Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Britain outside the EU

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Current Affairs

Britain outside the EU

Old 17-06-2021, 13:08   #1411
Sephiroth
Simples

Services: 1 Gbps; Hub 4 MM; ASUS RT-AX88U; Ultimate VOLT. BT Infinity2; Devolo 1200AV
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star
Re: Britain outside the EU

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1andrew1 View Post
It's all good banter whenever the nations play sport so that's unifying. Would love Wales do well after England but it's really Italy's to lose.
That is clutching at straws! Thing is, the Remainers predicted catastrophe that we would be divorcing from our largest market. The came the Pandemic and all markets were sort of destroyed. Building back doesn't need the EU, it needs British (UK) enterprise to go out and get what's out there - everywhere.

Meanwhile, the Remainers were right in what they knew, but didn't dare say. The EU would seek to punish the UK for leaving the EU.

My advice is at your risk.
Sephiroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 17-06-2021, 13:11   #1412
tweetiepooh
Virgin Media Employee

Services: Staff MyRates BB: VM XXL TV: VM XL Phone : VM XL
tweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appeal
tweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sephiroth View Post
.... the best meat for curries.
I like goat for meat curries but do tend to like chicken as it's lighter.
Hogart is nice too being between lamb and mutton. It's good to buy from a butcher with a saw so you can get small pieces with bone in, shoulder is probably top.

Thing is lamb/hogart/mutton varies depending on what the critters eat and since it's mostly outside they eat plants local to their location so source is important and variation gives a nice selection of flavour.
Old 17-06-2021, 13:41   #1413
Sephiroth
Simples

Services: 1 Gbps; Hub 4 MM; ASUS RT-AX88U; Ultimate VOLT. BT Infinity2; Devolo 1200AV
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by tweetiepooh View Post
I like goat for meat curries but do tend to like chicken as it's lighter.
Hogart is nice too being between lamb and mutton. It's good to buy from a butcher with a saw so you can get small pieces with bone in, shoulder is probably top.

Thing is lamb/hogart/mutton varies depending on what the critters eat and since it's mostly outside they eat plants local to their location so source is important and variation gives a nice selection of flavour.
We know "Hogart" as Hogget. We are also blessed with a butcher in Wokingham that supplies Hogget from April to June. Bone in for curry is perfect.

Old 17-06-2021, 13:42   #1414
mrmistoffelees

Services: Many
mrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronze
mrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronze

Quote:
That is clutching at straws! Thing is, the Remainers predicted catastrophe that we would be divorcing from our largest market. The came the Pandemic and all markets were sort of destroyed. Building back doesn't need the EU, it needs British (UK) enterprise to go out and get what's out there - everywhere.

Meanwhile, the Remainers were right in what they knew, but didn't dare say. The EU would seek to punish the UK for leaving the EU.

Sorry, but wrong......

https://www.cableforum.uk/board/show...h#post35981268
Old 17-06-2021, 14:16   #1415
Sephiroth
Simples

Quote:
Valid point, however, surely the primary interest of the EU is to protect the sanctity of the EU?

If they were to weaken it potentially leads to issues inside the bloc

They are going to protect their own, and if that means punishing the UK then that's the route I suspect they will take.
How pleased I am to have been proved wrong! A Remainer (you quoted above), pleading the Remain case by reminding the Leavers that the EU will punish us for leaving. How right we were to have left the EU.

Old 17-06-2021, 14:30   #1416
mrmistoffelees

Services: Many
mrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronze
mrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronze

Quote:
How pleased I am to have been proved wrong! A Remainer (you quoted above), pleading the Remain case by reminding the Leavers that the EU will punish us for leaving. How right we were to have left the EU.

It's fairly obvious to anyone who possesses more than half a brain cell that this would occur, based on the premise in my post that the EU's first responsibility is to protect itself.

However, (and as I've stated many times) I still believe that despite the EU's many faults we would have been better of staying. Nowhere at any time did i state that the only reason we should stay would be because we would be punished otherwise, stop twisting words.
Old 17-06-2021, 15:19   #1417
Sephiroth
Simples

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmistoffelees View Post
It's fairly obvious to anyone who possesses more than half a brain cell that this would occur, based on the premise in my post that the EU's first responsibility is to protect itself.

However, (and as I've stated many times) I still believe that despite the EU's many faults we would have been better of staying. Nowhere at any time did i state that the only reason we should stay would be because we would be punished otherwise, stop twisting words.
I haven't twisted your words. All your posts on the topic are in defence of staying/having stayed in the EU. Why else would you post what you did.

---------- Post added at 14:19 ---------- Previous post was at 14:13 ----------

Well, what have I been telling you? The perfidious French and, as ever the perfidious Irish (politicians/governments, of course).

The EU wants the UK to break up, particularly if caused by Brexit. The Remainers may come up with some crap that it's not the case at all, but reasonable people won't believe the Remainers.

Now Varadkar's at it again - next Irish PM under the current agreement. Paywall link and quote:

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/202...land-comments/

Quote:
Britain criticised Leo Varadkar on Wednesday after the Irish deputy prime minister said that a united Ireland could be achieved in his lifetime.

The former prime minister urged his Fine Gael party to work with a growing middle ground of voters in Northern Ireland to reunify the island, which was divided a century ago this year.

Mr Varadkar, who will take the top job in Irish government again next year under a coalition agreement, said at the annual Fine Gael party conference: "It is a legitimate political aspiration."

He said: "Unification must not be the annexation of Northern Ireland. It means something more, a new state designed together, a new constitution and one that reflects the diversity of a binational or multinational state in which almost a million people are British.

“Like the new South Africa, a rainbow nation, not just orange and green," he added.
Note reference to "a rainbow nation". Fat chance with the Unionists being part of the Varadkar proposed country - at least not without significant civil unrest. Oh, and the stupid marching season ....

Old 17-06-2021, 15:36   #1418
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

I don’t know if you’ve been to Northern Ireland recently, but you don’t have to spend much time there to realise that Varadkar is right (even a broken clock is right twice a day). Stormont as a devolved assembly within RoI is no more strange an idea as its present status within the UK. And despite the British identity of the (narrow) majority of its inhabitants, stepping into Northern Ireland is not the same experience as hopping between any of the other home nations. It is already a very different entity, and exuberant expressions of Britishness by the unionist population really only serve to underline the fact.

Partition was a pragmatic solution to a real problem, but it was a solution driven by the mindset of its time. Nobody would come up with such a solution today. Ireland is Ireland, and the different identities of its people are best given space within Ireland.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2021, 15:49   #1419
Carth
cf.mega poster

Carth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze array
Carth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze array

North & South becoming 'one nation' would sort a lot of the current issues, and probably remove quite a few (brexit related) future ones.

Any chance of it getting done this weekend?
Carth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2021, 15:51   #1420
Sephiroth
Simples

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
I don’t know if you’ve been to Northern Ireland recently, but you don’t have to spend much time there to realise that Varadkar is right (even a broken clock is right twice a day). Stormont as a devolved assembly within RoI is no more strange an idea as its present status within the UK. And despite the British identity of the (narrow) majority of its inhabitants, stepping into Northern Ireland is not the same experience as hopping between any of the other home nations. It is already a very different entity, and exuberant expressions of Britishness by the unionist population really only serve to underline the fact.

Partition was a pragmatic solution to a real problem, but it was a solution driven by the mindset of its time. Nobody would come up with such a solution today. Ireland is Ireland, and the different identities of its people are best given space within Ireland.
I can't be bothered to dig up one of my past posts.
I believe that NI demographics may well lead to to a border poll in the not too distant future. So I definitely concede your point - at least the first paragraph. The second paragraph is a matter for democracy.

Btw, partition of Czechoslovakia is not so far back in time.

Anyway, my point is that the perfidious Varadkar is stirring it up at just the wrong moment and the EU will be laughing up its sleeve as the UK government squirms.

Old 17-06-2021, 16:45   #1421
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

Varadkar is an Anglophobe, no doubt about it. He has proposed a good solution for the wrong reasons. Broken clock.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2021, 21:12   #1422
Pierre
The Dark Satanic Mills

Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars
Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars

Does anyone know where I might purchase a passport?
Old 17-06-2021, 21:30   #1423
TheDaddy
cf.mega pornstar

TheDaddy has a golden auraTheDaddy has a golden auraTheDaddy has a golden aura
TheDaddy has a golden auraTheDaddy has a golden auraTheDaddy has a golden auraTheDaddy has a golden auraTheDaddy has a golden auraTheDaddy has a golden auraTheDaddy has a golden auraTheDaddy has a golden auraTheDaddy has a golden auraTheDaddy has a golden auraTheDaddy has a golden auraTheDaddy has a golden auraTheDaddy has a golden auraTheDaddy has a golden auraTheDaddy has a golden auraTheDaddy has a golden auraTheDaddy has a golden auraTheDaddy has a golden auraTheDaddy has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre View Post
Does anyone know where I might purchase a passport?
Yes there's a thread on it, get in quick though or it'll be gone

To late, hope his details are passed on to the authorities though

Last edited by TheDaddy; 17-06-2021 at 21:40.
TheDaddy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2021, 22:26   #1424
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

Quote:
... but if he was sarcastic as usual ....

In the meantime, it seems that internal trade on the island of Ireland is beginning to settle down - as in more sourceing of product from the Republic into NI. https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/politics/uk_leaves_the_eu

There's no detail in the BBC report as to the nature of the goods being traded south to north, so we can't judge whether or not the Guvmin can let the British Sausage matter drop.

I suspect they won't because of the issue of principle that NI is part of the UK and within its customs territory.

Of course, if that Poots fellow (the one who believes the world is 6,000 years old) doesn't honour the commitment to legalise Irish Gaelic in the North, then the NI government will fail, there will be a new election and the political balance could be altered.
Or whoever succeeds him…

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-essex-57521158
Quote:
Edwin Poots has resigned as DUP leader after three weeks in the job amid an internal party revolt.
His resignation came following a meeting of party officers at the DUP headquarters in east Belfast.
Mr Poots left the meeting shortly after 20:00 BST on Thursday.
In a statement, he said he had asked the party chairman Lord Morrow "to commence an electoral process within the party to allow for a new leader of the DUP to be elected".
He said it had been "a difficult period for the party and the country".
"The Party has asked me to remain in post until my successor is elected. I have conveyed to the chairman my determination to do everything I can to ensure both unionism and Northern Ireland is able to move forward to a stronger place."
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Hugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2021, 22:46   #1425
Sephiroth
Simples

Quote:
Brexit: UK asks EU to extend grace period for chilled meat exports
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-57518980

The fun starts when/if the EU says "No".