Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | belkin USB a worry

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

belkin USB a worry

Old 26-10-2006, 09:42   #1
Itshim
Do I care what you think

Services: V6 ,Virgin L. Phone Broadband.sky go Netflix
Itshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appeal
Itshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appeal
belkin USB a worry

Hi

Having the NTL engineer calling this sat. Understand that a modem goes in the STB. And I will need a router to send it PC.In an other room All the info I can see talks of conecting to the PC & sending else were from it. Can the router be plugged into the modem at stb and send signal to the PC. If so what is configered. & how?
Itshim is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 26-10-2006, 09:45   #2
zing_deleted

Re: belkin USB a worry

wireless modem? why belkin usb? you could connect with a trailing cable and not need a router.Are you having a modem? or is your stb going to provide the net? the answer to your question is yes but need more info
Old 26-10-2006, 10:27   #3
Itshim
Do I care what you think

Itshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appeal

As I understand the stb will have a modem fitted to the back. & I will need to send from it to the PC . Hence the router unless NTL will wire it up ? its alot of cable & the wife aint to happy about that idea,anyway. If they will its all in the box & can go back ( have 14 days)
Old 26-10-2006, 10:44   #4
zing_deleted

the stb doubles as a modem and will need to be registered. Do you have a router already? It can all be done wirelessly as long as wifi is on by default on the router otherwise you can wire the router to you pc switch wifi on before you plug the stb into it. Then you can use the instructions to set up security on the router then reconnect with said security and register your net connection Incidentially you will need an active wifi connection on your pc either an internal card or a usb adapter(is this where the title comes from?)
Sounds complicated but it isnt
Old 26-10-2006, 11:03   #5
Itshim
Do I care what you think

How did you guess !!

Have the kit ( both parts)so the best thing to do ? is show the eng when he comes and creep!!
Old 26-10-2006, 11:40   #6
handyman
Permanently Banned

Services: M6 Keele
handyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny star
handyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny star
Send a message via MSN to handyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itshim View Post
How did you guess !!

Have the kit ( both parts)so the best thing to do ? is show the eng when he comes and creep!!
The Engineer will most likely not set up the router for you.

We can help but we would need some more information.

1. Which town are you in (ntl use 2 different systems across the UK)

2. Location of your equipment after install. If you get a cable modem fitted it will be a tiny blue box and should be located next to your computer. If its stb they will run a cable from the stb to your pc (it already has the modem inside).

If its stb or modem but you want to have all of the equipment together then your can connect with an Ethernet cable from the stb or modem to the router then wirelessly to your pc in a different room.

There are more than enough people on here that can walk you through setting up your connection regardless of your computer skill level.
handyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2006, 13:35   #7
Itshim
Do I care what you think

1) Cardiff

2) STB in lounge PC in hall

I guess if they will run the cable its not a problem

Or if they will put it by the PC them thats also fine

I was given to understand that it comes from the stb & has about a mtr of cable. Hence my worry.

Problem 2 & why I ask is I DONT have any BB at home - this is from the office!
Old 26-10-2006, 15:46   #8
Tech_Boy
Inactive

Services: Inhumations, for the right price
Tech_Boy has a very nice sixpackTech_Boy has a very nice sixpackTech_Boy has a very nice sixpackTech_Boy has a very nice sixpackTech_Boy has a very nice sixpackTech_Boy has a very nice sixpackTech_Boy has a very nice sixpackTech_Boy has a very nice sixpackTech_Boy has a very nice sixpackTech_Boy has a very nice sixpackTech_Boy has a very nice sixpackTech_Boy has a very nice sixpackTech_Boy has a very nice sixpackTech_Boy has a very nice sixpackTech_Boy has a very nice sixpackTech_Boy has a very nice sixpack

Ok, in Cardiff, you will definately have a cablemodem.
the engineer MUST run a coaxial cable from wherever the splitter is installed (wether in the box on the front of the house or behind the stb) to next to the pc. The modem should then be installed by the pc, any engineer who refuses is just being lazy.

te easiest way to set it up then is just follow the disk with the modem connected direct to the pc with the ethernet cable.

once it is fully up & runnig if you want to use the router to share the connection, just turn the power off to the modem, plug the ethernet cable from the modem to the router.
then turn the power back on to the modem, wait for the last 2 lights to lock solid, then power on the router.

then connect either via a second ethernet cable to the pc & turn on, or install the usb device on the pc & that's that.

hope that helps
Tech_Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2006, 08:56   #9
Itshim
Do I care what you think

Thanks for this customer service told me that he would "put modem behind stb & it was up to me to get it to PC " seemed strange but I was silly enough to think they would know. With tv /phone I have never had anything but great help from them so I took him at his word.!
Old 27-10-2006, 09:43   #10
handyman
Permanently Banned

handyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny star
handyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Thanks for this customer service told me that he would "put modem behind stb & it was up to me to get it to PC " seemed strange but I was silly enough to think they would know. With tv /phone I have never had anything but great help from them so I took him at his word.!
That's hald the problem with customer bloody service sometimes if they don't know they guess.

1st day on the job at ntl faults had me out in the field with the techs watching what they did and finding out how equip was installed in homes.

If customer service got the same sort of training it would help.
Old 27-10-2006, 10:05   #11
zing_deleted

Seeing as you already have the kit though you need to choose if you want the installer to set the modem up near the pc or if you want to go wireless anyway. Either way you can do it as I said before if wireless is off on your router simply plug it into your pc and browse to router and switch it on.Then when the modem is plugged in you can access the web to register it wirelessly.Its upto you.I think the installer will put the modem where you ask afterall its just white coax its just if you want it
Old 28-10-2006, 17:21   #12
Tech_Boy
Inactive

Services: Inhumations, for the right price
Tech_Boy has a very nice sixpackTech_Boy has a very nice sixpackTech_Boy has a very nice sixpackTech_Boy has a very nice sixpackTech_Boy has a very nice sixpackTech_Boy has a very nice sixpackTech_Boy has a very nice sixpackTech_Boy has a very nice sixpackTech_Boy has a very nice sixpackTech_Boy has a very nice sixpackTech_Boy has a very nice sixpackTech_Boy has a very nice sixpackTech_Boy has a very nice sixpackTech_Boy has a very nice sixpackTech_Boy has a very nice sixpackTech_Boy has a very nice sixpack

Tech Support do not fully support networking, wired or wireless.
so if you are having problems in the future you would need to move the pc to the modem & connect direcly via ethernet / usb to fully troubleshoot the connection, if an engineer was needed for example.

personally I would never use usb for wired or wireless connection as it is far too system resource hungry, drivers can be a nightmare and with the cost of hardware wireless adaptors either Pci or PCMCIA being quite low now (unless you frequent PCworld & other overpriced retailers), makes USB a false economy.

As a fresh install of the BB service, the engineer has to install the modem by your PC, if it was a swap from STB BB to a Modem, well that's a grey area.
Tech_Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2006, 09:43   #13
Itshim
Do I care what you think

Just to up date you. Seems to be in hand- time will tell.

Engineer came & started to put a connection behind the box – with a short lead . As you understand I was not to happy , anyway the PC didn’t like the Belkin new hardware. So asked him to hard wire it. So he went & wouldn`t come back. Guess CS know the staff better than we thought. Any how new one is coming in 2 weeks will wait & see what happens then.
Old 30-10-2006, 09:47   #14
Graham M
-

Services: FreeSat+ Tivo V-Box VM 60MBit
Graham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny stars
Graham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny stars
Send a message via MSN to Graham M Send a message via Yahoo to Graham M

That's absolutely ridiculous.
Graham M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2006, 12:34   #15
handyman
Permanently Banned

Quote:
Just to up date you. Seems to be in hand- time will tell.

Engineer came & started to put a connection behind the box – with a short lead . As you understand I was not to happy , anyway the PC didn’t like the Belkin new hardware. So asked him to hard wire it. So he went & wouldn`t come back. Guess CS know the staff better than we thought. Any how new one is coming in 2 weeks will wait & see what happens then.
Balls to that, if its within 5 days of the install (that used to be the rule) , they should come back and sort it out.

Get back on to cs and state that your install has not been completed and you want an install team leader to come round and sort it out pronto.