Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Replacement router

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service

Replacement router

Old 10-07-2021, 21:27   #1
whitwori
cf.member

Services: V+ Box V Box BB aol
whitwori is an unknown quantity at this point
Replacement router

Hi all

Ongoing issues with the SH3 that I know are not going to be resolved.

Rather than keep wasting my time on the phone I'm after suggestions for a replacement standalone replacement for SH3

1. Easy to set up
2. Excellent WiFi
3. Runs without VM equipment
4. Where would I get details to add into router?

Anyone got any suggestions they use?

Thanks

Andy
whitwori is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 10-07-2021, 21:32   #2
rtho782
cf.addict

rtho782 is just really nicertho782 is just really nicertho782 is just really nicertho782 is just really nicertho782 is just really nicertho782 is just really nice
Re: Replacement router

There is nothing. VM will not allow a DOCSIS modem they have not supplied on their network. You cannot buy your own modem and use it in the UK. It won't work. There are no workarounds.

You can put the SH3 in modem mode and use your own router. You still risk suffering with SH3 Puma Chipset issues.
rtho782 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2021, 21:34   #3
whitwori
cf.member

So you cannot replace their shit equipment great
Old 10-07-2021, 21:42   #4
Jaymoss
Just a Geek

Jaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appeal
Jaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appeal

TP link M4 or S4 mesh system would solve all your woes ( but you still use the router either as a switch or as a modem)
Jaymoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2021, 22:12   #5
nomadking
cf.mega poster

Services: Virgin Media TV&BB 350Mb, V6 STB
nomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze array
nomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze array

Just have another router connected to the SH and have that deal will the WiFi traffic.
nomadking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2021, 11:15   #6
General Maximus
Ran Away

Services: phone + 1gbit BB + SkyQ
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitwori View Post
So you cannot replace their shit equipment great
nope, although using the shub in modem modem does tend to alleviate you pf many of the problems. I have had shubs 1, 2 and 3 in modem mode from day 1 and never had a problem with them.

This is the caveat though; having your own proper router is an absolute godsend providing you buy a decent one. You get what you pay for and as with the shubs, if you buy cheap then you get naff. Although routers aren't as entertaining as TVs and phones, they are even more vital than those items and arguably more essential as they facilitate those items and many others working and your enjoyment of them. Routers are something you indirectly use, enjoy and benefit from everyday. Investing in a proper router will provide you with a solid home network where everything will work seamlessly together without any dramas, great wifi coverage plus additional benefits such as settings your own DNS servers.

I have just crawled out of bed so I will take a look at the prices later and make some recommendations.
General Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2021, 11:39   #7
whitwori
cf.member

Cheers maximus
Old 11-07-2021, 12:04   #8
Jaymoss
Just a Geek

Jaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Maximus View Post
nope, although using the shub in modem modem does tend to alleviate you pf many of the problems. I have had shubs 1, 2 and 3 in modem mode from day 1 and never had a problem with them.

This is the caveat though; having your own proper router is an absolute godsend providing you buy a decent one. You get what you pay for and as with the shubs, if you buy cheap then you get naff. Although routers aren't as entertaining as TVs and phones, they are even more vital than those items and arguably more essential as they facilitate those items and many others working and your enjoyment of them. Routers are something you indirectly use, enjoy and benefit from everyday. Investing in a proper router will provide you with a solid home network where everything will work seamlessly together without any dramas, great wifi coverage plus additional benefits such as settings your own DNS servers.

I have just crawled out of bed so I will take a look at the prices later and make some recommendations.
IMO times have changed and second router is no longer the better option.

You still have one of the same issues you always had no matter what stand alone router you buy and that is everything comes from a single point.

This is why I believe a decent Mesh system is far and away the better solution. You do not need to be in modem mode you just turn wifi off. This means you keep the switch in the router active. You then connect to your primary node in most cases giving you an extra lan ports meaning you have a full complement of 4 where the router sits. Then as I am sure you know you position the rest of your nodes so you get full coverage between them and roam between them seamlessly. If you want and buy the right Mesh system you can backhaul the nodes together. I simply run a cable outside my house and connected primary node to secondary node upstairs meaning full speed on both floors. I then placed a tracery wireless node on my landing meaning at every point in my house and up my garden and half way up the street I get full wifi speeds

This in my experience gives me better coverage than any modem/single router set up I have ever tried in over 20 years in the game
Old 11-07-2021, 12:06   #9
rtho782
cf.addict

rtho782 is just really nicertho782 is just really nicertho782 is just really nicertho782 is just really nicertho782 is just really nicertho782 is just really nice

In my opinion, the optimum solution for home is a UDM-Pro, and wired access points about the house. Mesh is just a crap version of using wired access points, albeit much easier to deploy.

A cheaper option is a UDM base as a router, with additional access points if required.

Consumer routers that look like alien spaceships give good coverage in a small area of the house, but multiple radios is really the way forward.
Old 11-07-2021, 12:28   #10
Jaymoss
Just a Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtho782 View Post
In my opinion, the optimum solution for home is a UDM-Pro, and wired access points about the house. Mesh is just a crap version of using wired access points, albeit much easier to deploy.

A cheaper option is a UDM base as a router, with additional access points if required.

Consumer routers that look like alien spaceships give good coverage in a small area of the house, but multiple radios is really the way forward.
No it isn't

Plus your solution costs a few hundred at least and requires a lot of work and wiring mine can cover a 3 to 4 bedroom house for a single hundred pounds

Last edited by Jaymoss; 11-07-2021 at 12:34.
Old 11-07-2021, 12:36   #11
rtho782
cf.addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaymoss View Post
No it isn't

Plus your solution costs a few hundred at least and requires a lot of work and wiring mine can cover a 3 to 4 bedroom house for a single hundred pounds
Wired access points are objectively better than mesh. Yes, mesh is cheaper. Sticking with the SH3 is free.

The access points themselves are not priced that badly.
Old 11-07-2021, 12:44   #12
Jaymoss
Just a Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtho782 View Post
Wired access points are objectively better than mesh. Yes, mesh is cheaper. Sticking with the SH3 is free.

The access points themselves are not priced that badly.
you can wire a mesh system as I said I have done.

---------- Post added at 11:44 ---------- Previous post was at 11:40 ----------

If I was decorating my whole house at once I would consider your option along with POE access points but that job would cost me over £600 not including the decorating hehehehe
Old 11-07-2021, 13:29   #13
rtho782
cf.addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaymoss View Post
you can wire a mesh system as I said I have done.

---------- Post added at 11:44 ---------- Previous post was at 11:40 ----------

If I was decorating my whole house at once I would consider your option along with POE access points but that job would cost me over £600 not including the decorating hehehehe
Yeah it's not for everyone, but then neither is adding anything to the SH3.

I have a UDM-Pro, 2 UAP-AC-LRs, 2 UAP-AC-Pros, two downstairs and two upstairs, and a UAP-AC-M-Pro outside, giving me coverage everywhere (and halfway to the shop lol).

The core of my network is 10G, and I'm completely futureproof for when Cityfibre finish Ipswich, even if they later offer 10G over XS-GPON.
Old 11-07-2021, 22:29   #14
General Maximus
Ran Away

Services: phone + 1gbit BB + SkyQ
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze

Okay, so I am going to start off with some food for thought and points for consideration which you can ponder over when you look at new routers and features. 10 years ago most people had a pc or laptop which was connected to the internet and maybe a phone which they tried to use wifi on. Even back then cheapo routers like the shub1 barely managed to cope and if you added any additional devices to the network and started moving data across the network the shub 1 just keeled over and died. These days (and I am using myself as an example here) people have multiple pcs and laptops (wifi), phones (wifi), tablets (wifi), smart tvs (wired or wifi), sky boxes, NAS' and printers (wired/wifi). We ask a lot of our routers and networks; anything from simply checking your emails to streaming the latest movie. It is important that your router meets the demands placed on it and not only meets them but can exceed them because after all, if you are spending money on your own router you want it to last a while so futureproofing comes into. My current router is in its fourth year so it has done well but I know that I am probably going to upgrade to 1gbit next year and will need to invest in a new router.

People use routers for different things and as people become more connected they want to share more. It is becoming increasingly common for people to attach external hard drives and normal printers to the usb ports on their router and share them across the network as a networked resource. When you do things like this you need to make sure that the software side of the router functions as desired and things actually work. Many routers advertise printer sharing for example then but when it comes to actually setting it up and running the service it is a pain in the ass and sometimes just doesn't want to work.

As I mentioned this morning, you get what you pay for. Many people are completely put off by the idea of buying their own router because they think it is the isps responsibility to provide them with a free one and unless you are a techy buying a router isn't something you have considered before. It is like someone telling you that you have got to buy a fuse box for your house. You don't want to do it and just want the cheapest one possible to get the job done. Those people that do want their own router have a reason for it and there is no point having a half hearted approach to it. You can think of routers as the tree trunk of entertainment in your house. They might not be something you look at and play with everyday but if they aren't working properly or doing what you want them to then nothing else works and your day to day living soon grinds to a halt.

When buying a new router you are making an investment and an addition to your household which you are going to want to last you several years so it is important that you buy something which is fit for purpose, works seamlessly in the background, does what you want it to and you know is going to last. As I mentioned above, some people buy routers very reluctantly and as such want to spend as little money as possible on one (£50 or less) and they just doesn't work imho, not unless your needs are minimal. I have listed 3 routers below which each have varying performance levels, wifi coverage and extensive features. Even though the first option is the more basic out the three, I have got it myself and it still kicks ass over the majority of other routers. That being said, the Asus AC86u is a cracking price atm and if I had to buy a new router today the 86u would be the one I would go for unless I had the cash to splash on an RoG router. When you buy an Asus router (like a Mercedes or shopping at John Lewis) you know you are buying a guaranteed level of quality, performance and features.
That brings me to my next point and other forum users are going to chastise me for saying this. I know everyone has their own tastes but I wouldn't touch TP Link routers with a barge pole. They are simple and cheap and for some people might do the job but Asus routers are the bees knees and you can't go wrong with them. I can't remember the exact details (I think it was something to do with port forwarding) but a while ago somebody on this forum had an issue and they said they had a TP Link router. It was a straight forward problem to solve for a proper standalone router and everybody said "all you need to do is ......." and the user came back saying "my router doesn't have that feature" and I couldn't believe it. Now is the best time of the year to buy a router and make an investment because you haven't got halloween, bonfire night or Christmas coming up and if you need to you can save a little bit for the next two months so you can make the right choice.

Asus AC68u £118 - AC1900, dual band, 4 port switch, 734Mbits wan to throughput
Asus AC86u £135 - AC2900, dual band, 4 port switch, 938Mbits wan to lan throughput
Asus AC5300 £259 - AC5300, tri band, 8 port switch, 937Mbits wan to lan throughput

I have highlighted some of they key differences for you but there are obviously many more features to consider and you can obviously google some reviews to look at. The hyperlinks for each model number will take you to the Asus product page and the hyperlink on the price will take you to Amazon.

Even though I have made several comments and points to consider, buying one standalone router is just the tip of the iceberg. I started off this post remarking on the number of devices I have on my network so you can assess your own needs and the type of router you want to get and what it is going to be used for. You might decide that this is not the path for you and as you have seen above, other users are already advocating alternatives and mentioned wireless access points and mesh networks for example. I have gone for a hybrid network to ensure all my needs are met and have wired connections to the rooms that need them in the house so fixed devices like tvs, pcs, printers and sky boxes are serviced by a switch and have a reliable wired connection for streaming etc. I also have a second router downstairs on the opposite side of the house which is running in wireless access point mode in order to provide fast and reliable wifi coverage throughout the house. This is another fantastic feature of Asus routers and something you might want to consider.

There are lots of options and please come back to us if you need any more advice or have any questions. I haven't listed the three options above the sake of it. They are all great quality routers and will deliver a solid performance. I would have any of them and as I mentioned, I have got the AC68u, would buy the 86u right now if my router died and would seriously look at the AC5300 and consider saving for the AX11000. You can't go wrong with Asus.
General Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2021, 10:35   #15
tweetiepooh
Virgin Media Employee

Services: Staff MyRates BB: VM XXL TV: VM XL Phone : VM XL
tweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appeal
tweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appeal

The OP hasn't really stated what issues are being faced so is it the SH or the service?

Is it wifi only - VM do offer the Plume mesh system but demand is high?

Is it wifi and the OP lives in a stone built house with really thick walls? Or wants signal in the cellar or right down the garden.

He has very many devices so can't connect them all (not likely yet but could be possible), this may need advice on subnetting (set netmask to something other than 255.255.255.0). Fixing Wifi or even using ethernet won't help this issue.