Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Virgin TV Horizon 4 V6

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Virgin TV Horizon 4 V6

Old 20-08-2020, 14:12   #91
ozsat
cf.mega poster

Services: 1.2Gb/100Mb, VMTV (UHD), Freesat HD, Freeview HD, SkyQ (UHD), BTtv (UHD), DAB+
ozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful one
Re: Virgin TV Horizon 4 V6

Sorry - I meant Tb - it was early in the morning

But I agree - replacing two V6 boxes with the two box Horizon option will half the available recording space.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raider999 View Post
Correct apart from it is Tb not Mb.

I stated this in my original post, Mythica doesn't seem able to understand - still not sure why?[COLOR="Silver"]
ozsat is online now   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 20-08-2020, 15:05   #92
Mythica
cf.geek

Mythica has reached the bronze age
Mythica has reached the bronze ageMythica has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozsat View Post
Sorry - I meant Tb - it was early in the morning

But I agree - replacing two V6 boxes with the two box Horizon option will half the available recording space.
How will it half the available recording space? Am I missing something?
Mythica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2020, 16:14   #93
Raider999
cf.mega poster

Raider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation era

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mythica View Post
How will it half the available recording space? Am I missing something?

You are assuming that you will have 2 V6 boxes and mini-boxes.

Nothing I have seen suggests this, on the contrary what I have seen indicates 1 recording box of 1Tb and non-recording mini boxes (on the same principle as skyQ)

Hence the recording space would be halved.

The original suggestion was the recordings would be on the cloud - but details such as recording limits regarding total size and time before they were no longer available were sketchy to say the least.
Raider999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2020, 16:52   #94
Mythica
cf.geek

Quote:
You are assuming that you will have 2 V6 boxes and mini-boxes.

Nothing I have seen suggests this, on the contrary what I have seen indicates 1 recording box of 1Tb and non-recording mini boxes (on the same principle as skyQ)

Hence the recording space would be halved.

The original suggestion was the recordings would be on the cloud - but details such as recording limits regarding total size and time before they were no longer available were sketchy to say the least.
I wouldn't say I was assuming anything, more using logical sense. If you have two V6 boxes, why would you swap out one for a box with no HDD space, especially when your contract states your package comes with two V6 boxes and more so, the offer states it will not affect your current subscription terms and conditions.

Regardless of the above, nothing states that your recording space is getting halved.
Old 20-08-2020, 17:26   #95
RobboEdin
cf.mega poster

RobboEdin has reached the bronze age
RobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze age

Why would you swap out a V6 for a box with no HDD?
Here’s a possible reason:
You can’t mix TiVo and Horizon boxes.
With two V6s, you would need to swap them out for a Horizon box and mini, halving your storage.
RobboEdin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2020, 17:29   #96
Mythica
cf.geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobboEdin View Post
Why would you swap out a V6 for a box with no HDD?
Here’s a possible reason:
You can’t mix TiVo and Horizon boxes.
With two V6s, you would need to swap them out for a Horizon box and mini, halving your storage.
But that would make no logical sense. You'd just get a third V6 or leave the two V6 boxes.

Edit to add that none of us actually know what the offer is. They might replace both V6 boxes.

Last edited by Mythica; 20-08-2020 at 18:01.
Old 20-08-2020, 18:01   #97
RobboEdin
cf.mega poster

RobboEdin has reached the bronze age
RobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze age

....but, at some stage, V6 will be retired.
RobboEdin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2020, 18:07   #98
Mythica
cf.geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobboEdin View Post
....but, at some stage, V6 will be retired.
Obviously, but that has nothing to do with someone's storage getting halved by taking up this offer.
Old 20-08-2020, 19:56   #99
Raider999
cf.mega poster

Raider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation era

Quote:
Obviously, but that has nothing to do with someone's storage getting halved by taking up this offer.

You really hate to admit you may be wrong don't you.

Robboedin appears to work for Virgin - so possibly knows more than you or I do.
Old 20-08-2020, 20:10   #100
Mythica
cf.geek

Quote:
You really hate to admit you may be wrong don't you.

Robboedin appears to work for Virgin - so possibly knows more than you or I do.
No, I maybe wrong. Not sure why you think that? It's just you've come out with some ludicrous theory with no facts behind it.
Old 21-08-2020, 09:20   #101
fox35
cf.addict

Services: V6 x2, Bigger Bundle, Maxit TV & M350, Talk Wkends
fox35 is a jewel in the roughfox35 is a jewel in the roughfox35 is a jewel in the roughfox35 is a jewel in the roughfox35 is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
What offer? No offer has even been announced yet for UK customers? The "offer" you are alluding to is, I assume, for Eire customers who've never had the V6 with TiVo anyway, only the original Liberty Horizon, which this new offer with 1tb Horizon 4 or "360 TV" with mini boxes and the TV Go app is a massive upgrade.
As regards the UK, I can only see this for NEW customers after launch, with 1 main V6 box with recording facilities running the new Horizon software and up to 4 mini "slave" boxes around the home and interconnectivity with the TV Go app and all with cloud recording and storage added further on. Existing or legacy customers with 2+ V6 boxes should be expected to continue with their contracts, but their boxes will be running the new Horizon software and UI. Ultimately though I can see these extra V6 boxes eventually replaced out with the mini slave multi-room boxes connecting to the main V6 box and cloud storage added on, and further enhancing and updating to the TV Go app, but not until existing contracts have expired. The future of entertainment is clearly in streaming, and the "cloud" and the Virgin TV Go app will be massive part of that. Hard Disc Drives and Linear television will eventually be as obsolete as VHS, cassettes and CD's.
Cord cutting is a clear and present threat and will only intensify with new and younger customers who only want to stream with the fastest and latest tech. Virgin Media and Liberty Global have finally realised that and need to embrace it. Hence, also the roll out of the new Hub 4 to help meet this new ever growing demand.

Last edited by fox35; 21-08-2020 at 10:47.
fox35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2020, 09:23   #102
Mythica
cf.geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by fox35 View Post
What offer? No offer has even been announced yet for UK customers? The "offer" you are alluding to is, I assume, for Eire customers who've never had the V6 with TiVo anyway, only the original Liberty Horizon, which this new offer with 1tb Horizon 4 or "360 TV" with mini boxes is a massive upgrade.
As regards the UK, I can only see this for NEW customers after launch, with 1 main V6 box with recording facilities running the new Horizon software and up to 4 mini "slave" boxes around the home with maybe cloud recording and storage added further on. Existing or legacy customers with 2+ V6 boxes should be expected to continue with their contracts, but their boxes will be running the Horizon software and UI. Ultimately though I can see these extra V6 boxes eventually replaced out with the mini slave multi-room boxes and cloud storage, but not until existing contracts have expired. The future of entertainment is clearly in streaming and the "cloud" is a massive part of that. Hard Disc Drives and Linear television will eventually be as obsolete as VHS, cassettes and CD's. Virgin Media and Liberty have finally realised that.
The offer we've been talking about in here. The one that is being offered through email.
Old 21-08-2020, 10:28   #103
Raider999
cf.mega poster

Quote:
No, I maybe wrong. Not sure why you think that? It's just you've come out with some ludicrous theory with no facts behind it.
It's funny how everyone else thinks differently to you - but you may be correct
Old 21-08-2020, 10:36   #104
Mythica
cf.geek

Quote:
It's funny how everyone else thinks differently to you - but you may be correct
Let's think about this logically.

I'm on the ultimate oomph bundle. I've been offered something (none of us actually know what yet) but we're assuming from what people have said, new Horizon boxes. At this moment in time, with two V6 boxes, are you saying the offer is to take those away and replace with one Horizon box and one mini box?

That makes no logical sense and you wouldn't upgrade to that.
Old 21-08-2020, 11:07   #105
spankysmagicpian
cf.geek

Services: Ultimate Oomph although there is nothing ultimate or oomph about it.
spankysmagicpian is just so famous around these partsspankysmagicpian is just so famous around these partsspankysmagicpian is just so famous around these partsspankysmagicpian is just so famous around these partsspankysmagicpian is just so famous around these partsspankysmagicpian is just so famous around these partsspankysmagicpian is just so famous around these partsspankysmagicpian is just so famous around these partsspankysmagicpian is just so famous around these partsspankysmagicpian is just so famous around these partsspankysmagicpian is just so famous around these partsspankysmagicpian is just so famous around these partsspankysmagicpian is just so famous around these partsspankysmagicpian is just so famous around these partsspankysmagicpian is just so famous around these parts

Quote:
Totally inadequate - needs to be at least 2Tb. I have 2 V6 boxes (as many others do) and this is often a push - to halve my recording space is unacceptable.

Seriously, I will be looking at reverting back to sky when my contract ends.

Incidentally, I received an email this morning stating my monthly charge will shortly be rising to over £130pm (do they think I'm made of money?)

Scroll down the email it says the same is available to new customers for £80pm for an 18 month contract!
Mine was going up to £137 but I phoned them up and agreed on £105 a month which I'm happy with as the unlimited SIMs are £30 on their own.

Just a warning - they are only doing 18 month contracts now
spankysmagicpian is offline   Reply With Quote