Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Virgin cuts MOBILE broadband to a fiver

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin & O2 Mobile Service

Virgin cuts MOBILE broadband to a fiver

Old 26-12-2008, 17:54   #46
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
Re: Virgin cuts MOBILE broadband to a fiver

No, the software is built into the dongle. It should Autorun when you plug it into a PC

---------- Post added at 16:54 ---------- Previous post was at 16:50 ----------

http://www.virginmobile.com/vm/gener...d.howdoi.sm374
Old 26-12-2008, 22:16   #47
ufitm

Services: VM VIP package and DTT freeview

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenMcr View Post
No, the software is built into the dongle. It should Autorun when you plug it into a PC

---------- Post added at 16:54 ---------- Previous post was at 16:50 ----------

http://www.virginmobile.com/vm/gener...d.howdoi.sm374
thanks it was me doing something wrong regrads ufitm
Old 17-02-2009, 21:16   #48
DaggaDagga
Inactive

Services: Royal Mail snail mail. No telly. Wind-up gramophone. Posts: 125,837.56
DaggaDagga has a brilliant futureDaggaDagga has a brilliant futureDaggaDagga has a brilliant futureDaggaDagga has a brilliant futureDaggaDagga has a brilliant futureDaggaDagga has a brilliant futureDaggaDagga has a brilliant futureDaggaDagga has a brilliant futureDaggaDagga has a brilliant futureDaggaDagga has a brilliant futureDaggaDagga has a brilliant futureDaggaDagga has a brilliant future

Does anyone know whether Virgin are doing a similar PAYG broadband offer?

I already have a laptop with a 3G modem built in. I just need a sim. I'm not formally employed, so I'd probably fail a credit check. I use Three £10/month PAYG at the moment, but would obviously prefer £5/month.

Would Virgin offer me the £5/month package on a PAYG basis if I fail the credit check after applying? Would they disconnect my home services if I fail their credit check?
DaggaDagga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2009, 22:17   #49
Stephen
Bah Humbug!!

Services: Sky Q 2Tb, Sky Q mini, boxsets and Sports & Movies HD, Sky Fibre unlimited
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star

No PAYG only the £5 a month qith 1Gig downloads for existing customers or the £15 with 3Gig download limit.
Old 17-02-2009, 22:31   #50
WHISTLED
Inactive

WHISTLED is a pillar of societyWHISTLED is a pillar of societyWHISTLED is a pillar of societyWHISTLED is a pillar of societyWHISTLED is a pillar of societyWHISTLED is a pillar of societyWHISTLED is a pillar of societyWHISTLED is a pillar of societyWHISTLED is a pillar of societyWHISTLED is a pillar of societyWHISTLED is a pillar of societyWHISTLED is a pillar of societyWHISTLED is a pillar of societyWHISTLED is a pillar of societyWHISTLED is a pillar of societyWHISTLED is a pillar of societyWHISTLED is a pillar of societyWHISTLED is a pillar of societyWHISTLED is a pillar of society

Its a shame we cant use it on our company laptops!
WHISTLED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2009, 19:01   #51
deathtrap3000
Inactive

Services: V+ HD XL BT Infinity 80mbps
deathtrap3000 will become famous soon enoughdeathtrap3000 will become famous soon enoughdeathtrap3000 will become famous soon enough

Ive just signed up to this deal. £5 a month for the next year. Not bad. Total cost = £64.88. I should have my dongle tomorrow.
Last day to get the dongle for free as well.
deathtrap3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2009, 13:51   #52
HD462
Inactive

Services: Digital Cable TV V+ Freeview Virgin Phone 10Mb Broadband Home WiFi Network Virgin Mobile BB
HD462 will become famous soon enoughHD462 will become famous soon enoughHD462 will become famous soon enough

I just got one yesterday too. In fact I'm typing this using it while sat on a bus in the yard at work in my lunch break. Getting a HSDPA connection here, but at home it'll only connect at GPRS speeds. Which I wasn't expecting it to connect at all, all the coverage map says no coverage where we live, which I find strange as we live in the town centre, yet I'm on the edge of town here. But I didn't get it to use at home, I have fixed broadband there, I got it for occasional use when out and about.
HD462 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2009, 17:57   #53
jamieclarko
Inactive

jamieclarko is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aragorn View Post
Hmm, that's quite tempting to replace my mother's dialup! She would never use 1GB/month, so I could get a £5/m USB stick for her to browse the internet/read email on her desktop - assuming there's a good 3G signal. (which the VM site claims there is)
Dont listen to them more than likely there's no signal at all i signed up for a 12month contract with t-mobile mobile broadband a few months back, they happily cancelled it though when they realised there signal checker is crap and works out how good your signal would be if it was just a feild with nothing in the way blocking it!
jamieclarko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2009, 18:39   #54
benboy
Inactive

benboy is an unknown quantity at this point

Would any of you folks know if VM mobile broadband piggybacks on the 3 network?

Its just that there coverage checker is good for me, but the t-mobile one is a bit pants.
benboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2009, 18:41   #55
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars

No it's T-Mobile (although they and 3 have now entered a mast sharing agreement so who knows which it actually uses now)!
Old 26-02-2009, 18:51   #56
benboy
Inactive

benboy is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Re: Virgin cuts MOBILE broadband to a fiver

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenMcr View Post
No it's T-Mobile (although they and 3 have now entered a mast sharing agreement so who knows which it actually uses now)!
Thanks Ben That was along the lines i was thinking with the mast sharing idea.
benboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2009, 23:44   #57
HD462
Inactive

Services: Digital Cable TV V+ Freeview Virgin Phone 10Mb Broadband Home WiFi Network Virgin Mobile BB
HD462 will become famous soon enoughHD462 will become famous soon enoughHD462 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by deathtrap3000 View Post
Last day to get the dongle for free as well.
They've now extended the free dongle offer until the end of June, I just noticed this on the website:

http://allyours.virginmedia.com/html...d_tariffs.html

"1GB Mobile Broadband Media exclusive:Free USB modem until 30th June 2009 (normal price £25). Offers available to new and existing Virgin Media customers. Offers: (1) 1 GB for £5 per month; and (2) 1 GB for £10 per month. Eligibility: Offer 1 available with either Virgin Media cable broadband size: L or XL or National Unlimited Broadband and Talk Anytime (Bundle 1). Offer 2 available with either Virgin Media cable broadband size: M or National Unlimited Broadband and Talk Evenings and Weekends (Bundle 2) or National Unlimited Broadband."
HD462 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2009, 00:04   #58
deathtrap3000
Inactive

Services: V+ HD XL BT Infinity 80mbps
deathtrap3000 will become famous soon enoughdeathtrap3000 will become famous soon enoughdeathtrap3000 will become famous soon enough

Yeh ive just seen. I thought they would extend it again.
deathtrap3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2009, 10:23   #59
AndyCambs
cf.mega poster

Services: Virgin Media XL Broadband XL Virgin Mobile V+ installed! and a happy Virgin Media customer
AndyCambs has reached the bronze age
AndyCambs has reached the bronze ageAndyCambs has reached the bronze ageAndyCambs has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by HD462 View Post
They've now extended the free dongle offer until the end of June, I just noticed this on the website:

http://allyours.virginmedia.com/html...d_tariffs.html

"1GB Mobile Broadband Media exclusive:Free USB modem until 30th June 2009 (normal price £25). Offers available to new and existing Virgin Media customers. Offers: (1) 1 GB for £5 per month; and (2) 1 GB for £10 per month. Eligibility: Offer 1 available with either Virgin Media cable broadband size: L or XL or National Unlimited Broadband and Talk Anytime (Bundle 1). Offer 2 available with either Virgin Media cable broadband size: M or National Unlimited Broadband and Talk Evenings and Weekends (Bundle 2) or National Unlimited Broadband."
Strange - that page says £20 per month but rising to £25 per month?
AndyCambs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2009, 10:45   #60
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Yes - because its counting the standalone BB L offer - which is £15 for six months and then £20 per month + £5 dongle price

If you got it with the BB L + Phone offer it would £21 per month rising to £30 after 3 months