Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | [Update] Windows 10 Discussion

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > General IT Discussion
Register FAQ Community Calendar

[Update] Windows 10 Discussion

Old 19-06-2015, 20:40   #691
Dave42
cf.mega poster

Services: V.I.P 120 tivo and v+
Dave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronze
Dave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronze
Re: [Update] Windows 10 Discussion

Getting the final release on July 29th
Windows Insiders running the Windows 10 Insider Preview (Home and Pro editions) with their registered MSA connected to their PC will receive the final release build of Windows 10 starting on July 29th. This will come as just another flight. I’ve gotten a lot of questions from Windows Insiders about how this will work if they clean installed from ISO. As long as you are running an Insider Preview build and connected with the MSA you used to register, you will receive the Windows 10 final release build and remain activated. Once you have successfully installed this build and activated, you will also be able to clean install on that PC from final media if you want to start over fresh.

If you are running the Enterprise edition of the Windows 10 Insider Preview, to upgrade to the final release of Windows 10 Enterprise you will need to download and activate it from Volume Licensing Service Center. As a reminder, the Enterprise edition of the Windows 10 Insider Preview is not eligible for the free upgrade offer and can be upgraded to the final release of Windows 10 through an active Software Assurance agreement.

http://blogs.windows.com/bloggingwin...review-builds/
Dave42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 20-06-2015, 21:45   #692
alanbjames
R.I.P.

Services: XL Phone, XXXL Gig1 BB SH4 (wired).
alanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these parts

Im wondering will Microsoft be offering free ISO downloads alongside these free updates if people wish to do a fresh install.
alanbjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2015, 21:58   #693
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze
qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze

Yes.
qasdfdsaq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2015, 18:14   #694
alanbjames
R.I.P.

Services: XL Phone, XXXL Gig1 BB SH4 (wired).
alanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these parts

Will OEMs recieve windows 10 before everyone else as has happened in the past?
alanbjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2015, 18:21   #695
Dave42
cf.mega poster

Services: V.I.P 120 tivo and v+
Dave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronze
Dave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanbjames View Post
Will OEMs recieve windows 10 before everyone else as has happened in the past?
looking at the blogs all be on the 29th of July
Dave42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2015, 06:20   #696
Ken W
cf.mega poster

Services: LL Phone, TiVo, M+ VM mobile, BBand 150M tier Superhub, TIVO 500 M+
Ken W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful one

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave42 View Post
Normally OEMs get it early so that their pc are available in the shops from the release date.
Ken W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2015, 13:15   #697
johnhook
Permanently Banned

johnhook has a spectacular aura about themjohnhook has a spectacular aura about themjohnhook has a spectacular aura about themjohnhook has a spectacular aura about them

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken W View Post
Normally OEMs get it early so that their pc are available in the shops from the release date.
Normal has ended. RTM was when the OS was released to the large OEMs to be installed and tested on that hardware, Public release was often after. Windows could always be sourced prior to the retail release easily enough so I never waited
johnhook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2015, 13:56   #698
Ken W
cf.mega poster

Services: LL Phone, TiVo, M+ VM mobile, BBand 150M tier Superhub, TIVO 500 M+
Ken W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful one

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnhook View Post
Normal has ended. RTM was exactly that RTM was when the OS was released to the large OEMs to be installed and tested on that hardware, Public release was often after. Windows could always be sourced prior to the retail release easily enough so I never waited
It has been over 10 years since I was in the computer trade, I guess times have changed.
Ken W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2015, 18:13   #699
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze
qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave42 View Post
Looking at blogs the current expectation is RTM and RTOEM in 3 weeks.
qasdfdsaq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2015, 20:45   #700
Stuart
-

Services: Virgin for TV and Internet, BT for phone
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling

Quote:
Normal has ended. RTM was when the OS was released to the large OEMs to be installed and tested on that hardware, Public release was often after. Windows could always be sourced prior to the retail release easily enough so I never waited
RTM was also the date on which the files (presumably ISOs) got sent the to the disk manufacturers so they could ensure they had an adequate supply of disks ready to go for launch day. Even the largest duplicating factories on the planet need adequate time to run off hundreds of thousands of copies of a disk.

Then there was the time actually required to get these disks to the distribution centres and the shops.

This is why manufacturers often had to release patches to fix bugs almost on the day of release. They had to release the software to manufacturing several weeks early, but still carried on bug fixing.

Now, they can carry on almost until the release time. They might have to upload it a day or two early to allow the content delivery networks used by the various app stores and Windows Update to catch up, but it's still a lot quicker that waiting for someone to run off 100,000 disks.

Of course, they still need to give their OEMS (and other people) time to adequately test it.
Stuart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2015, 09:03   #701
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars
SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars

After the latest updated post from Gabriel Aul it has left me more confused.

It looks like you can continue as an insider after 29/7 and keep getting updated Win 10 builds, so this looks like a way for people without a legit key to keep using Win 10.

My problem is i own a legit Win 8 key and from the post below it looks like i have to downgrade back to Win 8 to get the FREE Win 10 upgrade as staying as an insider i will lose that after 1 year, how does everyone else read it?

Quote:
“I want to continue as a Windows Insider!” If you want to continue as a Windows Insider past 7/29 there is nothing you need to do. You’re already opted in and receiving builds in the Fast or Slow ring depending upon your selection. This is prerelease software and is activated with a prerelease key. Each individual build will expire after a time, but you’ll continue to receive new builds so by the time an older prerelease build expires you’ll have received a new one. Since we’re continuing the Windows Insider Program you’ll be able to continue receiving builds and those builds will continue to be activated under the terms of the Windows Insider Program. We provide ISOs for these builds for recovery from any significant problems, but they are still pre-release software. As part of the program we’ll upgrade Insiders to what is for all intents and purposes the same build as what other customers will get on 7/29, but that will be just another build for Insiders, and those who stay in the program will simply get the next build after as well.

“I want to opt out of the Windows Insider Program on 7/29.” If you decide to opt-out of the program and upgrade to the 7/29 build you will be subject to exactly the same terms and conditions that govern the offer* that was extended to all Genuine Windows 7 and 8.1 customers. This is not a path to attain a license for Windows XP or Windows Vista systems. If your system upgraded from a Genuine Windows 7 or Windows 8.1 license it will remain activated, but if not, you will be required to roll back to your previous OS version or acquire a new Windows 10 license. If you do not roll back or acquire a new license the build will eventually expire.
http://blogs.windows.com/bloggingwin...review-builds/
Old 23-06-2015, 09:24   #702
Stephen
Bah Humbug!!

Services: Sky Q 2Tb, Sky Q mini, boxsets and Sports & Movies HD, Sky Fibre unlimited
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star

You only have to downgrade to your previous OS if you have XP or Vista. Win 7/8/8.1 will stay activated.

Well thats what I get from it.
Old 23-06-2015, 09:26   #703
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars
SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen View Post
You only have to downgrade to your previous OS if you have XP or Vista. Win 7/8/8.1 will stay activated.

Well thats what I get from it.
But if you clean installed Windows 10 preview like lots of insiders it won't know you had a legit copy of 7 or 8? This is where i am confused.

Quote:
If your system upgraded from a Genuine Windows 7 or Windows 8.1 license it will remain activated, but if not, you will be required to roll back to your previous OS version or acquire a new Windows 10 license.
Old 23-06-2015, 11:44   #704
johnhook
Permanently Banned

johnhook has a spectacular aura about themjohnhook has a spectacular aura about themjohnhook has a spectacular aura about themjohnhook has a spectacular aura about them

It is quite simple if you want to continue to test after RTM then you can freely with your clean install

If you no longer want to test you have to have a valid windows key for 7 or 8

I am simply going to continue as an Insider I doubt the rollouts will be that often and past RTM I will switch to slow ring .
johnhook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2015, 11:58   #705
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

Quote:
It is quite simple if you want to continue to test after RTM then you can freely with your clean install

If you no longer want to test you have to have a valid windows key for 7 or 8

I am simply going to continue as an Insider I doubt the rollouts will be that often and past RTM I will switch to slow ring .
Yes i can see that if you want to be a tester just stay in the Preview, but in doing so you will lose your FREE upgrade if you don't claim it in the first year, so what i can see we need to install 7 or 8 again at RTM so we don't lose it? Then we can rejoin the as a tester?