Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Belkin Play router and VM

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Belkin Play router and VM

Old 13-01-2012, 14:58   #1
Anmar
Inactive

Services: VM
Anmar is an unknown quantity at this point
Belkin Play router and VM

Hello everyone,

I recently bought Belkin Play router and connected it with Netgear router (virgin's router), I don,t know what is the right settings for my home wireless network, we have four laptops and two PS3.

currently my connection is wired it is fast when I watch iplayer on ps3 or BBC online on my laptop, but very slow youtube and other websites even facebook.

what is the problem exactly?!

please help me with this.

Thank you

---------- Post added at 14:58 ---------- Previous post was at 14:32 ----------

that is the one I have

http://www.belkin.com/IWCatProductPa...duct_Id=522111

I bought it because I thought i can play online without interruption.

but at the end I can't return it because it has memory they said, and my internet connection has get worser

it can't get any worse, can it!
Anmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 17-01-2012, 21:21   #2
Anmar
Inactive

Re: Belkin Play router and VM

please guys help me

Old 17-01-2012, 22:05   #3
thenry
Inactive

thenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny star
thenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny star

do you have the standard hub or superhub?
thenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2012, 09:27   #4
Anmar
Inactive

oh, hi there

will i don't think that I have a hub.

I only have netgear (virgin router) and connected it with Ethernet cable to Belkin N600 play router.
Old 18-01-2012, 11:55   #5
thenry
Inactive

thenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny star
thenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny star

this > http://help.virginmedia.com/system/s...ICLE_ID=322887

you might be flooding the device. there might be a network fault.

that modem/router you have from VM hasn't got modem mode or you could have put it into that mode and hooked your Belkins unit up no problems. The SuperHub has modem mode and costs 30£ to activate.
Old 18-01-2012, 12:08   #6
Anmar
Inactive

could it be because i set the net gear router to be an access point only?

can u please help me with right setting for both routers

Thanks
Old 18-01-2012, 12:20   #7
thenry
Inactive

I've just seen your post here > http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/35364776-post5.html

you do know that the range you have has issues. i think you've got the 2 year warranty too. why don't you get onto belkin support via their site you can live chat with them via it... tell them its dying and they will replace the unit for free > new range..

---------- Post added at 12:20 ---------- Previous post was at 12:09 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anmar View Post
could it be because i set the net gear router to be an access point only?

can u please help me with right setting for both routers

Thanks
right you've got two choices here, as I've posted above. you can get your Belkin unit replaced for one in their new range. that surf range you have has been well documented to be a flop! their new F9K1103 will cover your current router... the new range has been vastly improved.

or we can attempt some lame work around. i suggest you get your unit replaced. tell belkins its dropping the connection> dying which needs replacing. theres a lot of people that were or are in the same position as you.

belkin support > http://en-uk-support.belkin.com

you can chat to a live agent, call them or send them an email. make sure you use a valid email address as you'll be in contact with them via the email addy. don't accept anything left than the new range, as mentioned the problems are well documented and they know it..

in the mean time we can set up your VM modem/router? are there any routers currently connected to it?
Old 18-01-2012, 12:32   #8
Anmar
Inactive

no I don't think the range is the problem because even when i connect my laptop wired with the belking router it's still so slow or no internet.

about the belkin support I tried to register in their website and couldn't they say the email already exist and when I try to login it says the wrong password or email so I wanted to reset my password a message appears that says this email doesn't exist

daaaaaaaaaamn them
Old 18-01-2012, 12:36   #9
thenry
Inactive

the surf, play etc. that range sucks, its been highlighted to have too many issues. anyway..

open this > http://www.belkin.com/uk/support/

look to your left and you'll see Get Help, click on contact support under that heading > then try again contacting support
Old 18-01-2012, 12:37   #10
Anmar
Inactive

ok I will try to contact them by phone and see what will they say

what do you mean by range?!

now I only use the VM router and the connection is fine but when i play online the connection is very slow and signal is 45% and I can't take my laptop in my room
Old 18-01-2012, 12:46   #11
thenry
Inactive

Quote:
ok I will try to contact them by phone and see what will they say
if the chat to support link doesn't work and the email then yeah if your happy calling call.

before you go calling, try through the US site, the UK site may have issues > http://www.belkin.com/support/

Quote:
what do you mean by range?!
that Belkin router you have has a range from high end to low end. your router is one of the high end routers. do not get your router replaced like-for-like unless you want the same issues. make sure your replacement has a model number starting with F9K. replacement model should either be F9K1102uk or F9K1103uk

Quote:
now I only use the VM router and the connection is fine but when i play online the connection is very slow and signal is 45% and I can't take my laptop in my room
we could possible improve that by changing channels if you haven't already. if you haven't...

download inSSIDer onto your lapto, run the prog and let it search for all networks within reach of you. note what channel number each network uses. then set your VM Hub to use a channel number that isn't in use.

login (default username: admin - password: changeme)
advanced settings
wireless settings
change channel number
apply
exit
Old 18-01-2012, 16:53   #12
Anmar
Inactive

You r not ganna believe this
But I fixed it

The problem was the connection type in belkin play router

And that is it

Oooooooh thank god
Old 18-01-2012, 17:06   #13
thenry
Inactive

did you switch to dynamic? was it originally set to something else?
Old 18-01-2012, 19:43   #14
Anmar
Inactive

Yes exactly!
Old 18-01-2012, 19:46   #15
thenry
Inactive

strange, all of Belkins DSL units are shipped already configured to grab dynamic.

anyway have you changed channels manually on both the VM Hub and the Belkins ? also don't use the same channels