Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | [Update] Windows 10 Discussion

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > General IT Discussion

[Update] Windows 10 Discussion

Old 10-06-2020, 12:15   #2131
iadom
Oh Lanky Lanky.

Services: 2 V6 running 360. 500mb BB, Phone line, mobile simm.
iadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny star
iadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny star
Re: [Update] Windows 10 Discussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by iadom View Post
My PC did update even though it took several hours. It seemed ok at first but the following day everything has slowed to a crawl. Apps either won’t open or take several minutes to open and then constantly freeze.
Had to roll back this update to get everything working again. First time I have to do so on my PC. Did have similar problems with the wife’s laptop about 12 months ago, rolled that back until a later update that worked fine.
iadom is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 10-06-2020, 12:27   #2132
Carth
cf.mega poster

Carth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze array
Carth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze array

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kushan View Post
Show me a single Operating System that doesn't need monthly security updates.

Mine for a start, Win 7 Ultimate (SP1), first thing I do on a fresh install is disable updates.

I guess it depends on how paranoid you are and whether you're susceptible to all the security hype created by those who's job it is to tell you about all the nasty and horrible things they've found, and which their brilliant security software can nullify . . often at a price.

There are also those among us that can't recognise a scam email, dodgy internet link or a spoofed website . . . no amount of security updates will help them

But hey ho, each to his own . . no matter how hard they push you to conform
Carth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2020, 13:24   #2133
Kushan
FORMER Virgin Media Staff

Kushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appeal
Kushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carth View Post
Mine for a start, Win 7 Ultimate (SP1), first thing I do on a fresh install is disable updates.

I guess it depends on how paranoid you are and whether you're susceptible to all the security hype created by those who's job it is to tell you about all the nasty and horrible things they've found, and which their brilliant security software can nullify . . often at a price.

There are also those among us that can't recognise a scam email, dodgy internet link or a spoofed website . . . no amount of security updates will help them

But hey ho, each to his own . . no matter how hard they push you to conform
And yet, it's not snake oil salesmen telling you to patch your systems, it's Microsoft themselves. Who aren't profiting or making money from those monthly patches.

I don't even know why you bothered to install the Service Pack, if updates are such a terrible thing.

Given Windows 7 is EOL, the least you could do is one final update so at least you're not years behind with patches.

It's interesting, you're basically saying you wouldn't trust a locksmith because they're trying to sell you a lock to keep your house secure. Why, nobody's robbed you before, so it must be a scam, right?

Right.
Kushan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2020, 13:44   #2134
heero_yuy
Perfect Soldier

Services: VM 500M SH3 thingy in modem mode XL TV V6 Sony Bravia smart TV and M phone
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars

Don't install the last W7 update. It screws up the stretch wall paper function amongst other things.
Old 11-06-2020, 22:48   #2135
progers
Pete

Services: Broadband Up to 100Mb ~ TV Mix & TiVo 1Tb ~ Phone: Talk More Anytime
progers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these parts

Updated to W10 version 2004 this morning, no hitches but took a long time!
progers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2020, 22:58   #2136
roughbeast
cf.mega poster

Services: Vodafone/City Fibre Gigafast 900
roughbeast has reached the bronze age
roughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by progers View Post
Updated to W10 version 2004 this morning, no hitches but took a long time!
Yes I updated all our PCs over the last 48 hours. As you say, all went well, but took ages. However, in some cases certain apps had to be reinstalled afterwards, e.g. Expressvpn and Acronis true image. There may be others that occur when I next try to use them.
roughbeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2020, 23:08   #2137
Kushan

Kushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appeal

No issues doing my update, went smoothly and quickly. I do have Windows on fast nVME SSD's though, so that probably helped.
Old 12-06-2020, 06:53   #2138
Mr K
Woke and proud !

Services: TV, Phone, BB, a wife
Mr K has a nice shiny star
Mr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kushan View Post
No issues doing my update, went smoothly and quickly. I do have Windows on fast nVME SSD's though, so that probably helped.
The problem with Microsoft is that they assume everyone has the latest fastest systems. They should test their updates on old low spec pcs which a lot of people have.
Mr K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2020, 09:24   #2139
Kushan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr K View Post
The problem with Microsoft is that they assume everyone has the latest fastest systems. They should test their updates on old low spec pcs which a lot of people have.
They do test on low spec systems, they even produce low spec systems (Surface GO). Just because it takes time to do doesn't mean it was untested.
Old 27-06-2020, 19:18   #2140
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

I was sent a handy hint today, and thought I would share it with CF’ers - something that enhances screen viewing if you’re colour-blind (I have protanopia/red-dichromacy).

Quote:
Are you colorblind? Is someone you know?

Did you know Windows comes with three color filters you can choose from to help make the colors on your screen more distinct if you're colorblind? The option is under Settings > Ease of Access > Color Filters.

If it’s turned on in Settings, you can also quickly turn your preferred filter on or off with WIN + Ctrl + C.
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Hugh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2020, 18:51   #2141
nashville
nashville

Services: Virgin Media
nashville has a nice shiny star
nashville has a nice shiny starnashville has a nice shiny starnashville has a nice shiny starnashville has a nice shiny starnashville has a nice shiny starnashville has a nice shiny starnashville has a nice shiny starnashville has a nice shiny starnashville has a nice shiny starnashville has a nice shiny starnashville has a nice shiny star

I a. Using Opera search engine and all was well with everything and I like it. All of a sudden You Tube will not work, but it works on Google Chrome etc ,
nashville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2020, 20:02   #2142
Dave42
cf.mega poster

Services: V.I.P 120 tivo and v+
Dave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronze
Dave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by nashville View Post
I a. Using Opera search engine and all was well with everything and I like it. All of a sudden You Tube will not work, but it works on Google Chrome etc ,
check to see if opera is up to date
Dave42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2020, 09:14   #2143
heero_yuy
Perfect Soldier

Services: VM 500M SH3 thingy in modem mode XL TV V6 Sony Bravia smart TV and M phone
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars

Try clearing the cookies associated with Youtube.

I had the Youtube app on the smart TV stop working due to it using out of date cookies when Youtube changed its layout. I had to clear the cookies in the TV browser ( Opera )
Old 29-06-2020, 13:04   #2144
nashville
nashville

Services: Virgin Media
nashville has a nice shiny star
nashville has a nice shiny starnashville has a nice shiny starnashville has a nice shiny starnashville has a nice shiny starnashville has a nice shiny starnashville has a nice shiny starnashville has a nice shiny starnashville has a nice shiny starnashville has a nice shiny starnashville has a nice shiny starnashville has a nice shiny star

Will try this, Is Opera better than Google Chrome or it it just much he same, Does anyone know, ?
nashville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2020, 14:12   #2145
admars
cf.mega poster

admars has reached the bronze age
admars has reached the bronze ageadmars has reached the bronze ageadmars has reached the bronze ageadmars has reached the bronze ageadmars has reached the bronze ageadmars has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by nashville View Post
Will try this, Is Opera better than Google Chrome or it it just much he same, Does anyone know, ?
Depends on your paranoia outlook

WOudl you rather google knew everything about you, or the Chinese Governemt? (A Chinese Co bought Opera a while ago)

Firefox, clear history etc on exit ftw

You could try Brave browser, or Vivaldi broswer, they're all free, use what you like, there's pros and cons of all of them.
admars is online now   Reply With Quote