Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Coronavirus

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Current Affairs
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Coronavirus
View Poll Results: When you become eligible for the Covid Vaccine, would you take it?
Yes 76 84.44%
No 8 8.89%
Unsure 6 6.67%
Voters: 90. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 24-02-2021, 13:29   #3826
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze
1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze
Re: Coronavirus

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfman View Post
Well they've had enough of experts.

Interesting about the SNP too. Perhaps indicative of the value of good public messaging daily from the First Minister or the extent that other voters in Scotland would boycott it just to spite her.
Interesting to see Liberal Democrat voters keen to be vaccinated too. As an endangered species, they should be up there on the priority list.

I take this report as a message for all of us to encourage anyone wavering about having a vaccination to go ahead and do it. I don't think anyone on this forum needs encouraging but some of us may know someone who does.

---------- Post added at 13:29 ---------- Previous post was at 12:57 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sephiroth View Post
What a stupid survey. It's right up Andrew's street and that pains me even more.
It's important that the government targets its messaging on vaccinations to ensure as many people as possible are vaccinated. Research like this from a credible insitution like Oxford University is beneficial here.
Advertisement
Old 24-02-2021, 13:33   #3827
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

Quote:
What a stupid survey. It's right up Andrew's street and that pains me even more.
Why is it a "stupid survey"?

The findings will help them focus appropriate efforts on those not keen on the vaccinations, rather than a "one size fits all" approach.

Here’s the actual Oxford press release - interesting reading.

https://www.ox.ac.uk/news/2021-02-24...e-oxford-study

The full report - https://rpubs.com/benwansell/729135
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Old 24-02-2021, 13:43   #3828
pip08456
Sad Doig Fan!

Services: With VM for BB 250Mb service.(Deal)
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1andrew1 View Post
Interesting to see Liberal Democrat voters keen to be vaccinated too. As an endangered species, they should be up there on the priority list.

I take this report as a message for all of us to encourage anyone wavering about having a vaccination to go ahead and do it. I don't think anyone on this forum needs encouraging but some of us may know someone who does.

It's important that the government targets its messaging on vaccinations to ensure as many people as possible are vaccinated. Research like this from a credible insitution like Oxford University is beneficial here.
There's at least 11.
Old 24-02-2021, 14:17   #3829
Pierre
The Dark Satanic Mills

Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars
Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Survey from the university behind one of the vaccines, Oxford University.

https://www.lbc.co.uk/news/covid-vac...rd-university/
study of only 1200 people and no link to the study in the article, I would suggest bollocks, especially when using % on such small sample sizes. 1no. SNP supporter asked = 100% either way etc.

---------- Post added at 14:17 ---------- Previous post was at 14:03 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh View Post
Why is it a "stupid survey"?

The findings will help them focus appropriate efforts on those not keen on the vaccinations, rather than a "one size fits all" approach.

Here’s the actual Oxford press release - interesting reading.

https://www.ox.ac.uk/news/2021-02-24...e-oxford-study

The full report - https://rpubs.com/benwansell/729135
Ok thanks for that.

So the conclusions on how a Brexit party voter and SNP voter will view the vaccine is based on a sample size of 25 people and 48 people respectively........

1,855,175 people voted SNP at the last election and 951,372 voted Brexit Party

So it's a representative sample of 0.0025% for both, I wouldn't use it for my lottery numbers.
Old 24-02-2021, 14:25   #3830
downquark1
cf.mega poster

Services: Plusnet FFTC
downquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appeal
downquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre View Post
study of only 1200 people and no link to the study in the article, I would suggest bollocks, especially when using % on such small sample sizes. 1no. SNP supporter asked = 100% either way etc.

Ok thanks for that.

So the conclusions on how a Brexit party voter and SNP voter will view the vaccine is based on a sample size of 25 people and 48 people respectively........

So it's a representative sample of 0.0025% for both, I wouldn't use it for my lottery numbers.
I would believe it is true, but I would say it proves little beyond the people who the establishment is hostile to are, in turn, hostile to the establishment.*

*a grammar expert is welcome to improve that sentence.
Old 24-02-2021, 15:57   #3831
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre View Post

Ok thanks for that.

https://opentextbc.ca/researchmethod...cting-surveys/
Quote:
Sample Size and Population Size
Why is a sample of 1,000 considered to be adequate for most survey research—even when the population is much larger than that? Consider, for example, that a sample of only 1,000 registered voters is generally considered a good sample of the roughly 25 million registered voters in the Canadian population—even though it includes only about 0.00004% of the population! The answer is a bit surprising.

One part of the answer is that a statistic based on a larger sample will tend to be closer to the population value and that this can be characterized mathematically. Imagine, for example, that in a sample of registered voters, exactly 50% say they intend to vote for the incumbent. If there are 100 voters in this sample, then there is a 95% chance that the true percentage in the population is between 40 and 60. But if there are 1,000 voters in the sample, then there is a 95% chance that the true percentage in the population is between 47 and 53. Although this “95% confidence interval” continues to shrink as the sample size increases, it does so at a slower rate. For example, if there are 2,000 voters in the sample, then this reduction only reduces the 95% confidence interval to 48 to 52. In many situations, the small increase in confidence beyond a sample size of 1,000 is not considered to be worth the additional time, effort, and money.

Another part of the answer—and perhaps the more surprising part—is that confidence intervals depend only on the size of the sample and not on the size of the population. So a sample of 1,000 would produce a 95% confidence interval of 47 to 53 regardless of whether the population size was a hundred thousand, a million, or a hundred million.
Old 24-02-2021, 15:59   #3832
Sephiroth
Sulking in the Corner

Services: 1 Gbps; Hub 4 MM; ASUS RT-AX88U; Ultimate VOLT. BT Infinity2; Devolo 1200AV
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star

Quote:

What? "Leavers" vs "Remainers"? How would they target that? Ridiculous.

My advice is at your risk.
Old 24-02-2021, 16:00   #3833
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Quote:
Easily - micro-targetting is how things like Facebook work.
Old 24-02-2021, 16:05   #3834
Sephiroth
Sulking in the Corner

Services: 1 Gbps; Hub 4 MM; ASUS RT-AX88U; Ultimate VOLT. BT Infinity2; Devolo 1200AV
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh View Post
Easily - micro-targetting is how things like Facebook work.
Seems like a GDPR violation to me at first glance.

My advice is at your risk.
Old 24-02-2021, 16:34   #3835
spiderplant
cf.mega poster

spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars
spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars

Indeed.

Think of it this way.... If you tossed a coin 48 times and got 48 heads, would you say "well yeah, that's just chance", or would you suspect the coin was biased? That's basically the SNP result.
Old 24-02-2021, 16:40   #3836
Damien
Remoaner
Cable Forum Team

Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling
Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling

Quote:
Seems like a GDPR violation to me at first glance.
It wouldn't be because it's not specific.

If you had data suggesting that 35-45-year-old men who like Tennis, dislike Ant and Dec and live in Swindon are the prime problem group for getting vaccinated then you would target that demographic with ads that seek to alleviate their concerns.

It's not a case of finding out Jack from No 49 hasn't been vaccinated and getting up a billboard outside his house.
Old 24-02-2021, 16:44   #3837
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze
1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze

More good news globally on the vaccine front with a third vaccine approved in the US. The Oxford-AstraZeneca vaccine has still to be approved by the FDA.
Quote:
Johnson & Johnson is safe, FDA says, as third US Covid vaccine passes major hurdle

The Food and Drug Administration (FDA) has endorsed the Johnson & Johnson Covid-19 vaccine to receive emergency use authorisation, a critical step to bring a third Covid-19 jab to the United States.

In a staff report released on Wednesday, the federal agency found the vaccine to be safe, effective, and able to completely prevent hospitalisations and deaths when reviewing data from a large clinical trial.

A FDA independent advisory committee would now hold an all-day meeting on Friday to review the clinical data and make a determination on if the vaccine should receive emergency authorisation or not. This means the Johnson & Johnson vaccine could receive authorisation as early as Friday evening or Saturday depending on the panel’s response to the data.

Two vaccines have already received emergency use authorisation from the FDA: Pfizer and Moderna. But both of those vaccines require two doses to achieve an efficacy of about 94 per cent against the novel virus.
The Johnson & Johnson differed as it was a single-dose vaccine.
https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/world...le/ar-BB1dYqmE
Old 24-02-2021, 16:47   #3838
jonbxx
cf.mega poster

Services: VM VIP Pack
jonbxx has a bronzed appealjonbxx has a bronzed appeal
jonbxx has a bronzed appealjonbxx has a bronzed appealjonbxx has a bronzed appealjonbxx has a bronzed appealjonbxx has a bronzed appealjonbxx has a bronzed appealjonbxx has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Surprisingly easily to be honest! If you go to somewhere like Google News - https://news.google.com/ and click on 'For you', you get news tailored to your interests and search history. I get a worrying large number of Daily Mail and Express links there to be honest but that's because I like to look 'below the line' at those sites.

These types of surveys are really helpful for groups like SPI-B in developing a rationally targetted health campaign. No point in putting effort is selling to someone who is already buying...
Old 24-02-2021, 16:56   #3839
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze

If there's one thing the Government doesn't lack it's behavioural scientists.

Epidemiologists on the other (clean) hand...
Old 24-02-2021, 17:10   #3840
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by pip08456 View Post
There's at least 11.
Thanks, that's disappointing.

Let's hope Paul's new thread acts as encouragement.
Closed Thread