Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Weak Indoor Mobile Signal.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin & O2 Mobile Service

Weak Indoor Mobile Signal.

Old 24-09-2020, 11:09   #16
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Re: Weak Indoor Mobile Signal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by japitts View Post
Late to this thread, but also remember EE PAYM users have access to the additional 800Mhz "extended range" coverage that (where it's available) can make a noticeable difference to indoor & rural coverage. Along with having pretty extensive WiFi-calling support.

I guess it depends whether you're after a full-feature mobile service, or a slightly more budget offering.
For all the bells and whistles the mobile operators offer, I think most people still choose based on price first, although the base price for service might be obscured slightly by deals including handsets in many cases. Maybe in a city that’s fine, although the OP’s experience shows that you have to be wary of black spots even in the middle of London. Out in the sticks, for me and my neighbours, researching who has real-world coverage has to be the top priority.

I’ve found https://www.cellmapper.net/map a great resource because it gathers actual signal data from its subscribed users’ phones. As someone has driven right past my door with their phone logging detailed information, not only do I know EE works here despite us being in a very marginal area, I knew which window to stick my phone to earlier this year when I was having to tether it for Zoom meetings. The website’s cell tower data has also helped me buy and position an external antenna (although I’ve only tested by manually holding it in place so far ... fixing it to the eaves is this weekend’s DIY job).
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 24-09-2020, 16:53   #17
Sirius
Grumpy Fecker

Services: Every Weekend
Sirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver bling
Sirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver bling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taf View Post
Since changing to the Vodaphone-VM SIM my daughter has been getting very low signal levels where she used to great rock solid connections with the EE-VM SIM.
That's news to me that they are now using Vodaphone. It was not meant to be happening till next year at the earliest. I am still on the EE-VM service ?

https://www.macmillan.org.uk/
Sirius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2020, 17:09   #18
japitts
cf.geek

Services: V6 with Full-House/Maxit Sports & Movies, 100Mb broadband, Talk Weekends.
japitts has much to be proud ofjapitts has much to be proud ofjapitts has much to be proud ofjapitts has much to be proud ofjapitts has much to be proud ofjapitts has much to be proud ofjapitts has much to be proud ofjapitts has much to be proud ofjapitts has much to be proud ofjapitts has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
For all the bells and whistles the mobile operators offer, I think most people still choose based on price first, although the base price for service might be obscured slightly by deals including handsets in many cases. Maybe in a city that’s fine, although the OP’s experience shows that you have to be wary of black spots even in the middle of London. Out in the sticks, for me and my neighbours, researching who has real-world coverage has to be the top priority.

Indeed so - what frustrates me is when the budget providers market themselves as "we use xyz network so you'll get the best but not pay for it", and not be so up-front about the various corners they've cut. All about expectations and advertising, but all the same.

And yes, CM is an excellent resource - I've been using it for many years
japitts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2020, 14:00   #19
Taf
cf.mega poster

Services: TVXL BBXL Superhub 2ac (wired) 1Tb Tivo
Taf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny star
Taf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirius View Post
That's news to me that they are now using Vodaphone. It was not meant to be happening till next year at the earliest. I am still on the EE-VM service ?
Myself and 2 others in this home have received the new VM-Vodaphone SIMS over the past few weeks, but our son hasn't, so it's a roll-out on odd criteria.
Taf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2020, 00:09   #20
cheekyangus
cf.mega poster

cheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quads

Quote:
Myself and 2 others in this home have received the new VM-Vodaphone SIMS over the past few weeks, but our son hasn't, so it's a roll-out on odd criteria.
What makes you think they are Vodafone? That deal was only agreed in November and wasn't meant to implement until sometime next year, and they've said nothing to say if it was continuing, what with the O2 merger seemingly going ahead.
cheekyangus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2020, 12:44   #21
Taf
cf.mega poster

Services: TVXL BBXL Superhub 2ac (wired) 1Tb Tivo
Taf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny star
Taf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny star

It's all information and confusion

Quote:
Sprint announces Virgin Mobile is shutting down and all current customers will be transferred to Boost Mobile starting in February
Taf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2020, 14:08   #22
Sirius
Grumpy Fecker

Services: Every Weekend

Quote:
It's all information and confusion
Sprint is an American network is it not ? So is the Virgin Mobile in the usa

Indeed more info here to avoid the confusion

https://www.theverge.com/2020/1/7/21...ll%20be%20gone.

Quote:
As part of the remedy process laid out by the Department of Justice for the merger of Sprint and T Mobile, Sprint is transferring its pre-pay mobile brands to Dish. To facilitate this move Virgin Group has agreed with Sprint to transfer existing Virgin Mobile US customers to the Boost brand ahead of the sale to Dish. Following the transfer, Virgin will take back the Virgin Mobile brand for the US. We are delighted that after a period of uncertainty caused by the protracted merger discussions, we have control of our valuable brand once again and will now work on options to relaunch a modern mobile offer in the US.

https://www.macmillan.org.uk/
Sirius is offline   Reply With Quote