Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Virgin TV 360 users (Horizon)

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service

Virgin TV 360 users (Horizon)

Old 05-12-2020, 17:49   #316
fox35
cf.addict

Services: V6 x2, Bigger Bundle, Maxit TV & M350, Talk Wkends
fox35 is a jewel in the roughfox35 is a jewel in the roughfox35 is a jewel in the roughfox35 is a jewel in the roughfox35 is a jewel in the rough
Re: Virgin TV 360 users (Horizon)

Quote:
Originally Posted by muppetman11 View Post
So basically Catch Up made available via a prompt whilst tuning to the channel.
Correct.
fox35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 05-12-2020, 18:08   #317
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Freesport HD is currently showing a live La Liga football game that has Watch from start available.

Last edited by BenMcr; 05-12-2020 at 18:25.
BenMcr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2020, 18:30   #318
fox35
cf.addict

fox35 is a jewel in the roughfox35 is a jewel in the roughfox35 is a jewel in the roughfox35 is a jewel in the roughfox35 is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenMcr View Post
Freesport HD is currently showing a live La Liga football game that has Watch from start available.
That is not live tv. It was played yesterday.
This is available in the Premier Sports Catchup App. So as muppetman11 pointed out, the Startover prompt in the live epg just plays it out from the Catchup content, which was and is already available.

Last edited by fox35; 05-12-2020 at 18:37.
Old 05-12-2020, 18:58   #319
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by fox35 View Post
That is not live tv. It was played yesterday.
This is available in the Premier Sports Catchup App.
Fair enough. The big 'live' in the bottom right of the picture shouldn't really be there then!

As for the 'Catchup', I don't think that's on the V6, and is subscription content on the 360.

---------- Post added at 17:58 ---------- Previous post was at 17:37 ----------

And the next football match which says it's live in the guide and on screen also has Watch from start available

Last edited by BenMcr; 05-12-2020 at 18:54.
Old 05-12-2020, 19:55   #320
RobboEdin
cf.mega poster

RobboEdin has reached the bronze age
RobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze age

Quote:
OK, a second person who can’t understand STARTOVER IS DIFFERENT AND NEW, despite Ben’s excellent explanation.
RobboEdin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2020, 21:14   #321
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobboEdin View Post
OK, a second person who can’t understand STARTOVER IS DIFFERENT AND NEW, despite Ben’s excellent explanation.
In fairness, if as they're claiming it's just a one button way to access an on demand episode of the same programme (or the BBC 'watch from start') then it's not really a new feature.

If it's available on 'live' programming (no laughing at the back you lot from the linear television thread) or channels where a catch up version of the same episode isn't available then I'll accept it's a new feature.
jfman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2020, 21:55   #322
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

It's both - but that depends on the content and the channel.

For live or first broadcast content on supported channels, the behaviour is new and isn't available on TiVo/V6.

Where a channel repeats content and that content is already available via other routes it behaves like a deep link - even where the 'watch from start' version may be time shifted from the specific broadcast on the channel.

But as I asked earlier, what's wrong with that? The end experience is a quick and easy way to 'rewind' the specific thing you're trying to watch without having to worry about where it's coming from.
Old 05-12-2020, 22:13   #323
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze

Happy to confirm the Porto game is currently live on Freesports and has a 'watch from start' option.
Old 06-12-2020, 09:57   #324
fox35
cf.addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfman View Post
Happy to confirm the Porto game is currently live on Freesports and has a 'watch from start' option.
Yes, it was.
But it was a shortcut taken from the live feed already playing out and available to rewind from the beginning within the Premier Sports catchup app, albeit behind a subscription.
Most if not all the Free Sports channel content, including live in real time or recorded, is available from its parent Premier Sports catchup app, both live and on-demand, behind a subscription wall for premium live content, of which the Porto v Tondell game was.
The 360 Startup is a shortcut prompt to that you straight to that content.

Last edited by fox35; 06-12-2020 at 10:30.
Old 06-12-2020, 10:34   #325
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

I honestly do not understand what the point you're trying to make there is.
Old 06-12-2020, 12:24   #326
jfman
Architect of Ideas

Quote:
Originally Posted by fox35 View Post
Yes, it was.
But it was a shortcut taken from the live feed already playing out and available to rewind from the beginning within the Premier Sports catchup app, albeit behind a subscription.
Most if not all the Free Sports channel content, including live in real time or recorded, is available from its parent Premier Sports catchup app, both live and on-demand, behind a subscription wall for premium live content, of which the Porto v Tondell game was.
The 360 Startup is a shortcut prompt to that you straight to that content.
My Premier Player app didn't let me return to the start I could only go back about half an hour. Happy to test again this afternoon with the Roma game.

Edit: I subscribe to Premier Sports via Sky and in app on Android I can only go back 16 minutes on all channels.

I've tried to access the Spence fight from overnight and it says it's being catalogued and cannot be watched at this time. I'm assuming (as I don't subscribe via Virgin) that this had a 'watch live' option on 360.

Last edited by jfman; 06-12-2020 at 12:30.
Old 06-12-2020, 13:16   #327
fox35
cf.addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenMcr View Post
I honestly do not understand what the point you're trying to make there is.
The fact that "STARTOVER IS SOMETHING DIFFERENT AND NEW" as has been alluded. Which it is not.
Yes I agree, It is a quick and useful prompt to the functionality via an app or catchup content, no argument.
But BBC iplayer have been doing this for a while now anyway on the V6, and I'm sure even Youview+ were doing it for years from their epg, obviously with lesser premium content.
Old 06-12-2020, 13:18   #328
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

I wasn't trying to claim that it was new as a concept or that other apps or TV platforms weren't doing it in some form already. I'm not aware of official Virgin Media communications doing that either:

https://www.virginmedia.com/corporat...ing-experience

Quote:
TV your way

Virgin TV 360 let’s viewers set their own TV schedule so they never have to miss a moment. With pause, rewind and handy new feature Startover, which allows customers to skip back to the beginning of a live show even if it’s already started, TV time is anytime.
This thread is specifically about the 360 boxes, and Startover is new to Virgin TV itself as part of 360. It doesn't currently exist on TiVo/V6 outside of iPlayer, and the iPlayer app function isn't integrated into the TiVo EPG.

Last edited by BenMcr; 06-12-2020 at 13:31.
Old 06-12-2020, 15:09   #329
fox35
cf.addict

Can someone please explain the Watchlist function, specifically why not all shows are able to be added to it? Also, why one episode from one series can be added from one channel, but a different episode from a different series on another channel can not?
Whereas V6 TiVo Bookmarks searched for all available episodes of a particular show across all channels and added them to the list, easily and simple.

Last edited by fox35; 06-12-2020 at 15:31.
Old 06-12-2020, 22:23   #330
Skie
a giant headend

Skie has reached the bronze age
Skie has reached the bronze ageSkie has reached the bronze ageSkie has reached the bronze ageSkie has reached the bronze ageSkie has reached the bronze ageSkie has reached the bronze ageSkie has reached the bronze age

Startup sounds neat, but because it's something that is going to be gimped very rapidly by it missing on a lot of channels due to licensing/greed it's not a replacement for just having your boxes buffers just recording the channels passively.
Skie is offline   Reply With Quote