Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Connect 2nd home pc to internet

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Router problem trying to reach 20Mb speeds?

Old 01-06-2007, 20:35   #1
shawty
Permanently Banned

shawty is a splendid one to beholdshawty is a splendid one to beholdshawty is a splendid one to beholdshawty is a splendid one to beholdshawty is a splendid one to beholdshawty is a splendid one to beholdshawty is a splendid one to beholdshawty is a splendid one to beholdshawty is a splendid one to behold
Router problem trying to reach 20Mb speeds?

Hey, I have VM 20Mb broadband ( was just updated from 10Mb a few days ago ) When I was on 10Mb I would be able to reach around 10Mb speeds. Now the upgrase has happened I can still only get 10Mb speeds when I connect through to my router. When I connect to the modem itself, that is when i start seeing speeds higher than 10Mb, as soon as I reconect to the router I then can only get 10Mb speeds. Or this is what looks like is happening.

I have 20Mb broadband with a NTL 250 modem connected to a Belkin Wireless G Router ( Belkin Wireless G Router 54Mbps 2.4GHz, version F5D7230-4 ) connected by ethernet.

Any help would be grateful on how to change some settings to allow 20Mbs speeds or if a new router would be needed.
shawty is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 01-06-2007, 20:38   #2
englishpaul
cf.addict

Services: BB [XL] TV [XL] T [L]
englishpaul is on a distinguished roadenglishpaul is on a distinguished road
Re: Router problem trying to reach 20Mb speeds?

You may find some help here: http://web.belkin.com/support/produc...230-4&scid=221
englishpaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2007, 20:53   #3
shawty
Permanently Banned

shawty is a splendid one to beholdshawty is a splendid one to beholdshawty is a splendid one to beholdshawty is a splendid one to beholdshawty is a splendid one to beholdshawty is a splendid one to beholdshawty is a splendid one to beholdshawty is a splendid one to beholdshawty is a splendid one to behold

None of that really means that much to me lol.
Old 01-06-2007, 21:13   #4
englishpaul
cf.addict

Services: BB [XL] TV [XL] T [L]
englishpaul is on a distinguished roadenglishpaul is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawty View Post
None of that really means that much to me lol.

You could try emailing them http://www.belkin.com/contact/suppor...spx?cid=6&bu=2 or even ring them 0845 607 7787

I have had dealings with their Tech Support in the past and cannot speak highly enough of their service.
englishpaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2007, 21:17   #5
shawty
Permanently Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by englishpaul View Post

You could try emailing them http://www.belkin.com/contact/suppor...spx?cid=6&bu=2 or even ring them 0845 607 7787

I have had dealings with their Tech Support in the past and cannot speak highly enough of their service.
Ok thanks, I will try that.
Old 01-06-2007, 22:02   #6
LiamTG
cf.addict

Services: TV XL Sky Movies Internet XL Unlimited telephone
LiamTG is infamous around these partsLiamTG is infamous around these parts

Quote:
Ok thanks, I will try that.
Let us know how you get on bud. I may experience the same problem when I eventually get 20 meg!

LTG
LiamTG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2007, 07:30   #7
martin42h
Inactive

Services: VM VIP, Freeview
martin42h is on a distinguished roadmartin42h is on a distinguished road

Belkin seem to be very coy about the specification of the WAN port on this router. A lot of these routers have only a 10-BaseT WAN port which means maximum 10 Mbps. I've had a look at the Belkin website but can't find the spec of the WAN port on this particular router. I suggest an e-mail to Belkin support. You need a 100-BaseT spec WAN port.
martin42h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2007, 17:20   #8
shawty
Permanently Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by martin42h View Post
Belkin seem to be very coy about the specification of the WAN port on this router. A lot of these routers have only a 10-BaseT WAN port which means maximum 10 Mbps. I've had a look at the Belkin website but can't find the spec of the WAN port on this particular router. I suggest an e-mail to Belkin support. You need a 100-BaseT spec WAN port.
Well I have sent them an e-mail, just waiting for an answer now. On the routers box it does say -

Ports
4-10/100Base - Tx auto-senssing and auto-uplink RJ45 ports, ( LAN )
1-10/100Base - Tx RJ45port, ( WAN )
Old 03-06-2007, 07:22   #9
martin42h
Inactive

Quote:
Well I have sent them an e-mail, just waiting for an answer now. On the routers box it does say -

Ports
4-10/100Base - Tx auto-senssing and auto-uplink RJ45 ports, ( LAN )
1-10/100Base - Tx RJ45port, ( WAN )
It would appear therefore that the WAN port is 100Base-T capable. It may be that the processing power of the router is just not capable of the throughput required at 20 Mbps. Of course, all routers will slow the connection to some extent. I have a Linksys WRT54GS and can get speeds approaching 20 Mbps through the router. You may have to look at replacing the router if you feel the speed is a problem.
Old 03-06-2007, 07:33   #10
Pedro1
Inactive

Pedro1 is just really nicePedro1 is just really nicePedro1 is just really nicePedro1 is just really nicePedro1 is just really nicePedro1 is just really nice

I have upgraded to vm 20mb too and had the same prob. most routers will only go up to around 10mb when wireless. I have reverted back to hard wire for my main pc to get the full speed. i have still yet to find a router that will give you more than 9-10mb when wireless.
Pedro1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007, 09:23   #11
martin42h
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedro1 View Post
I have upgraded to vm 20mb too and had the same prob. most routers will only go up to around 10mb when wireless. I have reverted back to hard wire for my main pc to get the full speed. i have still yet to find a router that will give you more than 9-10mb when wireless.
Good point Pedro1. I was assuming that shawty is using a wired connection.
I agree that via wireless 10 Mbps would be pretty good. I can only get 7-8 Mbps to my laptop but then it does only have a 11 Mbps wireless network card.
Old 03-06-2007, 10:03   #12
Pedro1
Inactive

Pedro1 is just really nicePedro1 is just really nicePedro1 is just really nicePedro1 is just really nicePedro1 is just really nicePedro1 is just really nice

Remember when you are using a router you are stuck behind the NAT settings.
Although i get back my full speed by going back to the wire i also have to set whichever pc i am on to run outside the NAT settings to get full download speed. (ie torrent sites).

You can use port forwarding, or on your router or just go into your routers DMZ settings and set your ip outside the NAT settings.

---------- Post added at 10:03 ---------- Previous post was at 10:00 ----------

I am averaging around 18.5mb as when b4 i was 9-10mb (wireless)
Old 03-06-2007, 11:03   #13
martin42h
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedro1 View Post
Remember when you are using a router you are stuck behind the NAT settings.
Although i get back my full speed by going back to the wire i also have to set whichever pc i am on to run outside the NAT settings to get full download speed. (ie torrent sites).

You can use port forwarding, or on your router or just go into your routers DMZ settings and set your ip outside the NAT settings.

---------- Post added at 10:03 ---------- Previous post was at 10:00 ----------

I am averaging around 18.5mb as when b4 i was 9-10mb (wireless)
All good points again Pedro1 and things you tend to forget about but all affect the max throughput of the router as you say.
Old 03-06-2007, 11:37   #14
shawty
Permanently Banned

Well I am connecting to the router through an ethernet wire, did used to be wireless a while back but found it pretty crap to be honest. And all the stuff you mentioned, I wouldnt have a clue how to change them lol. Still waiting for a reply from belkin.
Old 03-06-2007, 15:43   #15
Pedro1
Inactive

shawty go into your routers configuration menu.

For Belkin try the local ip of 192.168.2.1 in u r address bar.