Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Broadband Medic

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Cable Modem on...and off....and on...

Old 15-07-2004, 21:56   #1
beatsystem
Inactive

Services: 4MB
beatsystem is an unknown quantity at this point
Cable Modem on...and off....and on...

Hi all

Can't find any solution to this anywhere else - gave up on the phone line after a couple of hour long waits, and emails do nothing (sorry guys)..

Anyway, my cable modem connection has been really erratic for the last couple of weeks - I've changed all cables (including the one from cable modem to the wall box - I had one spare) and done the usual resetting the modem malarkey with no improvement.

There's no mention of any problems in my area (Brighton BN1) other than a planned outage a couple of weeks ago, so I'm boggled.

When it's connected it rolls fine, but then it loses the connection (either one or both of the sync & rdy lights go out) and it can be any time from 5mins to an hour before it reconnects.

Can anyone shed any light on this - I'm outta ideas...

Thanks,

beatsystem
beatsystem is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 15-07-2004, 21:56   #2
Tricky
Inactive

Services: $KY+HD - BT Infinity
Tricky is the helpful oneTricky is the helpful oneTricky is the helpful oneTricky is the helpful oneTricky is the helpful oneTricky is the helpful oneTricky is the helpful oneTricky is the helpful oneTricky is the helpful oneTricky is the helpful oneTricky is the helpful oneTricky is the helpful oneTricky is the helpful oneTricky is the helpful oneTricky is the helpful oneTricky is the helpful oneTricky is the helpful one
Re: Cable Modem on...and off....and on...

Could be power supply fault?

EDIT - Welcome to the site...
Tricky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2004, 21:59   #3
Paul K
Inactive

Services: Sky HD + 16Mb ADSL BT Telephone
Paul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered stars
Paul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered stars

You need to stay on the line and get them to check the signal to your connection as it may be a problem outside of your home causing the drop out.
Are those the only lights to go out when it drops the connection?
Paul K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2004, 22:07   #4
beatsystem
Inactive

Services: 4MB
beatsystem is an unknown quantity at this point

Yeah - The power is fine.

The connection drops - the in / out ethernet lights flicker a bit (guess that's just the computer asking the modem whats up and the modem going "I dunno") and it hangs for a couple of minutes before doing its automatic try again...

Is there any way other than the 0845 number to get in touch with tech support ? I really can't face another hour listening to those messages..

Thanks for replying,

beatsystem
beatsystem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2004, 00:36   #5
carlingman
Inactive

carlingman has a bronzed appealcarlingman has a bronzed appeal
carlingman has a bronzed appealcarlingman has a bronzed appealcarlingman has a bronzed appealcarlingman has a bronzed appealcarlingman has a bronzed appealcarlingman has a bronzed appealcarlingman has a bronzed appealcarlingman has a bronzed appealcarlingman has a bronzed appealcarlingman has a bronzed appealcarlingman has a bronzed appealcarlingman has a bronzed appealcarlingman has a bronzed appealcarlingman has a bronzed appealcarlingman has a bronzed appealcarlingman has a bronzed appeal

Hi beatsystem,

Crux of the problem here is from your original post - sync and ready lights drop = NTL Problem.

I guess you have an NTL Home 100 or 120 Ambit.

If your connection does drop out again then it maybe worth pointing your browser to http://192.168.100.1/ and then enter the user id as root and the password as root

From the cable modem config tab you will then be able to see the downstream power levels when it drops the connection.

If the downstream is fluctuating then only way to resolve is via an NTL Engineer visit to adjust this.

Post back the logs if you cannot get through to them.

carlingman is offline   Reply With Quote