full speed unless there is a circuit impairment or congestion.

The TV frequencies are different from (and thus don't clash with) the broadband frequencies. They all come down the same cable that goes to you external wall box.

If your Tivo coax cable hasn't loosened at either end, and if there is no line impairment, then at peak times it would seem that there is indeed congestion - though that is a rare occurrence going by what I see on the forums. A search on the term "pixellation" might provide more insight for you.

Old 16-02-2018, 12:54   #9
AlabasterLyn
cf.addict

Quote:
Assuming you to be in router mode, the AE router and the first Powerline would be connected to the hub. No other Powerline would be connected directly to the hub. The first Powerline delivers data to the Tivo via the electrical mains and the other Powerline adaptor. I.e., the Tivo is connected to the hub.

As regards the main TV pixellation, that signal is fed from the coax cable in the same way as the hub's Internet signal is fed from the coax cable. Either the cable has worked loose and needs screwing in tightly, or there is a circuit impairment, like noise, outside your control. The technician would need to fix that.

Presumably you get full speed on your broadband all the time?
I think I misread your post yesterday, didn't realise that AE meant my Apple router.
Am more confused today. Had an engineer round, was hoping he would move the superhub downstairs but he just checked all the connections and recommended we go out and buy a gaming router in addition to using the Apple router. He said only Apple products can connect through an Apple router, although I've never read anything that confirms that.

I did go down to PC World to try to buy one, but the guy there said he didn't think the information we had been given was correct and to get back to VM. Meanwhile the internet has gone down 3 times this morning and the V6 box keeps going off. Am on hold to CS right now, but wish I had kept my old set up as really don't know how to fix this
Old 16-02-2018, 13:30   #10
Sephiroth
Simples

The technician gave you a load of gollox. The AE routers (Airport Extreme) are general purpose and only quirky to the extent of Apple Speak used in their terminology (e.g. "Keychain").

VM have to fix our circuit - it's external to you. You did check that the coax cables are tightly screwed in? Neighbours should be suffering too.

Old 16-02-2018, 13:45   #11
AlabasterLyn
cf.addict

Quote:
The technician gave you a load of gollox. The AE routers (Airport Extreme) are general purpose and only quirky to the extent of Apple Speak used in their terminology (e.g. "Keychain").

VM have to fix our circuit - it's external to you. You did check that the coax cables are tightly screwed in? Neighbours should be suffering too.
Haha love the term gollox! Thanks for your help. I did think it odd that the AE could only be used with Apple products as our mobile phones are connected through that and work perfectly and they are both Android not Apple.

They are sending another engineer tomorrow, not sure what they are going to do. The one this morning did tighten the coax cable as apparently it was loose. I did suggest moving the hub downstairs and hardwiring it to the V6 box but he said it was 'a big job', it's actually not as the box on the outside of the house is only feet away from where it would need to come into the room where the V6 box is, so I did feel he was just trying to get out quickly. If that can't be done I'd like to at least try to get the AE set up, not very confident about doing it myself but I may give it a try later on as I guess it can't be that hard
Old 16-02-2018, 13:56   #12
Sephiroth
Simples

If they have to do anything, like drill from the external Omnibox into a new room, they'll charge £99.

To get the AE set up, I strongly recommend that you put the hub into modem mode (from yhr menu after login). They key setting in the AE is to set it's mode to DHCP. You won't need to change anything else. Then you'd connect it to the bottom Ethernet port of the hub. Switch then both off. Switch the AE on first and let it settle for a minute. Turn the hub on and it will negotiate with the AE and supply an IP address.

The Powerline would attach to the AE as would the V6. If you run out of Ethernet ports, you could buy a small switch that would add 8 more.

Old 17-02-2018, 13:04   #13
AlabasterLyn
cf.addict

Quote:
If they have to do anything, like drill from the external Omnibox into a new room, they'll charge £99.

To get the AE set up, I strongly recommend that you put the hub into modem mode (from yhr menu after login). They key setting in the AE is to set it's mode to DHCP. You won't need to change anything else. Then you'd connect it to the bottom Ethernet port of the hub. Switch then both off. Switch the AE on first and let it settle for a minute. Turn the hub on and it will negotiate with the AE and supply an IP address.

The Powerline would attach to the AE as would the V6. If you run out of Ethernet ports, you could buy a small switch that would add 8 more.
I wish they had mentioned the £99 before, we did talk about the probability of them having to hardwire the box, but they said it would be for free!

I didn't have any success trying to set the hub up in modem mode with the AE, in fact I ended up with no internet and had to ring CS again to get the hub back on as silly me suddenly realised that with no internet I wasn't able to log back into the hub to change the settings back.

Got another engineer coming this afternoon and will ask if he can set the AE up for us. Right now I am only getting 28Mbps speed yet paying for 100
Old 17-02-2018, 15:19   #14
Sephiroth
Simples

Which model AE do you have?

There are different Airport Utility menus for different models.

Are you sure you got the hub into modem mode?

Old 17-02-2018, 16:58   #15
AlabasterLyn
cf.addict

Quote:
Which model AE do you have?

There are different Airport Utility menus for different models.

Are you sure you got the hub into modem mode?
I've tried looking at the AE to see what model it is but it doesn't say, all I can find from logging into it is that it says Version 7.6.9 on it and it runs on 2.4ghz and 5ghz.

The engineer came round earlier, he was here for quite some time. He couldn't find anything wrong other than saying the isolator resistor was damaged and he changed that. I did ask him to put the hub into modem mode to see if that would sort out the internet dropping all the time and I know he did as we had to reset the settings in the TV and put the password in that we use for the AE.

At the time when the engineer left, we had a fairly reasonable internet speed and the powerlines were working and I thought all was okay. However the internet has dropped 3 times and the powerlines have disconnected twice.

I have absolutely no idea what is wrong and I've got to the stage where I just don't know who to ask as if I phone CS they are just going send an engineer out again and I'll have to sit around half the day waiting and they will go through the motions, say it's all working then go. I'm not blaming the engineers, I know our set up worked fine before we had the SH3 and V6 box installed, so it has to be something to do with that, but I have no idea what
Attached Images
File Type: png Screenshot 2018-02-17 15.52.13.png (97.9 KB, 10 views)