Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Merlin's Portal is down

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Internet Discussion
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Merlin's Portal is down

Old 19-09-2010, 16:55   #136
dan dority
cf.member

Services: XL tv and sports L broadband
dan dority will become famous soon enoughdan dority will become famous soon enoughdan dority will become famous soon enough
Re: Merlin's Portal is down

thats me re registered im delighted they are back as they were my main scource of audiobooks.
dan dority is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 19-09-2010, 17:31   #137
peanut
NUTS !!

peanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny star
peanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny star

Might be an idea to change the thread title to 'Up'.
Old 08-10-2010, 11:37   #138
Ytrewq
Inactive

Ytrewq has a spectacular aura about themYtrewq has a spectacular aura about themYtrewq has a spectacular aura about themYtrewq has a spectacular aura about them

Can I ask I found this forum a while a go and think it is great, I started to look around and have seen threads that deal with the ACS P2P stuff and cview and phorm etc. etc. I have noticed a slightly different attitude towards newsgroups than p2p in the threads and can understand the differences between the technologies, ie downloading only as apposed to uploading but would like to ask is downloading only from newsgroups, cyberlockers etc. legal in the UK?

I ask one for information but also because there seems to be a different attitude to the discussions in these threads as apposed to some of the others and wondered if it was because p2p is illegal because of uploading / making available were as purely downloading isn't. I'm not sure if that is the case but thought I would ask peoples thoughts and opinions.

Thanks
Ytrewq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 11:40   #139
peanut
NUTS !!

peanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny star
peanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny star

It could be just double standards, or just that you're speaking to the wrong people. Those that tend to reply are probably against piracy, those that dabble tend not to want to talk about it. Certainly not on open forums.
Old 08-10-2010, 11:54   #140
Ytrewq
Inactive

Ytrewq has a spectacular aura about themYtrewq has a spectacular aura about themYtrewq has a spectacular aura about themYtrewq has a spectacular aura about them

Fair enough, thanks. I was thinking more of discussing the legal stand point rather than peoples actual views or actions.
Old 08-10-2010, 12:01   #141
MovedGoalPosts
Inactive

MovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny stars
MovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny stars

Most of the content on newsgroups, just as with torrents, is subject to copyright. There are of course subjects and content that are copyright free. Just because something has been uploaded by someone, doesn't mean that the upload to a newsgroup was of a free version of the file.

Typically films, music even TV shows do have coyright protection, even though that is overlooked by the downloader, regardless of whether they are using torrents, newsgroups, or other method to obtain them.
MovedGoalPosts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 12:09   #142
Ytrewq
Inactive

Thanks Rob, but do you know is there a distinction in the legalities of this in the UK.

I'm curious really as I've noticed different attitudes to each technology and also that there is a lot of news at the moment regarding p2p rather than any other forms of aquiring content which as you have said stands a chance of being covered by copyright.

I wonder why there is so much news about just one area.

Thanks
Old 08-10-2010, 12:46   #143
peanut
NUTS !!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ytrewq View Post
Thanks Rob, but do you know is there a distinction in the legalities of this in the UK.

I'm curious really as I've noticed different attitudes to each technology and also that there is a lot of news at the moment regarding p2p rather than any other forms of aquiring content which as you have said stands a chance of being covered by copyright.

I wonder why there is so much news about just one area.

Thanks
As far as I know, those that use newsgroups think those that use P2P are crazy and running the risk of being caught more easier than using SSL encrypted newsgroups. Those that use P2P use them because they don't know how to use newsgroups or do not want to pay for a news provider.

Each to their own, they both know it's still illegal regardless, just that one has less risk due to not sharing and the added SSL. The attitudes these days is that it's ok to download but not to share/sell as that's more open to be caught / prosecuted.

I'd say p2p is more in the news as it's more provable in court and that you're sharing the files mainly.

I do find it odd that VM carry binary newsgroups, but you have to wonder why they offer a 50mb service to start with. Of course all you'll hear is people sharing their connections on a home network and that they want their linux distros and game demo's downloaded as fast as possible. Yeah right...
Old 08-10-2010, 12:52   #144
MovedGoalPosts
Inactive

MovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny stars
MovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny stars

P2P (torrents) is easier to track as in most cases the person who is downloading will be connecting to a computer (that you don't know who it is), and that computer can be logging what you are attempting to download and your IP. If that remote computer is infact operated by someone on behalf of a copyright owner, the lawyers can then attempt to come after you, by making requests of your ISP to give details of the customer using the IP address, or similarly by use of the new legislation to get your internet provider to do the three strikes rule letter thingy.

Newgroups are different, at present, because you are connecting only to the servers of the newsgroup provider you have signed to. For the time being the newsgroup providers are not being obliged to tell anyone what you have downloaded, even if they are keeping records of your activities. Of course that may change in the future, or other technology, such as deep packet inspection (the Phorm, Detica derivatives), might have to be employed by ISPs to see what their customers are up to.
MovedGoalPosts is offline   Reply With Quote