Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Free V6 box

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Free V6 box

Old 15-02-2018, 11:48   #256
divingbrit
cf.member

Services: V6 Box Tivo 150 ish download speed
divingbrit is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Free V6 box

Quote:
Can customers choose which box to disconnect, or is it pot luck?
It does give you the option, but the default was my very old v+, the email does make things very clear.
divingbrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 15-02-2018, 12:00   #257
Taf
cf.mega poster

Services: TVXL BBXL Superhub 2ac (wired) 1Tb Tivo
Taf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny star
Taf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny star

Just a few days to go before the shiny V6 arrives. They say I will keep the Tivo, so that is going into the bedroom to replace the V+ (which I suppose I will have to return).

I still can't login to the boxswap page as their system still thinks I am using an old email address, despite their system also saying that that address does not exist on their system. The overseas assistant had no idea how to solve it.

If I ever get over that hurdle, using the boxswap system to move all my series links, etc. to the V6 isn't well explained despite frantic googling. Any help gladly received.
Taf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2018, 12:05   #258
divingbrit
cf.member

Services: V6 Box Tivo 150 ish download speed
divingbrit is an unknown quantity at this point

you don't return the v+, skip it
divingbrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2018, 12:24   #259
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taf View Post
If I ever get over that hurdle, using the boxswap system to move all my series links, etc. to the V6 isn't well explained despite frantic googling. Any help gladly received.
https://help.virginmedia.com/system/...box-to-another
Old 15-02-2018, 12:30   #260
Mr K
Woke and proud !

Services: TV, Phone, BB, a wife
Mr K has a nice shiny star
Mr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenMcr View Post
The box is an LG wide design, and I believe that most other countries use the RF connector for their TV setup.

I'd also point out that the connection steps are documented in the QS guide that's in the kit box, and it's the first thing it tells you do to after disconnecting your old box:
Lol, guide? who reads that

---------- Post added at 12:30 ---------- Previous post was at 12:28 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taf View Post
Just a few days to go before the shiny V6 arrives. They say I will keep the Tivo, so that is going into the bedroom to replace the V+ (which I suppose I will have to return).

I still can't login to the boxswap page as their system still thinks I am using an old email address, despite their system also saying that that address does not exist on their system. The overseas assistant had no idea how to solve it.

Isn't is the same as your 'My Virgin media' log in ?
Mr K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2018, 12:46   #261
Taf
cf.mega poster

Services: TVXL BBXL Superhub 2ac (wired) 1Tb Tivo
Taf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny star
Taf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr K View Post
Isn't is the same as your 'My Virgin media' log in ?
Nope. All my VM logins have been an ntlworld email address for ages. The V6 offer arrived showing an old bigfoot.com address. But during the claim process it allowed me to replace that with the ntlworld one "so that we can contact you".

---------- Post added at 12:46 ---------- Previous post was at 12:42 ----------

Quote:
Thanks for that
Taf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2018, 13:03   #262
Itshim
Do I care what you think

Services: V6 ,Virgin L. Phone Broadband.sky go Netflix
Itshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appeal
Itshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
The older TiVo has its own internal 10Mb broadband connection that goes back down the coax it's connected to.

However if that fails for whatever reason (network fault or internal issue to the box) you get exactly the same errors on TiVo that you get on the V6 when it's not connected to your home network.
Thank you . I seem to have a short (5to10 mins) problems with my BB a couple of times a week. Notice this as I now us it for radio
Old 15-02-2018, 16:45   #263
AlabasterLyn
cf.addict

AlabasterLyn has a spectacular aura about themAlabasterLyn has a spectacular aura about themAlabasterLyn has a spectacular aura about themAlabasterLyn has a spectacular aura about them

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiderplant View Post
AlabasterLyn wants to stream from one box to the other. This does need a connection. But in general a Tivo will work happily without.
I still do, have it set up but it drops out every 7/8mins and is driving me nuts. I spent the best part of an hour on the phone to 3 different people in CS today and an engineer is coming out tomorrow.

Have actually realised that we have been losing the internet a lot since we got the V6 box too, wonder if all these problems are somehow connected to each other
AlabasterLyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2018, 12:45   #264
Henkesghost
Sceptic

Henkesghost is cast in bronzeHenkesghost is cast in bronzeHenkesghost is cast in bronzeHenkesghost is cast in bronze
Henkesghost is cast in bronzeHenkesghost is cast in bronzeHenkesghost is cast in bronzeHenkesghost is cast in bronzeHenkesghost is cast in bronzeHenkesghost is cast in bronzeHenkesghost is cast in bronzeHenkesghost is cast in bronzeHenkesghost is cast in bronzeHenkesghost is cast in bronzeHenkesghost is cast in bronzeHenkesghost is cast in bronzeHenkesghost is cast in bronzeHenkesghost is cast in bronzeHenkesghost is cast in bronze

Good old Virgin. Ordered my box online on 6/2 requesting delivery today as I'm off work. Got the confirmation email advising that this had been accepted with delivery between 8am and 6pm and if there were any problems they would contact me. Heard nothing so assumed all was well. Called virgin to see if they could give me an idea what time it was being delivered , advised that they had no trace of the order. Re-ordered for next Friday. Bit shambolic but hey what can you do
Old 16-02-2018, 13:13   #265
devilincarnate
Still REIGNING

devilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny star
devilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henkesghost View Post
Good old Virgin. Ordered my box online on 6/2 requesting delivery today as I'm off work. Got the confirmation email advising that this had been accepted with delivery between 8am and 6pm and if there were any problems they would contact me. Heard nothing so assumed all was well. Called virgin to see if they could give me an idea what time it was being delivered , advised that they had no trace of the order. Re-ordered for next Friday. Bit shambolic but hey what can you do
Watch it still turn up lol
devilincarnate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2018, 15:38   #266
cyclone
cf.member

cyclone is an unknown quantity at this point

I've just filled out the request for my v6 box upgrade to be delivered and it clearly states "Summary (12 month contract unless specified)" ."You are about to upgrade to a new package shown below,it will also include everything from your current package". So this is not the case? I don't want to enter into a new contract. Nowhere on the document does it state otherwise.

Last edited by cyclone; 16-02-2018 at 15:57.
cyclone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2018, 17:47   #267
AlabasterLyn
cf.addict

AlabasterLyn has a spectacular aura about themAlabasterLyn has a spectacular aura about themAlabasterLyn has a spectacular aura about themAlabasterLyn has a spectacular aura about them

I'm beginning to regret getting ours. Just today the V6 box has gone offline half a dozen times, also the internet has gone down each time the box has, I am guessing the V6 box is going offline as the router in the SuperHub isn't working as well as the one in the old hub.

Never had any issues before and engineer No3 is coming round tomorrow and I doubt that will solve the issues as quite honestly I'm not sure how well trained they are. The one I had today told me that you can only run Apple products on an Apple Router, which is apparently a load of tosh. He did say these new SuperHubs are rubbish and suggested we go out and buy a gaming router, but why should we have to go out and spend a large amount of money just because VM can't sort out a hub that works as it should
AlabasterLyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2018, 17:58   #268
Mr K
Woke and proud !

Services: TV, Phone, BB, a wife
Mr K has a nice shiny star
Mr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlabasterLyn View Post
I'm beginning to regret getting ours. Just today the V6 box has gone offline half a dozen times, also the internet has gone down each time the box has, I am guessing the V6 box is going offline as the router in the SuperHub isn't working as well as the one in the old hub.

Never had any issues before and engineer No3 is coming round tomorrow and I doubt that will solve the issues as quite honestly I'm not sure how well trained they are. The one I had today told me that you can only run Apple products on an Apple Router, which is apparently a load of tosh. He did say these new SuperHubs are rubbish and suggested we go out and buy a gaming router, but why should we have to go out and spend a large amount of money just because VM can't sort out a hub that works as it should
The engineers do seem to be a particular poor quality these days, they used to be good. Keep ringing and getting them to come out till they fix it. Try the 'thinking of leaving' option when ringing, that usually brings results. Sounds like it's the new hub that's the issue, is it an SH3? I managed to hold on to my SH2ac.
Mr K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2018, 17:58   #269
nashville
nashville

Services: Virgin Media
nashville has a nice shiny star
nashville has a nice shiny starnashville has a nice shiny starnashville has a nice shiny starnashville has a nice shiny starnashville has a nice shiny starnashville has a nice shiny starnashville has a nice shiny starnashville has a nice shiny starnashville has a nice shiny starnashville has a nice shiny starnashville has a nice shiny star

Not good news at all , Hope you get it sorted out
nashville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2018, 18:33   #270
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars
SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars

I've never had a problem with an engineer and it was an engineer that swapped out my box for free, he didnt have to do it.