Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Free V6 box

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service

Free V6 box

Old 17-02-2018, 15:32   #286
Mad Max
cf.mega poster

Mad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze array
Mad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze array
Re: Free V6 box

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mythica View Post
Mines fine. Have topped out at 400Mb though my phone on speedtests plus the two V6 boxes are connected to it by Wi-Fi.
Don't get me wrong my download speed is 200Mbs and upload is about 12Mbs, but the wifi is pathetic, it's only a strong signal when right next to it.
Mad Max is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 17-02-2018, 15:45   #287
Mythica
cf.geek

Mythica has reached the bronze age
Mythica has reached the bronze ageMythica has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Max View Post
Don't get me wrong my download speed is 200Mbs and upload is about 12Mbs, but the wifi is pathetic, it's only a strong signal when right next to it.
I'm not right next to it now and have a strong signal connected at 520Mb.
Mythica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2018, 15:56   #288
Mad Max
cf.mega poster

Mad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze array

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mythica View Post
I'm not right next to it now and have a strong signal connected at 520Mb.
I'm not entirely sure what you mean by that, I don't know anyone who gets 520Mb speeds with Virgin, I'm talking about the wifi signal, a good wifi signal is -30dBm, i'm getting a good signal right now as I am only about 3 feet away from the HUB3 and it's reading is -34dBm, but in other parts of the house it drops to -70dBm, and I'm not talking about miles away either.
Old 17-02-2018, 16:03   #289
Mythica
cf.geek

Quote:
I'm not entirely sure what you mean by that, I don't know anyone who gets 520Mb speeds with Virgin, I'm talking about the wifi signal, a good wifi signal is dBm, i'm getting a good signal right now as I am only about 3 feet away and it's reading is -34dBm, but in other parts of the house it drops to -7dBm, and I'm not talking about miles away either.

---------- Post added at 14:56 ---------- Previous post was at 14:55 ----------

On my phone and V6 box it states what speed you are connected to on the network. The further away you are the less it connects at. So if I'm in my garden and it connects at 200Mb then I won't get 350Mb. But if it connects at 520Mb then I'm likely to be able to get the full 350Mb. I'm in the room downstairs from the Hub 3 and it's connecting at 520Mb and the WiFi bar on my phone is going between levels 3 and 4 with 4 being the highest. I'd say I was 16ft from the Hub 3 with a ceiling between us.
Old 17-02-2018, 16:11   #290
Mad Max
cf.mega poster

When did you start getting 520Mb download speeds?? You can check the wifi signal on your phone by downloading an app called Dr WiFi, it's very good, but tbh I don't think we are talking about the same thing here, I can get 3 bars of wifi signal on my phone, but that doesn't mean that it's a strong signal.
Old 17-02-2018, 16:26   #291
Mythica
cf.geek

Quote:
When did you start getting 520Mb download speeds?? You can check the wifi signal on your phone by downloading an app called Dr WiFi, it's very good, but tbh I don't think we are talking about the same thing here, I can get 3 bars of wifi signal on my phone, but that doesn't mean that it's a strong signal.
I don't get 520Mb download speeds. It's what the two devices are connecting to each other at. It can change lower or higher depending on the distance.

It's exactly what it means. 4 bars is a strong signal 1 bar is a weak signal. The further you get the weaker the signal. Like I said, my phone is connecting to the network at around 520Mb with 3 to 4 bars, my Wi-Fi is fine. The hub 3 might not be the best but it's certainly not bad.
Old 17-02-2018, 16:28   #292
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars
SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Its not the download speed, it is the connection speed between the V6 and the Hub3, i am connected at 600 Mbps, you can check yours in the Network Connection settings on the V6.
Old 17-02-2018, 16:38   #293
Mad Max
cf.mega poster

I think we are still not agreeing here, I have a wifi signal on my iPhone of three bars, ok, I have took a dBm reading from the wifi signal app that's on my phone, and sitting close to the HUB3 I get a very good wifi signal of -33dBm, I have then gone upstairs to one of our bedrooms and I still get the three bars showing on my iPhone, but when I use the wifi signal strength on the app that I have on my iPhone, I get a really poor wifi signal strength of -71dBm, and that was my earlier point, you can still have three bars showing on your phone, but that doesn't mean that the signal strength is the same at different locations. Maybe Spiderplant or Ben can clarify this one for us.
Old 17-02-2018, 16:49   #294
Mythica
cf.geek

Quote:
I think we are still not agreeing here, I have a wifi signal on my iPhone of three bars, ok, I have took a dBm reading from the wifi signal app that's on my phone, and sitting close to the HUB3 I get a very good wifi signal of -33dBm, I have then gone upstairs to one of our bedrooms and I still get the three bars showing on my iPhone, but when I use the wifi signal strength on the app that I have on my iPhone, I get a really poor wifi signal strength of -71dBm, and that was my earlier point, you can still have three bars showing on your phone, but that doesn't mean that the signal strength is the same at different locations. Maybe Spiderplant or Ben can clarify this one for us.
My point was that my Wi-Fi is totally fine, full speeds and strong connection even downstairs when the Hub is upstairs. It was in reply to you saying the Hub 3 isn't very good for WiFi.
Old 17-02-2018, 16:53   #295
cityfan247
cf.addict

Services: Full House 2 V6 Boxes 1 1TB Tivo Freesat Freeview HD Roku Apple TV 3 Firesticks
cityfan247 is a splendid one to beholdcityfan247 is a splendid one to beholdcityfan247 is a splendid one to beholdcityfan247 is a splendid one to beholdcityfan247 is a splendid one to beholdcityfan247 is a splendid one to beholdcityfan247 is a splendid one to beholdcityfan247 is a splendid one to beholdcityfan247 is a splendid one to behold

I ordered 2 V6 boxes almost a month ago to replace my 2 Tivos. Heard nothing and when i telephoned yesterday they had a record of the original contact but for whatever reason the order never went through.

Virgin have agreed to have an engineer install 2 V6's next week for no charge. Great I thought. But now there is a snag.

I currently have 2 tivos and a also a V HD box (this is in the converted garage/granny flat that my elderley mother in law has) . She is quite happy with this. She can just about work it and it fits in the cabinet.

The original plan was to keep the V HD box as it is so she was unaffected. The 2 V6's would replace the Tivos. Virgin had told me a few weeks this was fine.

Now they say the V HD box must be replaced as it will soon be obsolete and be disconnected.They could not give a date but could be within a couple of months. This is the first I have heard of this. Though i recall reading something that Sky Sports HD will at some point be removed from the V HD box??? We subscribe to Sky Sports (but not HD).

So now they suggest replacing the Tivos with the V6 as originally planned but using one of the Tivos to replace the V HD box. Now that sounds fine except my mother in law does not need a Tivo. She is happy with the V HD box . She will no doubt struggle to get to grips with using the Tivo and I know for a fact she will not use the record function. She is 91 and it will all go over her head I'm afraid.

The other issue is the Tivos is much bulkier than the old box and probably wont fit in her cabinet. I havent told her yet but she wont be happy. I may need a drink before I do.

I had thought about putting the smaller sized V6 box in her room (though most of the features will be wasted on her) if only because it would look better. However the room is a dead spot for wi-fi (probably due to the amount of insulation in the walls). I think I am right that the V6 has to be connected to the internet to function. I know mobile phones and laptops simply dont work well in there. Streaming video has no chance. The other issue is her part of the house is on a seperate mains electricity ring so powerplugs wont work i dont think either.

Nightmare.

Is anyone hear able to confirm the V HD boxes are to be obselete/disconnected over the coming months and that keeping the V HD is not an option?

Last edited by cityfan247; 17-02-2018 at 16:57.
cityfan247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2018, 17:00   #296
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars
SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by cityfan247 View Post
I ordered 2 V6 boxes almost a month ago to replace my 2 Tivos. Heard nothing and when i telephoned yesterday they had a record of the original contact but for whatever reason the order never went through.

Virgin have agreed to have an engineer install 2 V6's next week for no charge. Great I thought. But now there is a snag.

I currently have 2 tivos and a also a V HD box (this is in the converted garage/granny flat that my elderley mother in law has) . She is quite happy with this. She can just about work it and it fits in the cabinet.

The original plan was to keep the V HD box as it is so she was unaffected. The 2 V6's would replace the Tivos. Virgin had told me a few weeks this was fine.

Now they say the V HD box must be replaced as it will soon be obsolete and be disconnected.They could not give a date but could be within a couple of months. This is the first I have heard of this. Though i recall reading something that Sky Sports HD will at some point be removed from the V HD box??? We subscribe to Sky Sports (but not HD).

So now they suggest replacing the Tivos with the V6 as originally planned but using one of the Tivos to replace the V HD box. Now that sounds fine except my mother in law does not need a Tivo. She is happy with the V HD box . She will no doubt struggle to get to grips with using the Tivo and I know for a fact she will not use the record function. She is 91 and it will all go over her head I'm afraid.

The other issue is the Tivos is much bulkier than the old box and probably wont fit in her cabinet. I havent told her yet but she wont be happy. I may need a drink before I do.

I had thought about putting the smaller sized V6 box in her room (though most of the features will be wasted on her) if only because it would look better. However the room is a dead spot for wi-fi (probably due to the amount of insulation in the walls). I think I am right that the V6 has to be connected to the internet to function. I know mobile phones and laptops simply dont work well in there. Streaming video has no chance. The other issue is her part of the house is on a seperate mains electricity ring so powerplugs wont work i dont think either.

Nightmare.

Is anyone hear able to confirm the V HD boxes are to be obselete/disconnected over the coming months and that keeping the V HD is not an option?
The V6 can go anywhere it doesn't need line of sight to operate.
Old 17-02-2018, 17:00   #297
Mad Max
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Is anyone hear able to confirm the V HD boxes are to be obsolete/disconnected over the coming months and that keeping the V HD is not an option?
I'm not entirely sure about the above mate, but it's just like everything else, they won't last forever, and will need replacing at some point, I do hope that you find a solution to this problem though.
Old 17-02-2018, 17:05   #298
AlabasterLyn
cf.addict

AlabasterLyn has a spectacular aura about themAlabasterLyn has a spectacular aura about themAlabasterLyn has a spectacular aura about themAlabasterLyn has a spectacular aura about them

Quote:
Spot on, the wifi from them is utter pants!
We had the engineer round again today, same one who installed the V6 box and SH3.

I asked him to change the SH3 to Modem mode and he set up our Apple router and all seemed fine when he left.

Since he left the internet has dropped out 3 times and the powerlines started working for about an hour and now drop out after about 2mins.

Obviously something isn't working right. I don't know now if it's a fault in the actual hub or if my router isn't up to the job. However it would seem a coincidence for both the router in the SH3 and my own router to keep dropping all the time
AlabasterLyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2018, 17:12   #299
cityfan247
cf.addict

Services: Full House 2 V6 Boxes 1 1TB Tivo Freesat Freeview HD Roku Apple TV 3 Firesticks
cityfan247 is a splendid one to beholdcityfan247 is a splendid one to beholdcityfan247 is a splendid one to beholdcityfan247 is a splendid one to beholdcityfan247 is a splendid one to beholdcityfan247 is a splendid one to beholdcityfan247 is a splendid one to beholdcityfan247 is a splendid one to beholdcityfan247 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnoopZ View Post
The V6 can go anywhere it doesn't need line of sight to operate.
thanks Snoopz. The box will need to be connected by HDMI to the TV though I assume. The TV is on the wall with the cabling hidden. The only place the box can go is in the cabinet really. A V6 would likely fit fine but the Tivo is much bigger.

---------- Post added at 16:12 ---------- Previous post was at 16:10 ----------

Quote:
I'm not entirely sure about the above mate, but it's just like everything else, they won't last forever, and will need replacing at some point, I do hope that you find a solution to this problem though.
Yes things do move on I appreciate.
cityfan247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2018, 17:13   #300
heero_yuy
Perfect Soldier

Services: VM 500M SH3 thingy in modem mode XL TV V6 Sony Bravia smart TV and M phone
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
Quote from cityfan247:

I'm given to believe that the Cisco V HD boxes support MPEG4 streams so will not become obsolete yet.

Good news for us as we use the SCART with a modulator to send the cable TV together with Freeview round the house and supports the HDD/DVD recorder.