Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Best way to reset

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

What router to buy

Old 18-08-2020, 22:15   #1
tanny
cf.addict

Services: Sky Digital Virgin Media 500Mb.
tanny is on a distinguished roadtanny is on a distinguished road
What router to buy

I am thinking of getting either one of these routers any advice on which one i should go for?
  • Asus RT-AX92U 2-Pack AX6100 WIFI 6 Tri-Band Whole Home Mesh WiFi
  • Asus GT-AX11000 Republic Of Gamers WiFi 6 Tri-Band Wireless AI Mesh Gigabit Gaming Router
or even
  • Asus GT-AC5300 Tri-Band Republic Of Gamers AI Mesh Gigabit Router

Thanks in advance.
tanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 18-08-2020, 22:20   #2
pip08456
Sad Doig Fan!

Services: With VM for BB 250Mb service.(Deal)
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star
Re: What router to buy

I'm sure General Maximus will be along to advise.
pip08456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2020, 22:53   #3
Martin_D
cf.geek

Services: YouFibre | Lebara Sim x 2| Plex
Martin_D is a splendid one to beholdMartin_D is a splendid one to beholdMartin_D is a splendid one to beholdMartin_D is a splendid one to beholdMartin_D is a splendid one to beholdMartin_D is a splendid one to beholdMartin_D is a splendid one to beholdMartin_D is a splendid one to beholdMartin_D is a splendid one to behold

We have the Asus AX88U it’s a fantastic router plus we are using Asuswrt-Merlin it works amazing

https://www.asus.com/Networking/RT-AX88U/

https://www.asuswrt-merlin.net/about

Last edited by Martin_D; 18-08-2020 at 22:58.
Martin_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2020, 23:56   #4
alanbjames
R.I.P.

Services: XL Phone, XXXL Gig1 BB SH4 (wired).
alanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these parts

I have the Asus RT-AC86U and its a great little router for my needs.
alanbjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2020, 12:40   #5
roughbeast
cf.mega poster

Services: Vodafone/City Fibre Gigafast 900
roughbeast has reached the bronze age
roughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze age

I have an Asus GT-AX11000 . If you acquire that you probably won't need an imesh arrangement unless you are in a large house.

Good points: Excellent WiFi range and a WAN to LAN throughput over 1GBs allowing you to take advantage of a 1Gb service. (Not many routers have this.) There are also some nifty devices and labour savers for gamers.

Bad Points: QoS is a waste of time if your connection is 500Mb or above. It pegs my 1Gb service to only 450Mb. Expensive. Most of the gamer devices can be done without if you are prepared to research your own server ports and IPs.
roughbeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2020, 13:49   #6
Hom3r
Mum 15/08/46 - 30/09/20

Location: Galactic Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha, www.daves-world.co.uk. A secret Moonbase (shh don't tell anybody)
Services: 1 V6, 2x1TB TiVo, SH3. Samsung Galaxy Note 10+ 5G, Ton's of Smart Home stuff, & Cuddy Toy
Hom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny stars
Hom3r has a pair of shiny stars

I'm very happy with my Netgear Nighthawk X6 (R8000)

I even have the app to remote control it.
Old 19-08-2020, 14:06   #7
tweetiepooh
Virgin Media Employee

Services: Staff MyRates BB: VM XXL TV: VM XL Phone : VM XL
tweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appeal
tweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appeal

I have the Netgear R7000 and that too works fine. I use a TPlink N600 as an access point in back of the house and for LAN ports in office.

What I'd love to be able to do is to VLAN the WiFi guest network to the back router so better signal in back garden for guests but still keep them away from my own stuff.
Old 19-08-2020, 15:24   #8
General Maximus
Ran Away

Services: phone + 1gbit BB + SkyQ
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanny View Post
I am thinking of getting either one of these routers any advice on which one i should go for?
  • Asus RT-AX92U 2-Pack AX6100 WIFI 6 Tri-Band Whole Home Mesh WiFi
  • Asus GT-AX11000 Republic Of Gamers WiFi 6 Tri-Band Wireless AI Mesh Gigabit Gaming Router
or even
  • Asus GT-AC5300 Tri-Band Republic Of Gamers AI Mesh Gigabit Router

Thanks in advance.
You need to assess your needs and why you are looking at high spec routers such as those. Have you got a tonne of ac or ax wifi devices which would benefit from the wifi performance on those routers? Do you need a 2.5gbit port? Would something like an ac68u or 86u suffice. All very good routers but do you really need to splash the cash? (especially when one of them is nearly twice the price of the other two)
General Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2020, 20:13   #9
ozsat
cf.mega poster

Services: 1.2Gb/100Mb, VMTV (UHD), Freesat HD, Freeview HD, SkyQ (UHD), BTtv (UHD), DAB+
ozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful one

I use the same with no issues. I did try QoS on this and it seemed to kill my speed too (like the Asus above).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hom3r View Post
I'm very happy with my Netgear Nighthawk X6 (R8000)

I even have the app to remote control it.
ozsat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2020, 22:20   #10
tanny
cf.addict

Services: Sky Digital Virgin Media 500Mb.
tanny is on a distinguished roadtanny is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Maximus View Post
You need to assess your needs and why you are looking at high spec routers such as those. Have you got a tonne of ac or ax wifi devices which would benefit from the wifi performance on those routers? Do you need a 2.5gbit port? Would something like an ac68u or 86u suffice. All very good routers but do you really need to splash the cash? (especially when one of them is nearly twice the price of the other two)
I currently have Asus RT-AC87U which i have owned for over 3 years. I have a big house 5 bedrooms and now all my kids have loads of wireless devices e.g smart phones, Smart TV's, Tablets and Gaming console. I'm also in the process in upgrading my BB speed to 1G and i thought it was time for a new router.

I have some deadspot in my big house but overall happy with the router just wanted a change.
tanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2020, 06:23   #11
roughbeast
cf.mega poster

Services: Vodafone/City Fibre Gigafast 900
roughbeast has reached the bronze age
roughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanny View Post
I currently have Asus RT-AC87U which i have owned for over 3 years. I have a big house 5 bedrooms and now all my kids have loads of wireless devices e.g smart phones, Smart TV's, Tablets and Gaming console. I'm also in the process in upgrading my BB speed to 1G and i thought it was time for a new router.

I have some deadspot in my big house but overall happy with the router just wanted a change.
If you are planning on a 1Gb service then you really do need to upgrade to a router that has a WAN to LAN throughput very close to 1Gb. The Asus GT-AX11000 does this. My previous router an ASUS RT-AC88U, although a fantastic piece of kit, could manage little more than 600Mb downstream. (tested when connected by ethernet) . My AX11000 peaks at 948Mb downstream, which is very acceptable given that the SH4 only has 1GB ethernet ports.

You can check out other routers that have WAN to LAN throughput >900Mb here. https://www.smallnetbuilder.com/old-.../74-wan-to-lan SNB don't seem to have included the AX11000 in their chart. Perhaps they haven't tested it yet.

This morning's speed test.

Last edited by Hugh; 20-08-2020 at 21:14.
roughbeast is offline   Reply With Quote