Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Virgin Media WiFi Hotspots. Improvement?

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service

Virgin Media WiFi Hotspots. Improvement?

Old 08-02-2018, 22:14   #1
roughbeast
cf.mega poster

Services: Vodafone/City Fibre Gigafast 900
roughbeast has reached the bronze age
roughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze age
Virgin Media WiFi Hotspots. Improvement?

I received this email today from Virgin Media. Has something changed?

"Hi Vincent,
You may have had trouble connecting with our Virgin Media WiFi app.
We had an issue with our hotspots but we've fixed it.

Get connected again to more than 2 million hotspots
while you're out and about by following the steps below.

It’s easy to setup your WiFi again

Either click the button below or open the app

Go to 'Settings'

Select 'Set up auto-connect'
and follow the simple steps"

Although my VM WiFi app is properly set up I have never been able to connect to a Virgin Media hotspot in a residential area. Does this email indicate that there are improvements to be had next time I'm out in the street? Will the oiutcome be any different or better than 4G connections? Is Virgin Media WiFi a waste of time?

https://1drv.ms/i/s!AhlpLoG7kfyGoN8YwC7e-YWfEyAikQ

Last edited by roughbeast; 08-02-2018 at 22:23.
roughbeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 08-02-2018, 22:42   #2
Stuart
-

Services: Virgin for TV and Internet, BT for phone
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling
Re: Virgin Media WiFi Hotspots. Improvement?

On my iPhone, I've always found the Virgin Media Wifi app to be more trouble than it's worth. Just sign in to the Virgin Media Wifi network using whatever settings dialog your phone has.
Stuart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2018, 23:06   #3
nomadking
cf.mega poster

Services: Virgin Media TV&BB 350Mb, V6 STB
nomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze array
nomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze array

I've been able to connect to hotspots, even a neighbours(as a test). Although recently I've noticed my phone clocked up data charges, when at home with my own WiFi access.

Might it be easier to use the direct login, that I used to set up my Win 10 laptop?
nomadking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2018, 23:52   #4
roughbeast
cf.mega poster

roughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomadking View Post
I've been able to connect to hotspots, even a neighbours(as a test). Although recently I've noticed my phone clocked up data charges, when at home with my own WiFi access.

Might it be easier to use the direct login, that I used to set up my Win 10 laptop?
I reinstalled VM WiFi on my Android and ran the auto connect facility after deleting old profiles related to Virgin Media. Just like this time last year auto connect doesn't work.

VM WiFi is a pile of junk.
Old 09-02-2018, 00:05   #5
Stuart
-

Services: Virgin for TV and Internet, BT for phone
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomadking View Post

I found that far easier.
Stuart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2018, 18:39   #6
roseandjim
cf.member

roseandjim is an unknown quantity at this point

I started using the wifi app but then realized as I have a PAYG phone I was being charged £1 a day for data use making the app totally useless to me.
roseandjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2018, 18:41   #7
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars

Once you've completed the auto setup via the app you don't actually need to use it for your device to connect to the WiFi network - unless Virgin Media advise as above that you need to re-run the setup.

The app installs as standard Enterprise Wireless profile on your Android or iOS device.

The reason to do this is that it ensures your device only connects to an authentic Virgin Media WiFI hotspot.

If you set it up manually then your device could connect to a spoofed hotspot with the same SSID.

In regards to data use, the app should only use data when it's open as it'll be for the built in map of the hotspot coverage.
Old 09-02-2018, 19:16   #8
pip08456
Sad Doig Fan!

Services: With VM for BB 250Mb service.(Deal)
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star

I seem to remember many residential customers optimg out from this as they thought it affected their connection speeds. Has this now changed? Can they still opt out? Personally I think it's rediculous to do so but people can be so posessive in their perceptions if their connection.
pip08456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2018, 22:19   #9
alwaysabear
RIp Sweetness

Services: TiVo Full house sports bundle,Vivid 200, SHUB 3, talk more anytime.
alwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appeal
alwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by roughbeast View Post
I reinstalled VM WiFi on my Android and ran the auto connect facility after deleting old profiles related to Virgin Media. Just like this time last year auto connect doesn't work.

VM WiFi is a pile of junk.
Same here done the set up so many times ,but I always get an error has occurred. Gave up this time and deleted the app. My phone somehow connects to Virginmedia hot spots without the app
alwaysabear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2018, 18:43   #10
figgyburn
Helter Skelter

Services: vm bbl.tvxl
figgyburn is a splendid one to beholdfiggyburn is a splendid one to beholdfiggyburn is a splendid one to beholdfiggyburn is a splendid one to beholdfiggyburn is a splendid one to beholdfiggyburn is a splendid one to beholdfiggyburn is a splendid one to beholdfiggyburn is a splendid one to beholdfiggyburn is a splendid one to behold

Yes it is pants.i live in an area/areas surrounded by vm cable and most of the time it does not automatically connect as it's supposed to.Too much faffing around to try to connect to wi-fi hotspots(coldspots more like).A half baked release by virgin.And i'm very pleased with virgin tv/broadband(apart from price increases) so this is a bit of a dissapointment.
figgyburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2018, 23:10   #11
General Maximus
Ran Away

Services: phone + 1gbit BB + SkyQ
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze

It is one of those things that they need to be able to advertise and keep up with everyone else but as with the shub's it is a half assed job. I can remember when shub1 came out and they knew it didn't work yet they continued to advertise it as having "unbeatable wireless coverage". I saw an advert on tv the other day for BT's January sale and one of their selling points for the BB was access to over 5 million wifi hotspots. VM need to make it look like they are doing something to compete but at the end of the day it is added expense. If they cant get the bugs in the shubs fixed what chance have you got of them making the wifi app etc work?
General Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2018, 01:03   #12
roughbeast
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Maximus View Post
It is one of those things that they need to be able to advertise and keep up with everyone else but as with the shub's it is a half assed job. I can remember when shub1 came out and they knew it didn't work yet they continued to advertise it as having "unbeatable wireless coverage". I saw an advert on tv the other day for BT's January sale and one of their selling points for the BB was access to over 5 million wifi hotspots. VM need to make it look like they are doing something to compete but at the end of the day it is added expense. If they cant get the bugs in the shubs fixed what chance have you got of them making the wifi app etc work?
I agree with all that. I am so happy that I registered a FON router with the FON network about 15 years ago now. As long as I keep sharing my FON hotspot I get access to BTFon hotspots in the UK and other 21 million FON hotspots worldwide. With the phone app I connect seamlessly every time a pass one in the street or visit a friend with BTFon.

Sadly, FON routers can no longer be bought, so I'm hoping mine lasts forever.
Old 09-04-2018, 22:59   #13
Gavin-D
cf.mega poster

Gavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these parts

Absolutely useless app refuses point blank to set up auto wifi connect it wont even connect to my hub
Gavin-D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2018, 23:01   #14
General Maximus
Ran Away

Services: phone + 1gbit BB + SkyQ
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze

The Virgin Media app wont connect to the Virgin Media 'super'hub?
General Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2018, 23:07   #15
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gavin-D View Post
Absolutely useless app refuses point blank to set up auto wifi connect it wont even connect to my hub
Quote:
Originally Posted by General Maximus View Post
The Virgin Media app wont connect to the Virgin Media 'super'hub?
There are two parts to the current WiFi app

1. Sets up a device to access the hotspots when you are out and about
2. Allows management of a Hub 3.0 when you're connected at home