Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Networking

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Networking

Old 11-08-2005, 22:17   #1
umerkhan
Inactive

umerkhan is an unknown quantity at this point
Networking

Hi
I am a new member to this forum, I hope i am not dupliating.
I want to connect 2 computers using router, switch and cables.
I am using NTL broadband, please someone guide me how to do it, which Router, switch and cables to use.
Do i have to use both Router and switch, what are they and what is the use of them, I know these words as i tried to discuss it with people online but coundnot find anyone who can help me in this process A to Z.
I tried cross cable but there is some problem with the cable. I want to go for wireless networking.

Hope you people will help me.
Thanks in advance
UK
umerkhan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 11-08-2005, 22:21   #2
MovedGoalPosts
Inactive

MovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny stars
MovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny stars
Re: Networking

to cable forum

There are quite a few guides and articles already written:

For router recommendations:
http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/article.php?a=74

For wireless setup:
http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/article.php?a=39
http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/article.php?a=12
MovedGoalPosts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2005, 22:25   #3
Gareth
cf.mega poster

Gareth has a pair of shiny starsGareth has a pair of shiny starsGareth has a pair of shiny starsGareth has a pair of shiny starsGareth has a pair of shiny starsGareth has a pair of shiny stars
Gareth has a pair of shiny starsGareth has a pair of shiny starsGareth has a pair of shiny starsGareth has a pair of shiny starsGareth has a pair of shiny starsGareth has a pair of shiny stars

If the PCs both have network cards in them already, and all you simply want to do is to connect the two PCs together (eg to copy files from one to the other), then your cheapest option is to get a Cat 5 crossover cable, plug one end in the one PC and the other end in the other PC - no need for a router and definitely no need for a switch.

Assuming you're using Windows, you will need to make sure they are both in the same workgroup, and not on different subnet masks. There's a useful thread about that... will search for it using the Search option on the forum.

by the way
Gareth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2005, 22:28   #4
MovedGoalPosts
Inactive

MovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny stars
MovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny stars

You will not require a switch if you get a router. Indeed a switch is unlikely to work. Think of a switch simply as a junction box. Messages come in from one computer and will go to every other one connected to it.

A router can provide the functions of a switch (most have four wired ports - [sockets]), and also direct messages to and from the modem. Routers can also add functions of allocating IP addresses (the means by which computers can identify themselves on a network), and be a firewall (a defence against nasty intrusions on to your network from the internet).

A cable modem or Set Top Box, can only communicate with one computer at a time. By placing a router between the modem/STB the router is the device seen by the modem/STB and which receives the communications to and from the internet. The individual PCs and possibly games consoles communicate with the router for anything they want from the internet. The router thus channels information to the right destination. A switch, which allows everything to go everywhere, cannot separate the signals and just confuses the STB/modem.
MovedGoalPosts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2005, 22:29   #5
Gareth
cf.mega poster

Here's the post I was thinking about.... http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/sh...ghlight=subnet

All this kinda depends why you want to connect the 2 PCs... file transfer, printer sharing, internet sharing, etc...
Gareth is offline   Reply With Quote