Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Unlocking Mobiles Charge

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin & O2 Mobile Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Unlocking Mobiles Charge

Old 16-10-2008, 16:38   #1
FairyFairy
Inactive

Services: Virgin Media Tv V+/Broadband/Phone
FairyFairy is a glorious beacon of lightFairyFairy is a glorious beacon of lightFairyFairy is a glorious beacon of lightFairyFairy is a glorious beacon of lightFairyFairy is a glorious beacon of lightFairyFairy is a glorious beacon of lightFairyFairy is a glorious beacon of light
Unlocking Mobiles Charge

I thought the £15 charge for unlocking mobiles was a bit steep.

I fancied being unlocked rather than locked onto a provider .... never mind that I just put some more credit on my phone - so obviously going to use them a while longer!!!
FairyFairy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 16-10-2008, 16:42   #2
kpanchev
Inactive

Services: BB L package
kpanchev will become famous soon enoughkpanchev will become famous soon enoughkpanchev will become famous soon enough
Re: Unlocking Mobiles Charge

And what was the point of your post again????
kpanchev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2008, 16:57   #3
FairyFairy
Inactive

FairyFairy is a glorious beacon of lightFairyFairy is a glorious beacon of lightFairyFairy is a glorious beacon of lightFairyFairy is a glorious beacon of lightFairyFairy is a glorious beacon of lightFairyFairy is a glorious beacon of lightFairyFairy is a glorious beacon of light

I see where you are coming from!

I would honestly prefer to be free (unlocked) and thought £15 was on the high side !!
Old 16-10-2008, 17:28   #4
on in an hour!
Inactive

Location: looking at a nice new scar in the tarmac outside my house!
Services: staff deal
on in an hour! has reached the bronze age
on in an hour! has reached the bronze ageon in an hour! has reached the bronze ageon in an hour! has reached the bronze ageon in an hour! has reached the bronze ageon in an hour! has reached the bronze ageon in an hour! has reached the bronze ageon in an hour! has reached the bronze ageon in an hour! has reached the bronze ageon in an hour! has reached the bronze ageon in an hour! has reached the bronze ageon in an hour! has reached the bronze ageon in an hour! has reached the bronze ageon in an hour! has reached the bronze ageon in an hour! has reached the bronze ageon in an hour! has reached the bronze ageon in an hour! has reached the bronze ageon in an hour! has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by FairyFairy View Post

I see where you are coming from!

I would honestly prefer to be free (unlocked) and thought £15 was on the high side !!
if the phone is on contract,your provider has to give you the unlock code after 12 months Vodafone mailed me mine after i phoned to request it.
on in an hour! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2008, 17:29   #5
djmagnifique
cf.geek

Services: XL tv with 2x V6 boxes, M phone, 350Mb broadband
djmagnifique has a reputation beyond reputedjmagnifique has a reputation beyond reputedjmagnifique has a reputation beyond reputedjmagnifique has a reputation beyond reputedjmagnifique has a reputation beyond reputedjmagnifique has a reputation beyond reputedjmagnifique has a reputation beyond reputedjmagnifique has a reputation beyond reputedjmagnifique has a reputation beyond reputedjmagnifique has a reputation beyond reputedjmagnifique has a reputation beyond reputedjmagnifique has a reputation beyond reputedjmagnifique has a reputation beyond repute

£15 is a fair price, some providers have charged upwards of £30-£40 in the past.

You could take your phone to a local mobile repair shop and they might be able to do it for you for cheaper (I paid £10 to get mine unlocked so I could switch to virgin)
djmagnifique is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2008, 17:37   #6
Nikesh
Inactive

Nikesh has reached the bronze age
Nikesh has reached the bronze ageNikesh has reached the bronze ageNikesh has reached the bronze ageNikesh has reached the bronze ageNikesh has reached the bronze ageNikesh has reached the bronze ageNikesh has reached the bronze ageNikesh has reached the bronze ageNikesh has reached the bronze ageNikesh has reached the bronze ageNikesh has reached the bronze ageNikesh has reached the bronze ageNikesh has reached the bronze age

I got mine unlocked for £10 as well just from a small mobile phone shop.
Nikesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2008, 17:39   #7
FairyFairy
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by on in an hour! View Post
if the phone is on contract,your provider has to give you the unlock code after 12 months Vodafone mailed me mine after i phoned to request it.

Its not on contract - I'm on PAYG and had this phone for 4 years and another phone for another fairish stretch with Virgin!

Old 16-10-2008, 17:54   #8
on in an hour!
Inactive

on in an hour! has reached the bronze ageon in an hour! has reached the bronze ageon in an hour! has reached the bronze ageon in an hour! has reached the bronze ageon in an hour! has reached the bronze ageon in an hour! has reached the bronze ageon in an hour! has reached the bronze ageon in an hour! has reached the bronze ageon in an hour! has reached the bronze ageon in an hour! has reached the bronze ageon in an hour! has reached the bronze ageon in an hour! has reached the bronze ageon in an hour! has reached the bronze ageon in an hour! has reached the bronze ageon in an hour! has reached the bronze ageon in an hour! has reached the bronze ageon in an hour! has reached the bronze age

Quote:

Its not on contract - I'm on PAYG and had this phone for 4 years and another phone for another fairish stretch with Virgin!

oh right,but as said above £10 is about the norm,maybe dearer for new phones but as yours is 4yrs old it should be cheap.
Old 16-10-2008, 18:31   #9
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars

The phone Virgin sent me wasn't locked in the first place
Old 16-10-2008, 18:34   #10
on in an hour!
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenMcr View Post
mine bloody was...a cheapo samsung e250!! it nearly cost me as much to get it unlocked as it did to buy the f****n thing
Old 16-10-2008, 18:36   #11
Paul
Dr Pepper Addict
Cable Forum Team

Services: Flextel SIP : Sky Mobile : Sky Q TV : VM BB (1000 Mbps) : Aquiss FTTP (330 Mbps)
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars

I just bought my last PAYG phone off ebay, already unlocked.

Baby, I was born this way.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2008, 19:11   #12
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by on in an hour! View Post
mine bloody was...a cheapo samsung e250!! it nearly cost me as much to get it unlocked as it did to buy the f****n thing
See there is ya problem lol.

I got a N73 and it had no Virgin branding on it whatsoever, and was a lot cheaper than a SIM free version
Old 16-10-2008, 20:41   #13
FairyFairy
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenMcr View Post

Hells Bells

I better check!!!!

I've got an old sim from another company --- I presume I just stick it in

---------- Post added at 20:21 ---------- Previous post was at 20:20 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul M View Post
I just bought my last PAYG phone off ebay, already unlocked.
I have been trawling through the pages looking

---------- Post added at 20:41 ---------- Previous post was at 20:21 ----------

Old 16-10-2008, 22:50   #14
djmagnifique
cf.geek

Services: XL tv with 2x V6 boxes, M phone, 350Mb broadband
djmagnifique has a reputation beyond reputedjmagnifique has a reputation beyond reputedjmagnifique has a reputation beyond reputedjmagnifique has a reputation beyond reputedjmagnifique has a reputation beyond reputedjmagnifique has a reputation beyond reputedjmagnifique has a reputation beyond reputedjmagnifique has a reputation beyond reputedjmagnifique has a reputation beyond reputedjmagnifique has a reputation beyond reputedjmagnifique has a reputation beyond reputedjmagnifique has a reputation beyond reputedjmagnifique has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

I've got an old sim from another company --- I presume I just stick it in
If its a sim that you have had for a while it might be deactivated and not actually show you if the phone is unlocked or not, better off trying a friends sim card to see if the phone is unlocked.

What type of phone is it your wanting to unlock?
djmagnifique is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2008, 23:17   #15
AntiSilence
Inactive

Services: C#/ASP.NET Web Development
AntiSilence is cast in bronzeAntiSilence is cast in bronzeAntiSilence is cast in bronzeAntiSilence is cast in bronze
AntiSilence is cast in bronzeAntiSilence is cast in bronzeAntiSilence is cast in bronzeAntiSilence is cast in bronzeAntiSilence is cast in bronzeAntiSilence is cast in bronzeAntiSilence is cast in bronzeAntiSilence is cast in bronzeAntiSilence is cast in bronzeAntiSilence is cast in bronzeAntiSilence is cast in bronzeAntiSilence is cast in bronze

I paid £6 at the local market to have a Samsung E250 unlocked from Virgin.
AntiSilence is offline   Reply With Quote