Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Does anyone actually use a VCR anymore?

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Science & Technology

Does anyone actually use a VCR anymore?

Old 09-03-2007, 01:48   #16
jenzie
Inactive

jenzie is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Does anyone actually use a VCR anymore?

i still rent mine, along with my tv .....
can't really live without it, as i still have absolute tons of tapes
and still watch films on it
jenzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 09-03-2007, 14:23   #17
luftys
Inactive

luftys has a brilliant futureluftys has a brilliant futureluftys has a brilliant futureluftys has a brilliant futureluftys has a brilliant futureluftys has a brilliant futureluftys has a brilliant futureluftys has a brilliant futureluftys has a brilliant futureluftys has a brilliant futureluftys has a brilliant futureluftys has a brilliant future

Wat a VCR?,I still use a video player if that the same
luftys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2007, 14:41   #18
orangebird
Inactive

Services: Yeah Baby! ;)
orangebird has a nice shiny starorangebird has a nice shiny starorangebird has a nice shiny starorangebird has a nice shiny starorangebird has a nice shiny star
orangebird has a nice shiny starorangebird has a nice shiny starorangebird has a nice shiny starorangebird has a nice shiny starorangebird has a nice shiny starorangebird has a nice shiny starorangebird has a nice shiny starorangebird has a nice shiny starorangebird has a nice shiny starorangebird has a nice shiny starorangebird has a nice shiny starorangebird has a nice shiny starorangebird has a nice shiny starorangebird has a nice shiny starorangebird has a nice shiny starorangebird has a nice shiny starorangebird has a nice shiny starorangebird has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by luftys View Post
Wat a VCR?<SNIP>
Video Cassette Recorder
orangebird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2007, 14:47   #19
Halcyon
Hello !

Services: Sky, AppleTV, Netflix
Halcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered stars
Halcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenzie View Post
i still rent mine, along with my tv .....
can't really live without it, as i still have absolute tons of tapes
and still watch films on it

Is it still worth renting ?
I used to think so years ago but now things are so cheap you've probably bought ten VCR's in that time, no ?

Halcyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2007, 23:50   #20
Pikem4n
Inactive

Services: Virgin 10meg BroadBand, and sky freesat Tv
Pikem4n is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi there

I install alot of dvd recorders and the like for a living, and i have recently noticed that alot of my companie's customers seem to be buying vcr/dvd recorders so they can copy old video's to dvd.

But buying ( and even selling) vcr's seems to be so yesteryear, and i doubt anyone really bothers with recording onto tape anymore.
Pikem4n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 00:01   #21
Matthew
cf.mega poster

Matthew has reached the bronze age
Matthew has reached the bronze ageMatthew has reached the bronze ageMatthew has reached the bronze ageMatthew has reached the bronze ageMatthew has reached the bronze ageMatthew has reached the bronze age

We have on downstairs that the parents and brother use to record TV but I just have a TV/DVD up here. Got some videos but currently selling them on eBay as I get the DVD version.
Old 12-03-2007, 00:01   #22
MovedGoalPosts
Inactive

MovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny stars
MovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny stars

Unless you run to the expense of a Hard Disk recorder, the VCR is still, for most people, the more convenient medium, especially if you are less technically minded.

You can look at the window in the tape and see if there is likely to be space or not. Rewind a tape and start recording again.

The DVD seems much more complex. Rewritable disks have to be reformatted to erase them. Until it's in the drive you don't know what space is left. Do you need a + or - disk. So many questions, too much to explain.

And of course there is then the stuff that was bought, or you historically have on video, like those home movies. No wonder VCRs are still selling well the legacy of content means they will be here for a long while.
MovedGoalPosts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 00:01   #23
Stuart
-

Services: Virgin for TV and Internet, BT for phone
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrC-3rr0r View Post
Trouble is that a lot of people still use the tapes as a medium... I mean my missus brought home a tape the other week with so called study materials on it.
Tell me about it. A couple of months ago, one of the guys at work had a birthday. As a joke, someone suggested going to the pub at lunch, and getting them to play Stevie Wonder's happy birthday.

Then, for some reason, somebody suggested putting it on tape. So, not having a tape recorder to hand, but being in charge of the equipment we lend to students, I start rooting around looking for a tape recorder. We used to have a load of rather nice Denon tape decks in our studio (at work). Seems these had probably been sold off when the studio was refitted. So, no luck. I eventually (after about 1.5 hours) found an old marantz portable, which I used to record the song (had that on itunes).

We get to the pub, explain the situation, and ask if we can play something on the hifi. He says yes. We hand him the tape, and he looks at us as if we are stupid..
Stuart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 05:44   #24
valor
Inactive

Services: Virgin Media VIP
valor is on a distinguished roadvalor is on a distinguished road

To add to the numbers..I know a least a dozen people who use VHS, my m8 actually bought a brand new samsung CRT tele with on combined..I myself have one plumbed in as I sometimes use it to record stuff.
valor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 07:50   #25
Graham M
-

Services: FreeSat+ Tivo V-Box VM 60MBit
Graham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny stars
Graham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny stars
Send a message via MSN to Graham M Send a message via Yahoo to Graham M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halcyon View Post
Is it still worth renting ?
I used to think so years ago but now things are so cheap you've probably bought ten VCR's in that time, no ?
You get the added benefit with renting of an ongoing Warranty I guess that's one benefit.
Graham M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 09:50   #26
mart44
Inactive

mart44 has entered a golden reputation eramart44 has entered a golden reputation eramart44 has entered a golden reputation eramart44 has entered a golden reputation eramart44 has entered a golden reputation eramart44 has entered a golden reputation eramart44 has entered a golden reputation eramart44 has entered a golden reputation eramart44 has entered a golden reputation eramart44 has entered a golden reputation eramart44 has entered a golden reputation era

We have both a VHS and a DVD recorder and use both. Strictly speaking, VCR was early Philips system only wasn't it? A patented term and that's why the name VHS had to be used?
mart44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 10:10   #27
Stephen
Bah Humbug!!

Services: Sky Q 2Tb, Sky Q mini, boxsets and Sports & Movies HD, Sky Fibre unlimited
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star

Since I got my V+ installed in October of last year my VCR has been removed and stored in the loft.
Old 12-03-2007, 12:19   #28
MikeyB
cf.geek

Services: BT FTTP, Humax Foxsat HDR Freesat+
MikeyB has much to be proud ofMikeyB has much to be proud ofMikeyB has much to be proud ofMikeyB has much to be proud ofMikeyB has much to be proud ofMikeyB has much to be proud ofMikeyB has much to be proud ofMikeyB has much to be proud ofMikeyB has much to be proud ofMikeyB has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by mart44 View Post
We have both a VHS and a DVD recorder and use both. Strictly speaking, VCR was early Philips system only wasn't it? A patented term and that's why the name VHS had to be used?
The Philips system was called Video 2000.
Then there was Betamax (Sony)
And JVC did VHS, which won the battle.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VHS

VCR just means Video Cassette Recorder, which all of the above 3 are:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VCR
MikeyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 18:25   #29
Gareth
cf.mega poster

Gareth has a pair of shiny starsGareth has a pair of shiny starsGareth has a pair of shiny starsGareth has a pair of shiny starsGareth has a pair of shiny starsGareth has a pair of shiny stars
Gareth has a pair of shiny starsGareth has a pair of shiny starsGareth has a pair of shiny starsGareth has a pair of shiny starsGareth has a pair of shiny starsGareth has a pair of shiny stars

Still got one, although don't use it much... keeping it though, as we've got loads of cassettes kicking around.

My granddad only recently bought a DVD player... which is good for me, as I tried to get him a Tommy Cooper video for xmas but couldn't find anywhere except fleabay selling 2nd hand ones. Can now get him a brand new DVD for a quarter of the price of a used VHS cassette - and it's his birthday in a couple of weeks
Gareth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2018, 22:26   #30
Dude111
An Awesome Dude

Dude111 has a bronzed appealDude111 has a bronzed appeal
Dude111 has a bronzed appealDude111 has a bronzed appealDude111 has a bronzed appealDude111 has a bronzed appealDude111 has a bronzed appealDude111 has a bronzed appealDude111 has a bronzed appealDude111 has a bronzed appeal
Its good to see you here Gareth!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Action Jackson
Does anyone still use these lumbering beasts of yesteryear?
I love my VCR,I do not like DVD at all (digital) -- I love and prefer analogue and always have...... To me its a much nicer experience........ (More natural) My VCR is Linear Mono and I love her so much

I have a concert from PHIL COLLINS recorded in 1990 (SERIOUSLY LIVE) and its composite analogue video...... And on the linear track,ITS THE ORIGINAL ANALOGUE CONCERT AUDIO and is goregous!!!!!! (You cant hear most of his solo 80s stuff IN PURE ANALOGUE because it was all digitally compromised on records and casettes -- The concert was digitally recorded also and that is on the HIFI track and to me sounds aweful (thin,etc)))

Im sorry Paul for replying to this thread but I just had to mate........ I love VCRs and I wanted to reply to an existing thread and not make a mess by starting a new one...... (Especially on the same base (doesnt look good having duplicates))

Last edited by Dude111; 06-02-2018 at 23:10.
Dude111 is offline   Reply With Quote