Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Telephone extension wall socket removal

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin & O2 Mobile Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Telephone extension wall socket removal

Old 11-10-2011, 20:59   #16
mattyrobin
Inactive

mattyrobin is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Telephone extension wall socket removal

Thanks for that but a bit too technical for me.

When I took the front of the 'TV' box off to the right of the phone box in the bedroom there were two cables coming into it from the cavity wall - 1 being the TV cable and the other being the phone cable which then goes from this TV box into the phone socket on the skirting.

I also noticed that the phone box in the bedroom has far more wires within it connected (although only two connect to the fascia) with small rubber covers on them. This hints to me that this is probably the extension wires connecting off of this incoming wire, sending the extensions to the other boxes in the house.

I therefore reckon that this box in my bedroom is the master and the others are the extensions. I can't be sure cos I don't really know what I'm talking about (hence why I am posting on here) but think that all the clues are adding up to that fact...
mattyrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 11-10-2011, 21:10   #17
progers
Pete

Services: Broadband Up to 100Mb ~ TV Mix & TiVo 1Tb ~ Phone: Talk More Anytime
progers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these parts

They both look like master sockets; the one without the carpet has a BT logo, does this one work? It's probably not connected.
progers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 22:01   #18
mattyrobin
Inactive

Yes - the one in the hall does work & is a NYNEX socket. I've not even tried the one in the bedroom which I want rid of, but looking at the wires entering & exiting it I'd imagine it does work.

Have had a look at the front of the house outside too. From the brown cable box on the front wall - two separate cables of different thicknesses (obviously 1 x TV & 1 x phone) exit upwards & through the wall into my bedroom & into the gubbins shown in my 2nd photo of my bedroom socket.

And two separate cables of different thicknesses (obviously 1 x tv & 1 x phone)exit rightwards & round the front of my house though the wall to the TV point in the lounge

Which could lead me to conclude that both the bedroom & lounge sockets are masters. Therefore I might be able to disconnect the bedroom one after all assuming that these phone systems run in parallel as opposed to series? i.e. independant of each other & not on one big circuitary loop?

---------- Post added at 22:01 ---------- Previous post was at 21:57 ----------

Oh aye - I've just noticed the BT logo on the inside of the cover of the box in the hall. The top half on the frontage of the box does say NYNEX though I promise you. Looks like someones been doing some 'butchering'...
Old 12-10-2011, 15:15   #19
progers
Pete

progers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these parts

Firstly, you need to have an "idc tool" that's the think you use to push the wires into the connectors, available from maplins and other electrical outlets for a few p.

Then, I suggest you pull off the wires from your bedroom socket having plugged a phone in downstairs then phone your number from a mobile to see if the phone rings OK. If it does you're OK, remove the socket but obviously leave the cable alone apart from the two wires that went to the bedroom socket as it probably feeds your other sockets.

If the phone doesn't ring, connect the bedroom socket back up again, then we need a plan b
Old 12-10-2011, 22:31   #20
mattyrobin
Inactive

Thanks Pete

I will also have to take apart all connected wires in their little 'bubble' protection covers to enable me to get the actual socket off the wall & then reconnect them & shove them away under the carpet / floorboards.

I take it that the two main ones I need to focus on however are the two which connect to the faceplate? i.e. disconnect those & the phone downstairs doesn't ring then stop the process right there?
Old 12-10-2011, 22:43   #21
progers
Pete

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattyrobin View Post
Thanks Pete

I will also have to take apart all connected wires in their little 'bubble' protection covers to enable me to get the actual socket off the wall & then reconnect them & shove them away under the carpet / floorboards.

I take it that the two main ones I need to focus on however are the two which connect to the faceplate? i.e. disconnect those & the phone downstairs doesn't ring then stop the process right there?
Absolutely; if your other phones still ring after you have disconnected the two, simply cut the two and tape them up. You'll probably have to cut the socket off as it appears from your photo that a cable runs through the box - easier to cut holes in the box to release the cable. Best of luck!
Old 13-10-2011, 08:36   #22
mattyrobin
Inactive

Pete

You're right - If sucessful I can just cut the box off & feed the rest of the wires through without disconnecting & reconnecting.

I'll get a tool from Maplin later & will let you know how I get on.

Thanks once again for your help
Cheers
Old 13-10-2011, 21:51   #23
mattyrobin
Inactive

success!. Took the two wires from the faceplate & the phone connected to downstairs still rang. Socket gone, wires taped up, hidden under the carpet, objective achieved thanks to all your help esp. Pete. Much appreciated - wouldn't have had the confidence to try it without the help of the forum. cheers!