Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Using multiple pairs of powerline adapters

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking

Using multiple pairs of powerline adapters

Old 15-02-2018, 11:37   #1
daveeb
cf.mega poster

daveeb has reached the bronze age
daveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze age
Using multiple pairs of powerline adapters

I was just wondering if it's possible / sensible to use two different pairs of network adapters to supply an internet connection to two different locations on the same ring main. Currently use a TP link to supply my sons X-box as he was having wifi issues but the powerline is great and gives a solid 90 Mbps.

If i were to introduce another pair could it impact the performance of the first one. Also would using an entirely different brand make any difference ?
I also have the option of using a second network (via a sky router) but not sure this would make any difference as still using the same ring main, and unlike the VM connection the Sky connection is woefully slow (4 Mbps on a good day).
daveeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 15-02-2018, 11:56   #2
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

RichardCoulter has disabled reputation
Re: using multiple pairs of powerline adapters

Don't know the answer, but it's a very interesting question...
RichardCoulter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2018, 12:34   #3
tweetiepooh
Virgin Media Employee

Services: Staff MyRates BB: VM XXL TV: VM XL Phone : VM XL
tweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appeal
tweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appeal

What are you trying to achieve as there may be easier options? If you need more "points" near your son can you plug in a WiFi router as an access point there instead of just the X-box. The X-box can then either plug into router via wire or use wireless.

If you are talking about 2 ISP boxes it can get more tricksy as home devices usually only have single WAN connections. You would put a switch or router in with the 2 ISP devices on the "external" and other ports on "internal" with rules to route to the ISP of choice. Internally devices would then all be on same LAN still.
Old 15-02-2018, 12:49   #4
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars

Powerline kit conforms to different standards e.g HomePlug AV, HomePlug AV 2:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HomePlug#Versions

As long as the adapters are of the same standard they should work together. However as with anything your mileage may vary.

You shouldn't really mix standards as it works similar to wirelss and will drop down to the lowest standard.
Old 15-02-2018, 14:27   #5
daveeb
cf.mega poster

daveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by tweetiepooh View Post
What are you trying to achieve as there may be easier options? If you need more "points" near your son can you plug in a WiFi router as an access point there instead of just the X-box. The X-box can then either plug into router via wire or use wireless.

If you are talking about 2 ISP boxes it can get more tricksy as home devices usually only have single WAN connections. You would put a switch or router in with the 2 ISP devices on the "external" and other ports on "internal" with rules to route to the ISP of choice. Internally devices would then all be on same LAN still.
I'm trying to get an internet connection to a tv upstairs that only has an ethernet socket and is quite a way from both my VM router and the Sky router I mentioned. I don't fancy running cat5 cable all the way, the powerline seems the easiest solution (assuming it doesn't mess up my sons decent powerline connection with conflicting signals through the house wiring).

---------- Post added at 13:27 ---------- Previous post was at 13:20 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenMcr View Post
Powerline kit conforms to different standards e.g HomePlug AV, HomePlug AV 2:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HomePlug#Versions

As long as the adapters are of the same standard they should work together. However as with anything your mileage may vary.

You shouldn't really mix standards as it works similar to wirelss and will drop down to the lowest standard.
Cheers Ben.I suppose my question is will the paired adapters also influence the other pairing or will Bill just speak to Ben and Bonnie just speak to Clyde as I would want.
Old 15-02-2018, 14:29   #6
arcimedes
cf.mega poster

Services: TV XL ,TiVo X 2, 200Mb Broadband XL phone
arcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond repute

On the Tivo downstairs I have connected it to a tplink games adapter which sends the signal (5G) upstairs to my Asus router and then via ethernet to a switch where the V6 tivo is connected. This works very well.
arcimedes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2018, 15:44   #7
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveeb View Post
Cheers Ben.I suppose my question is will the paired adapters also influence the other pairing or will Bill just speak to Ben and Bonnie just speak to Clyde as I would want.
Ideally they should all be added to the same Powerline network.

For instance this is how it works with TP Link:
https://www.tp-link.com/uk/faq-848.html

Other adapters may use a dedicated security button or other method.

Creating two separate networks may cause an issue, and would also require two connections back to the Hub.

As with an Ethernet wired setup, devices connected via your Powerline network would only talk to the other device it needed to at the time.

Last edited by BenMcr; 15-02-2018 at 15:47.
BenMcr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2018, 16:14   #8
daveeb
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenMcr View Post
Ideally they should all be added to the same Powerline network.

For instance this is how it works with TP Link:
https://www.tp-link.com/uk/faq-848.html

Other adapters may use a dedicated security button or other method.

Creating two separate networks may cause an issue, and would also require two connections back to the Hub.

As with an Ethernet wired setup, devices connected via your Powerline network would only talk to the other device it needed to at the time.
Great thanks, I've bookmarked that.
Old 16-02-2018, 11:20   #9
tweetiepooh
Virgin Media Employee

tweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appeal
Re: Using multiple pairs of powerline adapters

If these are all on the same network and the 2 ISP routers are a "red herring" here can your son's xbox get wireless from the new TV point? In that case powerline to the new TV point and put a router there as an access point. TV will ethernet to router and xbox wireless to the same.
Old 17-02-2018, 22:28   #10
daveeb
cf.mega poster

Quote:
If these are all on the same network and the 2 ISP routers are a "red herring" here can your son's xbox get wireless from the new TV point? In that case powerline to the new TV point and put a router there as an access point. TV will ethernet to router and xbox wireless to the same.
Unfortunately the xbox doesn't play well with vm wireless...hence the homeplugs. I think i'm good with the options now, thanks for the ideas
Old 19-02-2018, 12:07   #11
tweetiepooh
Virgin Media Employee

But in this case the xbox won't use VM wireless, it would use the wireless on the access point.
Old 19-02-2018, 18:36   #12
progers
Pete

Services: Broadband Up to 100Mb ~ TV Mix & TiVo 1Tb ~ Phone: Talk More Anytime
progers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these parts

You don’t need to add another pair, just one paired to the original that supplies the Internet from your router
progers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2018, 18:54   #13
daveeb
cf.mega poster

Quote:
But in this case the xbox won't use VM wireless, it would use the wireless on the access point.
But the wireless internet would still (ultimately) be VM , the microsoft server used to terminate the connection (can't remember what the issue was, but it was a known problem) as there was something it didn't like about VM. It wasn't a wireless quality issue. Strangely homeplugs work fine.

---------- Post added at 17:54 ---------- Previous post was at 17:53 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by progers View Post
You don’t need to add another pair, just one paired to the original that supplies the Internet from your router
Yes that is what i'll be doing.

Thanks all.
Old 19-02-2018, 22:51   #14
oliver1948uk
cf.geek

Services: VM Mix TV, 200 internet, basic house phone. Also Virgin mobile phone
oliver1948uk has a fine set of Quadsoliver1948uk has a fine set of Quadsoliver1948uk has a fine set of Quadsoliver1948uk has a fine set of Quadsoliver1948uk has a fine set of Quadsoliver1948uk has a fine set of Quadsoliver1948uk has a fine set of Quadsoliver1948uk has a fine set of Quadsoliver1948uk has a fine set of Quadsoliver1948uk has a fine set of Quadsoliver1948uk has a fine set of Quadsoliver1948uk has a fine set of Quadsoliver1948uk has a fine set of Quadsoliver1948uk has a fine set of Quads

My lad has both Xbox 360 and Xbox One S connected by VM WiFi. No problems whatsoever.
oliver1948uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2018, 11:31   #15
daveeb
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by oliver1948uk View Post
My lad has both Xbox 360 and Xbox One S connected by VM WiFi. No problems whatsoever.
He had no issues with his 360 either. Just his X-box one is the problem.