Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Network Hostname - Details

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service

Asus rt-n56u

Old 19-12-2012, 17:36   #1
fixerman
Inactive

Services: Virgin Media 200mb Superhub 2, Two Tivo V6 1tb, one "Old" Tivo 1tb, home phone, Humax Freesat PVR.
fixerman has much to be proud offixerman has much to be proud offixerman has much to be proud offixerman has much to be proud offixerman has much to be proud offixerman has much to be proud offixerman has much to be proud offixerman has much to be proud offixerman has much to be proud offixerman has much to be proud of
Asus rt-n56u

Up to now I have been reasonably happy with the VM Superhub. I didn't seem to have any of the major problems posted on the forums. However I felt that the wireless performance was deteriorating as the household added more and more wifi kit. Stuttering on HD video streaming and the occasional dropout. At present our wifi kit consists of three Tivos, two Humax PVRs, three Apple TVs, three smartphones, a Macbook Air, two Windows laptops, two Pure Internet radios, two iPads, a Nexus 7 and an Airplay Speaker. As it is coming up to Christmas I decided, based on advice from various forums, to treat myself to an ASUS RT-N56U. Ordered yesterday and delivered this morning from Amazon. Excellent service.

Installation was just about as easy as it could be, especially as I am not the best when it comes to networking. All I did was plug it in and follow the short wizard.I had no need to access the more complex configuration menu. I am blown away by the increase in both speed and range over wifi. Speed-test results over cable and wifi are the highest I have ever experienced and HD video is rock solid. iPlayer is also flawless. Best Christmas present ever, even though it was from myself! LOL
fixerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 19-12-2012, 17:39   #2
MaverickJesus
cf.addict

MaverickJesus has much to be proud ofMaverickJesus has much to be proud ofMaverickJesus has much to be proud ofMaverickJesus has much to be proud ofMaverickJesus has much to be proud ofMaverickJesus has much to be proud ofMaverickJesus has much to be proud ofMaverickJesus has much to be proud ofMaverickJesus has much to be proud ofMaverickJesus has much to be proud of
Re: Asus rt-n56u

Its a fantastic bit of kit if you don't mind paying the premium, with some nice 3rd party firmware support if you want to do the more bespoke network stuff.
MaverickJesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2012, 17:46   #3
thenry
Inactive

thenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny star
thenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny star

Real decent router you got there. Just a question. Amazon has the RT-N56U for £80.99 and the RT-N66U for £108.79. Did you consider the RT-N66U ?
thenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2012, 18:15   #4
fixerman
Inactive

Services: Virgin Media 200mb Superhub 2, Two Tivo V6 1tb, one "Old" Tivo 1tb, home phone, Humax Freesat PVR.
fixerman has much to be proud offixerman has much to be proud offixerman has much to be proud offixerman has much to be proud offixerman has much to be proud offixerman has much to be proud offixerman has much to be proud offixerman has much to be proud offixerman has much to be proud offixerman has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by thenry View Post
Real decent router you got there. Just a question. Amazon has the RT-N56U for £80.99 and the RT-N66U for £108.79. Did you consider the RT-N66U ?
No, I didn't. I'm not clued up enough to appreciate the difference. I am more than happy with the 56.
Old 19-12-2012, 18:39   #5
thenry
Inactive

thenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny star
thenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny star

did you ask on here prior to buying it? you would be happy, its a really good router. the difference is the RT-N66U is an upgrade, added features and has the ability to be toyed with loading ddwrt or tomato plus at the £30 price difference it in my opinion would of been worth buying instead. im not saying your tech connected cannot be handled by the RT-N56U. I'm just saying the RT-N66U is better and would of been the better option.

RT-N56U 3rd party firmware - www.code.google.com/p/rt-n56u/
Old 19-12-2012, 19:03   #6
fixerman
Inactive

Quote:
did you ask on here prior to buying it? you would be happy, its a really good router. the difference is the RT-N66U is an upgrade, added features and has the ability to be toyed with loading ddwrt or tomato plus at the £30 price difference it in my opinion would of been worth buying instead. im not saying your tech connected cannot be handled by the RT-N56U. I'm just saying the RT-N66U is better and would of been the better option.

RT-N56U 3rd party firmware - www.code.google.com/p/rt-n56u/
Thanks for your very interesting input but I have to recognise my own limitations. The prospect of going beyond where I am this evening with my home network frightens the proverbial out of me. I'm 67 and am reaching the stage where tech is just about leaving me behind. Still I do alright. My family rely on me for most tech support, even some of the young ones. Mind you, they tend to benefit from my upgrades.
Old 19-12-2012, 19:08   #7
thenry
Inactive

fair enough. simply put minus the 3rd party firmware, you should have brought the RT-N66U instead. id like to know why you was advised to buy the RT-N56U instead of the RT-N66U. id understand if the price difference was big.
Old 19-12-2012, 19:15   #8
MaverickJesus
cf.addict

MaverickJesus has much to be proud ofMaverickJesus has much to be proud ofMaverickJesus has much to be proud ofMaverickJesus has much to be proud ofMaverickJesus has much to be proud ofMaverickJesus has much to be proud ofMaverickJesus has much to be proud ofMaverickJesus has much to be proud ofMaverickJesus has much to be proud ofMaverickJesus has much to be proud of

Thats a completely redundant argument, there are much better options than the N66U as well.
MaverickJesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2012, 19:19   #9
thenry
Inactive

????
Old 19-12-2012, 21:49   #10
ferretuk
Inactive

Services: Plusnet Unlimited FTTC
ferretuk has a very nice sixpackferretuk has a very nice sixpackferretuk has a very nice sixpackferretuk has a very nice sixpackferretuk has a very nice sixpackferretuk has a very nice sixpackferretuk has a very nice sixpackferretuk has a very nice sixpackferretuk has a very nice sixpackferretuk has a very nice sixpackferretuk has a very nice sixpackferretuk has a very nice sixpackferretuk has a very nice sixpackferretuk has a very nice sixpackferretuk has a very nice sixpackferretuk has a very nice sixpack

Quote:
id like to know why you was advised to buy the RT-N56U
Quote:
Originally Posted by thenry
did you ask on here prior to buying it?
How dare you! What business is it of yours which router anyone buys?

The OP is, and was, free to buy any equipment he likes and just because £30 isn't much of a difference to you doesn't mean that a 34% price premium for features not needed is justifiable to all.

The OP has explained he has straightforward 'normal' networking requirements and is unlikely to use all the bells and whistles on the n56 so why incorrectly advise spending more money for more bells and whistles on the n66? Equally, the standard firmware will serve the needs of 99% of users - Not everyone is interested in DD-WRT/Tomato etc!!

Advise - Yes, but keep it relevant. Not once have you either asked what the requirements are...
Suggest that all purchases should be ratified by the 'Cableforum router purchasing advisory committee' - No!!

Simply put - The OP has bought an excellent piece of hardware that he's very happy with. Leave him alone!
ferretuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2012, 22:12   #11
thenry
Inactive

how dare I? oh shut up. read and notice whats in bold..!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fixerman View Post
Up to now I have been reasonably happy with the VM Superhub. I didn't seem to have any of the major problems posted on the forums. However I felt that the wireless performance was deteriorating as the household added more and more wifi kit. Stuttering on HD video streaming and the occasional dropout. At present our wifi kit consists of three Tivos, two Humax PVRs, three Apple TVs, three smartphones, a Macbook Air, two Windows laptops, two Pure Internet radios, two iPads, a Nexus 7 and an Airplay Speaker. As it is coming up to Christmas I decided, based on advice from various forums, to treat myself to an ASUS RT-N56U. Ordered yesterday and delivered this morning from Amazon. Excellent service.

Installation was just about as easy as it could be, especially as I am not the best when it comes to networking. All I did was plug it in and follow the short wizard.I had no need to access the more complex configuration menu. I am blown away by the increase in both speed and range over wifi. Speed-test results over cable and wifi are the highest I have ever experienced and HD video is rock solid. iPlayer is also flawless. Best Christmas present ever, even though it was from myself! LOL
Quote:
No, I didn't. I'm not clued up enough to appreciate the difference. I am more than happy with the 56.
Quote:
Thanks for your very interesting input but I have to recognise my own limitations. The prospect of going beyond where I am this evening with my home network frightens the proverbial out of me. I'm 67 and am reaching the stage where tech is just about leaving me behind. Still I do alright. My family rely on me for most tech support, even some of the young ones. Mind you, they tend to benefit from my upgrades.
I'm not in any way shape or form disrespecting the OP! I'm actually going out my way to put across a valid point helping the OP. The OPs been advised to buy a router that costs a little less than the product one up from it. the RT-N66U holds more value being versatile and having extra features!

fixerman if youve taken what ive said offensively then im sorry. its just annoying that someone or some people advise a product but fail to point out its big brother doesnt cost much more and is better.
Old 19-12-2012, 22:14   #12
Sephiroth
Sulking in the Corner

Services: 1 Gbps; Hub 4 MM; ASUS RT-AX88U; Ultimate VOLT. BT Infinity2; Devolo 1200AV
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star

Quote:
fair enough. simply put minus the 3rd party firmware, you should have brought the RT-N66U instead. id like to know why you was advised to buy the RT-N56U instead of the RT-N66U. id understand if the price difference was big.
I think you're being intrusive here, TH.

The Ferret's right, I'm afraid.

My advice is at your risk.
Sephiroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2012, 22:17   #13
thenry
Inactive

intrusive? yeah ok. just like all 'those' cloners hey
Old 19-12-2012, 23:22   #14
Gavin78
Ice Cold

Services: XL TV M Phone 200MB BB
Gavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these parts

I have the N56U can't say I have ever come across any problems and as the OP says the WIFI is fantastic on it.

There are a ton of stuff built into the router even I don't understand and you'll find that a lot of Reviews recommend the router...I've read the reviews myself on both before I went and bought the N56U and a lot didn't rave that much about the 66 other than it has a lot better range than the N56U (software differences) are not that much different.
Gavin78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2012, 23:38   #15
Sephiroth
Sulking in the Corner

Services: 1 Gbps; Hub 4 MM; ASUS RT-AX88U; Ultimate VOLT. BT Infinity2; Devolo 1200AV
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star

Me too. No need for the 66. It's a lot more expensive then the 56.

My advice is at your risk.
Sephiroth is offline   Reply With Quote