Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | UK & EU Agree Post-Brexit Trade Deal

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Current Affairs
Register FAQ Community Calendar

UK & EU Agree Post-Brexit Trade Deal
Closed Thread

Old 31-12-2020, 12:48   #5506
GrimUpNorth
cf.mega poster

GrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny star
GrimUpNorth has a nice shiny star
Re: UK & EU Agree Post-Brexit Trade Deal

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1andrew1 View Post
Fair enough. A shame his son drove him to it.
Did Bozza give him a lift to the Embassy?
Advertisement
Old 31-12-2020, 13:20   #5507
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze
1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze

I can't believe Nigel Farage hasn't been given a knighthood!

---------- Post added at 13:20 ---------- Previous post was at 13:16 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrimUpNorth View Post
Did Bozza give him a lift to the Embassy?
Only metaphorically - BoJo's bicycle is not made for two.
Old 31-12-2020, 13:21   #5508
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

RichardCoulter has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrimUpNorth View Post
I see Mr Johnson Snr is applying for French citizenship.

https://uk.reuters.com/article/uk-br...-idUKKBN2950VV
What advantages are there to be had in someone living in the UK becoming an EU citizen? It will be easier to get through passport control, is there anything else worth doing it for?
Old 31-12-2020, 13:22   #5509
daveeb
cf.mega poster

daveeb has reached the bronze age
daveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1andrew1 View Post
I can't believe Nigel Farage hasn't been given a knighthood!

---------- Post added at 13:20 ---------- Previous post was at 13:16 ----------

Only metaphorically - BoJo's bicycle is not made for two.
Should have asked dodgy Dom for a lift, he's surely due an eye test by now.
Old 31-12-2020, 15:42   #5510
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardCoulter View Post
What advantages are there to be had in someone living in the UK becoming an EU citizen? It will be easier to get through passport control, is there anything else worth doing it for?
The ability to live and work in the EU?
Old 31-12-2020, 16:01   #5511
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze
1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardCoulter View Post
If you've got a second home in the EU as Samuel Johnson does, then I believe you are not restricted to the number of days you can spend there or anywhere else in the EU.

---------- Post added at 16:01 ---------- Previous post was at 15:58 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveeb View Post
Should have asked dodgy Dom for a lift, he's surely due an eye test by now.
He kindly offered but only provides his passengers with toilet breaks every 260 miles.
Old 31-12-2020, 17:56   #5512
Pierre
The Dark Satanic Mills

Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars
Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfman View Post
The ability to live and work in the EU?
We can still do that and pretty much any other country in the world, but I wouldn’t rush to North Korea.
Old 31-12-2020, 18:10   #5513
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

Becoming a citizen of the fifth republic is a bit of an extreme way of ensuring you can visit your gîte whenever you want. I’m pretty sure a visa isn’t that hard to come by.

I’d find it difficult to spend 90 days away from home within the UK, let alone traveling overseas. Those who have the financial means spend so long on foreign holidays that they need a visa ... well I’m not shedding any tears. Far too many remain arguments hinged on retention of rights very few British people can actually afford to exercise.
Old 31-12-2020, 19:00   #5514
jonbxx
cf.mega poster

Services: VM VIP Pack
jonbxx has a bronzed appealjonbxx has a bronzed appeal
jonbxx has a bronzed appealjonbxx has a bronzed appealjonbxx has a bronzed appealjonbxx has a bronzed appealjonbxx has a bronzed appealjonbxx has a bronzed appealjonbxx has a bronzed appeal

Having worked in the US with an H1-B visa and in the EU for extended periods, I can assure you that the experiences are very different in terms of hoops I and my employer have to jump through in terms of paperwork, costs and embassy visits.

In positive news, I have now transferred a professional licence i have to our Irish legal company so I can continue working with my biggest customers who are EU based. Luckily there isn’t a residence requirement. Just need to find out what the equivalent UK qualifications will be when these are published. Going to be busy in January and February getting this done!
Old 31-12-2020, 19:10   #5515
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre View Post
We can still do that and pretty much any other country in the world, but I wouldn’t rush to North Korea.
Not seamlessly, and not without paperwork.

Not wishing to rehash the whole debate - I was simply answering Richard’s question that there’s much more to it than the fast gates at the airport. As Chris indicates some reasonably well off/retired people or self employed may wish to reside in a second home in an EU member state for more than 90 days in a 180 day period.

They may also wish to do some work - as a freelance journalist, television appearances (via video link), author etc. In these cases having dual nationality could be beneficial. Certainly it seems enough for the PMs own father.

Cyprus, for example, has controversially traded passports for €7bn of investment.

https://www.politico.eu/article/cypr...r-cash-scheme/

Folk aren’t investing that amount to save on a couple of forms and 15 minutes at border control.

Last edited by jfman; 31-12-2020 at 19:23.
Old 31-12-2020, 20:42   #5516
Pierre
The Dark Satanic Mills

Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars
Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Not seamlessly, and not without paperwork.
Oooh! Paperwork!

Quote:
Not wishing to rehash the whole debate - I was simply answering Richard’s question that there’s much more to it than the fast gates at the airport.
But to the “average” rank and file U.K. citizen, that is pretty much it........... not forgetting roaming charges, which are unlikely to change.

As someone that travels .........travelled........to mainland Europe at least 5-6 times per year, the only noticeable benefit of EU membership to me was the passport Lane.

Quote:
As Chris indicates some reasonably well off/retired people or self employed may wish to reside in a second home in an EU member state for more than 90 days in a 180 day period.
nothing stopping them for applying for resident status.......they’ve had 4 years to sort it out.

Quote:
They may also wish to do some work - as a freelance journalist, television appearances (via video link), author etc. In these cases having dual nationality could be beneficial. Certainly it seems enough for the PMs own father.
there is nothing stopping anyone that wishes to work in an EU country to do so. Apart from their aversion to paperwork?

And I’d also like to qualify that the only reason I’m on here on NYE is because the kids are watching Hobbs & Shaw on the TV, that I’ve seen many times, so I’m drinking a beer on the couch casually iPad surfing!
Old 31-12-2020, 20:48   #5517
jfman
Architect of Ideas

I'm waiting on a virtual quiz to start with friends while enjoying a rum.

Paperwork costs time, time costs money if you are wealthy. As I say I'd no wish to rehash the same old arguments - but if applying for a French passport is a 'once and done' approach to give Stanley Johnson, or anyone else, the rights and freedoms they enjoyed up to now that's presumably preferable to them to go through the motions every year if they spend a substantial time overseas.

I agree that the vast, vast majority of the pubic cannot afford to/have no aspiration to live in the EU now or at a later date. However for those that do, and can get an EU passport, that's the easiest way to do it.

Happy New Year when it comes.
Old 31-12-2020, 20:56   #5518
Pierre
The Dark Satanic Mills

Quote:
Happy New Year when it comes.

HNY JFman, Look forward to annoying each other, and occasionally agreeing, in 2021.

Life, and this forum, would be unbearably boring if we all thought alike.

Shouts out to Mr K, Andrew, Hugh, Damian, Paul, nomad, sepiroth & Mick. And the bastion of common sense that is Chris.

Oh....and Old boy, why not.

See you next year guys.
Old 31-12-2020, 21:13   #5519
Sephiroth
Sulking in the Corner

Services: 1 Gbps; Hub 4 MM; ASUS RT-AX88U; Ultimate VOLT. BT Infinity2; Devolo 1200AV
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre View Post
HNY JFman, Look forward to annoying each other, and occasionally agreeing, in 2021.

Life, and this forum, would be unbearably boring if we all thought alike.

Shouts out to Mr K, Andrew, Hugh, Damian, Paul, nomad, sepiroth & Mick. And the bastion of common sense that is Chris.

Oh....and Old boy, why not.

See you next year guys.
Echo all of that. HNY

My advice is at your risk.
Old 31-12-2020, 22:15   #5520
jonbxx
cf.mega poster

Services: VM VIP Pack
jonbxx has a bronzed appealjonbxx has a bronzed appeal
jonbxx has a bronzed appealjonbxx has a bronzed appealjonbxx has a bronzed appealjonbxx has a bronzed appealjonbxx has a bronzed appealjonbxx has a bronzed appealjonbxx has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sephiroth View Post
Echo all of that. HNY
Me too. We might not agree on much here but we argue our points well on the whole!

Happy New Year and best wishes to all of you, your family and friends. Let’s raise a glass to 2021!
Closed Thread