Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Does anyone actually use a VCR anymore?

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Science & Technology

Does anyone actually use a VCR anymore?

Old 02-03-2007, 12:13   #1
Action Jackson
Permanently Banned

Action Jackson is a name known to allAction Jackson is a name known to allAction Jackson is a name known to allAction Jackson is a name known to allAction Jackson is a name known to allAction Jackson is a name known to allAction Jackson is a name known to allAction Jackson is a name known to all
Does anyone actually use a VCR anymore?

At Christmas I bought my mother a DVD recorder, plumbed it in for her and showed her how to work it. I visit her a few weeks later and she had re-installed the VCR, citing 'irreconcilable differences' between her and the DVD recorder.

I haven't owned a VCR for about 5 years now. I simply don't think I could go back to watching films or recordings that were VCR quality.

Does anyone still use these lumbering beasts of yesteryear?
Action Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 02-03-2007, 12:16   #2
dilli-theclaw
R.I.P.

Services: BT
dilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden aura
dilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden aura
Re: Does anyone actually use a VCR anymore?

I know a fair few people that do yes.

I have one wired into my other pc up here - which I use to convert vhs to dvd.
dilli-theclaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2007, 12:25   #3
Action Jackson
Permanently Banned

Action Jackson is a name known to allAction Jackson is a name known to allAction Jackson is a name known to allAction Jackson is a name known to allAction Jackson is a name known to allAction Jackson is a name known to allAction Jackson is a name known to allAction Jackson is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jefferson T View Post

I could see the point in having one to convert VHS to DVD, especially if it was old home video footage.

I just don't think I could watch a VHS movie these days, not with DVD quality films being available. I binned my entire collection of VHS movies years ago and have managed to replace all of them with DVD equivalents.

Admittedly, I'm a bit of an audio/video snob.
Old 02-03-2007, 12:26   #4
Xaccers
Inactive

Xaccers has a pair of shiny starsXaccers has a pair of shiny starsXaccers has a pair of shiny starsXaccers has a pair of shiny stars
Xaccers has a pair of shiny starsXaccers has a pair of shiny starsXaccers has a pair of shiny starsXaccers has a pair of shiny starsXaccers has a pair of shiny starsXaccers has a pair of shiny starsXaccers has a pair of shiny starsXaccers has a pair of shiny starsXaccers has a pair of shiny starsXaccers has a pair of shiny starsXaccers has a pair of shiny starsXaccers has a pair of shiny stars

Anyone got a spare betamax?
Parents' one died a couple of years back and they have tapes they want putting on DVD.
Xaccers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2007, 12:26   #5
orangebird
Inactive

Services: Yeah Baby! ;)
orangebird has a nice shiny starorangebird has a nice shiny starorangebird has a nice shiny starorangebird has a nice shiny starorangebird has a nice shiny star
orangebird has a nice shiny starorangebird has a nice shiny starorangebird has a nice shiny starorangebird has a nice shiny starorangebird has a nice shiny starorangebird has a nice shiny starorangebird has a nice shiny starorangebird has a nice shiny starorangebird has a nice shiny starorangebird has a nice shiny starorangebird has a nice shiny starorangebird has a nice shiny starorangebird has a nice shiny starorangebird has a nice shiny starorangebird has a nice shiny starorangebird has a nice shiny starorangebird has a nice shiny starorangebird has a nice shiny star

Quote:

I do - I have a dvd-video combi thing. I own a lot of series on video and am not about to spend money replacing them with dvds. As for the quality of recordings...the sound & picture is fine for me.
orangebird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2007, 12:29   #6
Halcyon
Hello !

Services: Sky, AppleTV, Netflix
Halcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered stars
Halcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered stars

My parents still use videos.
I keep telling them about the advantages of a DVD recorder with built in Hard drive for easy recording, but still no go as yet.
Everytime they rewind a tape or play it, I keep telling them the tape gets stretched and damaged.

It would cut down the room taken by videos by half if they converted to DVD's.

Halcyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2007, 12:36   #7
Action Jackson
Permanently Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halcyon View Post
My parents still use videos.
I keep telling them about the advantages of a DVD recorder with built in Hard drive for easy recording, but still no go as yet.
Everytime they rewind a tape or play it, I keep telling them the tape gets stretched and damaged.

It would cut down the room taken by videos by half if they converted to DVD's.

I don't ever record anything to be honest, preferring to download anything I miss on telly (if not available on-demand). So I don't really have any need for a VCR or a DVD recorder these days.

---------- Post added at 11:36 ---------- Previous post was at 11:34 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xaccers View Post
Parents' one died a couple of years back and they have tapes they want putting on DVD.
Top loader?

Have to jump on it to get the tape in?

Ahhh, the memories.......

Old 02-03-2007, 12:39   #8
c1rcle
Inactive

c1rcle is a name known to allc1rcle is a name known to allc1rcle is a name known to allc1rcle is a name known to allc1rcle is a name known to allc1rcle is a name known to allc1rcle is a name known to allc1rcle is a name known to all

I have a vcr in the cupboard, been there since we moved 14 months ago just never got round to connecting it up, don't even know if it still works either. Probably dump it soon too, when I can be bothered.
c1rcle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2007, 12:50   #9
dilli-theclaw
R.I.P.

dilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden aura
dilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xaccers View Post
I do have one in the attic but have no idea if it still works. Give me the weekend and I'll check.

Got a lot on my plate atm so PM me Monday if you've not heard anything ('cos I've no doubt forgotton )
Old 02-03-2007, 13:29   #10
MikeyB
cf.geek

Services: BT FTTP, Humax Foxsat HDR Freesat+
MikeyB has much to be proud ofMikeyB has much to be proud ofMikeyB has much to be proud ofMikeyB has much to be proud ofMikeyB has much to be proud ofMikeyB has much to be proud ofMikeyB has much to be proud ofMikeyB has much to be proud ofMikeyB has much to be proud ofMikeyB has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Action Jackson View Post
At Christmas I bought my mother a DVD recorder, plumbed it in for her and showed her how to work it. I visit her a few weeks later and she had re-installed the VCR, citing 'irreconcilable differences' between her and the DVD recorder.
I can see my parents having the same thoughts.
Their VCR is easy to use, put a tape in, rewind it if needed, and press record.
My DVD recorder, put DVD-R in, wait a minute (feels like a whole minute anyway!) while it reads it, check anything on it, go into the menu, delete the existing program(s), come out of the menus, and then finally press record!

But then maybe it's just my particular DVD recorder that's a bit slow & fiddly to get going.
Wish I'd spent a bit more and got a DVD recorder with HDD...

But I haven't used my VCR to record anything since I got my DVD recorder, but I do have a load of videos, so how would I watch those if I got rid of the VCR?
I have copied a couple of Videos to DVD just to try it, but will have to do more soon.
MikeyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2007, 13:35   #11
Paul
Dr Pepper Addict
Cable Forum Team

Services: Flextel SIP : Sky Mobile : Sky Q TV : VM BB (1000 Mbps) : Aquiss FTTP (330 Mbps)
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars

Yes, I have a lot of home movie stuff on VHS still.

Baby, I was born this way.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2007, 13:40   #12
Wicked_and_Crazy
cf.mega poster

Wicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny star
Wicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny star
Send a message via MSN to Wicked_and_Crazy Send a message via Yahoo to Wicked_and_Crazy

Still use a VHS, i see no point in buying a DVD recorder until the VHS breaks. Its not as if the quality is that poor when recorded off of TV to make it a burning desire to change.
Wicked_and_Crazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2007, 13:55   #13
The Jackal
Inactive

The Jackal has a bronzed appealThe Jackal has a bronzed appeal
The Jackal has a bronzed appealThe Jackal has a bronzed appealThe Jackal has a bronzed appealThe Jackal has a bronzed appealThe Jackal has a bronzed appealThe Jackal has a bronzed appealThe Jackal has a bronzed appealThe Jackal has a bronzed appealThe Jackal has a bronzed appeal

Went out to buy a VCR a few years back and BOY was it difficult ! So little choice and such ugly looking chunky boxes. The machines of yesteryear were slimmer and had better specifications !

Trouble is that a lot of people still use the tapes as a medium... I mean my missus brought home a tape the other week with so called study materials on it.
The Jackal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2007, 13:58   #14
dilli-theclaw
R.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrC-3rr0r View Post
Went out to buy a VCR a few years back and BOY was it difficult ! So little choice and such ugly looking chunky boxes. The machines of yesteryear were slimmer and had better specifications !

Trouble is that a lot of people still use the tapes as a medium... I mean my missus brought home a tape the other week with so called study materials on it.
This is a very good point.

Imagine the fun I had when I realised that I had to find a cassette player
Old 02-03-2007, 14:44   #15
The Jackal
Inactive

The Jackal has a bronzed appealThe Jackal has a bronzed appeal
The Jackal has a bronzed appealThe Jackal has a bronzed appealThe Jackal has a bronzed appealThe Jackal has a bronzed appealThe Jackal has a bronzed appealThe Jackal has a bronzed appealThe Jackal has a bronzed appealThe Jackal has a bronzed appealThe Jackal has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
This is a very good point.

Imagine the fun I had when I realised that I had to find a cassette player
LOL I still have my beloved Sony TCK-611S which I had to really struggle to buy when I was working as a sales assistant many years back !

3 heads - amorphous head - dolby S noise reduction WTF !

£300 it cost ! and my monthly take home was like £500
It took 6 months of hard work to get my HiFi built and 15 years on I still dont have the speakers ! ROFL.

Maybe one day I'll plug it into my i-river and rip some tapes to mp3
The Jackal is offline   Reply With Quote