Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Virgin Mobile UK Moves to Scrap Pay As You Go Packages

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin & O2 Mobile Service

Virgin Mobile UK Moves to Scrap Pay As You Go Packages

Old 16-07-2021, 14:27   #1
pip08456
Sad Doig Fan!

Services: With VM for BB 250Mb service.(Deal)
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star
Virgin Mobile UK Moves to Scrap Pay As You Go Packages

Why not just transfer them to O2's PAYG?

https://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.ph...-packages.html
pip08456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 16-07-2021, 15:17   #2
Mr K
Woke and proud !

Services: TV, Phone, BB, a wife
Mr K has a nice shiny star
Mr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny star
Re: Virgin Mobile UK Moves to Scrap Pay As You Go Packages

Didn't they try this before and had to backtrack after an outcry?

Can recommend ASDAs payg, cheap bundles and cheap out of bundle prices.
Mr K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2021, 15:50   #3
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

RichardCoulter has disabled reputation

The best alternative PAYG service that I found was 1p Mobile. https://www.1pmobile.com/

1p per text, 1p per minute calls (including mobiles) and 1p per MB of data (deals available for higher users). Credit never expires and there isn't a requirement to make any minimum calls etc.

Anyone interested is welcome to PM me for a free £5 credit code.
RichardCoulter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2021, 15:58   #4
cheekyangus
cf.mega poster

cheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quads

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr K View Post

Yeah. Though how much can be attributed to the backlash, and how much was because news accidentally came out during the the early Covid days where people needed to stay connected and it would've looked even worse, who knows?

Previous thread -> https://www.cableforum.uk/board/show...php?t=33709154

There was also that it looked like they were only giving a month's notice to act, which was ridiculous.

---------- Post added at 14:58 ---------- Previous post was at 14:56 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by pip08456 View Post
Why not just transfer them to O2's PAYG?

https://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.ph...-packages.html
Exactly. Though O2 arm probably want rid of PayG too, so would want to encourage them to other product types.
cheekyangus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2021, 16:02   #5
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

When they tried to put up my mobile phone package by £7 a month I enquired about PAYG and was told (in writing) that Virgin no longer did PAYG! Another lie from these cowboys; was glad to see the back of them.
Old 16-07-2021, 16:08   #6
cheekyangus
cf.mega poster

cheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quads

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardCoulter View Post
When they tried to put up my mobile phone package by £7 a month I enquired about PAYG and was told (in writing) that Virgin no longer did PAYG! Another lie from these cowboys; was glad to see the back of them.
They stopped selling it and it became a Legacy product. That can count as no longer doing it.
Old 16-07-2021, 16:26   #7
joglynne
Born again teenager.

Services: Maxit TV, M250 Fibre BB. Phone-Anytime Chatter
joglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aura
joglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr K View Post

I am looking for a new rollover PAYG, am currently with 3 and their charges on PAYG have gone silly. Saw your post so have looked at Asda payg. It looks good, well it did before I checked on Trust Pilot so I'm back to looking at 1p mobile which looks good but at the moment with not using my phone much and it requiring a 3 monthly top up it isn't fitting my needs as, at the moment, I would be hard pressed using up the £10 credit I started with in a year.
Old 16-07-2021, 16:43   #8
cheekyangus
cf.mega poster

The Three PAYG rates are still much better than recent VM rates which got silly (e.g. £2 minimum data which resets at midnight). Three's previous PAYG tariff was 321 which was unchanged for many years. Compared to that, yes the new tariff is much more expensive, but far from worst last time I looked.

I'd be surprised if 1p Mobile can keep going at that rate, their margins must be razor thin.

The problem with some of the "low price" services is you have to remain active or you lose credit or service. Some people just need £5 sitting there for entire year (or more), and the options are limited.
Old 16-07-2021, 16:47   #9
Taf
cf.mega poster

Services: TVXL BBXL Superhub 2ac (wired) 1Tb Tivo
Taf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny star
Taf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by joglynne View Post
I would be hard pressed using up the £10 credit I started with in a year.
I have over £5 left of a £10 credit from 2018....
Taf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2021, 17:05   #10
joglynne
Born again teenager.

joglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taf View Post
I have over £5 left of a £10 credit from 2018....
Good gracious me, you have really been pushing the boat out with that high usage.

In the last 18 months I have used 19p on my 3 payg.

Being able to phone mobiles using my landline and have long phone calls every morning to some vulnerable friends using my VM package, which includes a lovely discount covering free phone calls, has been a boon.

.... Such a nice young man at VM, he said that I was the first customer that day who was nice and made him laugh.
Old 16-07-2021, 17:10   #11
cheekyangus
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Good gracious me, you have really been pushing the boat out with that high usage.

In the last 18 months I have used 19p on my 3 payg.

Being able to phone mobiles using my landline and have long phone calls every morning to some vulnerable friends using my VM package, which includes a lovely discount covering free phone calls, has been a boon.

.... Such a nice young man at VM, he said that I was the first customer that day who was nice and made him laugh.
Can you confirm that they moved all 321 customers to the new PAYG tariff rates?
Old 16-07-2021, 17:15   #12
joglynne
Born again teenager.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheekyangus View Post
Can you confirm that they moved all 321 customers to the new PAYG tariff rates?
Yes everyone was moved onto the new payg rates from February this year. I think we got about a months notice.
Old 16-07-2021, 17:23   #13
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

Quote:
I am looking for a new rollover PAYG, am currently with 3 and their charges on PAYG have gone silly. Saw your post so have looked at Asda payg. It looks good, well it did before I checked on Trust Pilot so I'm back to looking at 1p mobile which looks good but at the moment with not using my phone much and it requiring a 3 monthly top up it isn't fitting my needs as, at the moment, I would be hard pressed using up the £10 credit I started with in a year.
1p Mobile works out at about 57p a week, so is useful for those who use roughly an hour a week or less.

I am in credit at present, but as this never expires, it will be useful to use for data when no WiFi is available and for calls to friends & family abroad who are unable/unwilling to use apps such as Whatsapp.

Calls abroad aren't 1p per minute, but are much cheaper than Virgin Media, so i'll use my mobile for these to both save money and spend any accumulated credit.

Anyone using over about two hours a week would be better off using an unlimited calls/texts SIM with some data included.

I worked out that not having to use my VM landline Mon-Fri (free weekend calls) and not having to remember to make a chargeable call (some PAYG companies had something daft like a minimum call charge of £2) and knowing that any accumulated credit rolled over would be useful for data & weekend calls whilst away from home with no WiFi made 1p Mobile the best choice for me.

Last edited by RichardCoulter; 16-07-2021 at 17:33.
Old 16-07-2021, 18:36   #14
gba93
ofc.founder_member

Services: VIP 60
gba93 has reached the bronze age
gba93 has reached the bronze agegba93 has reached the bronze agegba93 has reached the bronze agegba93 has reached the bronze agegba93 has reached the bronze agegba93 has reached the bronze agegba93 has reached the bronze agegba93 has reached the bronze age

Have a look at Smarty for a good deal!

https://smarty.co.uk/?gclsrc=aw.ds&g...E&gclsrc=aw.ds

I've saved a fortune.
gba93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2021, 19:46   #15
cheekyangus
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by gba93 View Post
Have a look at Smarty for a good deal!

https://smarty.co.uk/?gclsrc=aw.ds&g...E&gclsrc=aw.ds

I've saved a fortune.
I only found out today that it's Three's version of Voxi and GiffGaff.