Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Brexit

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Current Affairs
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Brexit
Closed Thread

Old 24-03-2019, 20:40   #541
Damien
Remoaner
Cable Forum Team

Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling
Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling
Re: Brexit (New).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sephiroth View Post
I believe my daughter. And that evidence is better than none.
The idea the EU plays grant money for University places wasn't part of any Remain campaign I've seen. The EU does pay scientific grant money, i.e for research, and that obviously is unlikely to continue for new projects.
Advertisement
Old 24-03-2019, 20:44   #542
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardCoulter View Post
For anyone wondering, this is who invented 'Brexit':

https://news.sky.com/story/brexits-m...cline-11576816
I knew Sky News were bad, but two years...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-37896977
Old 24-03-2019, 20:45   #543
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre View Post
That was my point in the last post Hugh..........you need to move on it’s not about you.

I didn’t “avoid” the topic or discussion or try to not to continue to engage in the discussion. Therefore by the very definition you have posted it was not “ad hominem”

I merely pointed out that you’re out of touch, which you have not countered. Shall we move on?
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Old 24-03-2019, 20:47   #544
Pierre
The Dark Satanic Mills

Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars
Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Petition to revoke Article 50 reaches five million signatures
So a 3rd of the people that voted remain have been arsed to sign an online petition, and this is news!
Old 24-03-2019, 20:49   #545
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

Quote:
I believe my daughter. And that evidence is better than none.
So your evidence is that you believe your daughter, when you previously posted that you had convinced your daughter to agree with you?

Quote:
I've managed to open my daughter's eyes; she reports what her friends (misguidedly) say
OK.....
Old 24-03-2019, 20:52   #546
Sephiroth
Sulking in the Corner

Services: 1 Gbps; Hub 4 MM; ASUS RT-AX88U; Ultimate VOLT. BT Infinity2; Devolo 1200AV
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damien View Post
The idea the EU plays grant money for University places wasn't part of any Remain campaign I've seen. The EU does pay scientific grant money, i.e for research, and that obviously is unlikely to continue for new projects.
Correct. But the voting youth reported by my daughter seem sure that grants (actually it was research grants) would no longer be paid as you mention.

Of course the EU payments will stop, but they were from our money. There's no reason to suppose that the UK government won't be doing the same or pay even more as part of the Brexit dividend.

---------- Post added at 20:52 ---------- Previous post was at 20:50 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh View Post
So your evidence is that you believe your daughter, when you previously posted that you had convinced your daughter to agree with you?

OK.....
It's not difficult to understand. A couple of years ago, I had a long talk with her on a walk in Rutland; it opened her eyes.

Since then and again last week, she has told me what her friends say about why they want to remain in the EU.

My advice is at your risk.
Old 24-03-2019, 20:54   #547
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Perhaps she is telling you what you want to hear - you know, like the Mail and the Express...

on a related note, h/t to @FelicityMorse
Quote:
I am slightly concerned. I know everyone’s doing their best in difficult circumstances but I can’t help thinking that if Michael Gove is being touted as the solution then the problem must be even worse than we thought
Old 24-03-2019, 20:55   #548
Damien
Remoaner
Cable Forum Team

Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling
Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling

Quote:
Of course the EU payments will stop, but they were from our money. There's no reason to suppose that the UK government won't be doing the same or pay even more as part of the Brexit dividend.
Unless leaving the EU has no economic impact to us then there is no Brexit dividend
Old 24-03-2019, 21:13   #549
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Unless leaving the EU has no economic impact to us then there is no Brexit dividend
I guess remainers just find it exceedingly hard to understand that new opportunities will present themselves, relaxation of tariffs will attract trade and that staying in the EU will simply stifle innovartion and bog us down with more complex legislation that people find difficult to understand.

And before there are any rants about chlorinated chicken, if we were to import it, it would be labelled and you wouldn't have to eat it if you were put off by your own propaganda.
Old 24-03-2019, 21:20   #550
Damien
Remoaner
Cable Forum Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
I guess remainers just find it exceedingly hard to understand that new opportunities will present themselves, relaxation of tariffs will attract trade and that staying in the EU will simply stifle innovartion and bog us down with more complex legislation that people find difficult to understand.
Well we'll see won't we? It's going to be a task to actually get good enough trade deals to compensate for the trade and cost lost though no longer being integrated with the European Market, the biggest economic bloc in the world remember, let alone going above it.

There is a lot of buzzword bingo that you can come out with but now it has to actually be put into practise. The UK is a successful and rich country, the 5th largest GDP in the world, will we take over Germany and move further ahead of France or fall behind? Will future generations get well-paying jobs in a big economy or will unemployment increase? We don't know but we're about to find out.

Oh and trade deals involve complex legislation, it's basically what they are.......
Old 24-03-2019, 21:21   #551
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze
1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze

Quote:
And before there are any rants about chlorinated chicken, if we were to import it, it would be labelled and you wouldn't have to eat it if you were put off by your own propaganda.
Not if a trade deal with the US prevented its being labelled. And how you can tell the details of chicken in canteens, etc?
Old 24-03-2019, 21:29   #552
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze

Quote:

There’s no opportunities to be had if, in our desperation, we unilaterally have to remove virtually all trade tariffs. It gives us no leverage in future trade deals and harms manufacturers of our goods and services, you know, where the employees pay tax here.

At best guess unilaterally removing tariffs might reduce the cost of many imports by 20%. There’s a much easier way to achieve that by remaining in the EU and the pound returning to pre-referendum levels.
Old 24-03-2019, 22:41   #553
Mick
Cable Forum Team

Mick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny star
Mick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny star

Quote:
How many times do I have to say this?

It’s not EU money, it’s our money. We are massive net contributors. What we save in the con job membership fee, we can decide to fund ourselves, we don’t have to go through a corrupt middleman to receive our own money back.
Old 24-03-2019, 22:46   #554
jfman
Architect of Ideas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mick View Post

It’s not EU money, it’s our money. We are massive net contributors. What we save in the con job membership fee, we can decide to fund ourselves, we don’t have to go through a corrupt middleman to receive our own money back.
We can safely say the funding wouldn’t happen then as Conservative ideology reduces the size of state spending even further.
Old 24-03-2019, 22:50   #555
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze
1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mick View Post

There may be a saving in paper in membership fees, depending on the deal we strike with the EU, assuming we leave.
But the reduction in GDP from leaving is unfortunately likely to more than wipe any savings out.
Closed Thread