Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | SMS "Message Not Sent" - Never Sends Text Messages

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin & O2 Mobile Service

SMS "Message Not Sent" - Never Sends Text Messages

Old 09-10-2011, 13:33   #1
zekeisaszekedoes
Permanently Banned

Services: 30Mb Broadband (XL), 2TB TiVo (M+), Samsung Galaxy Ace (M), POTS Landline (M).
zekeisaszekedoes has a reputation beyond reputezekeisaszekedoes has a reputation beyond reputezekeisaszekedoes has a reputation beyond reputezekeisaszekedoes has a reputation beyond reputezekeisaszekedoes has a reputation beyond reputezekeisaszekedoes has a reputation beyond reputezekeisaszekedoes has a reputation beyond reputezekeisaszekedoes has a reputation beyond reputezekeisaszekedoes has a reputation beyond reputezekeisaszekedoes has a reputation beyond reputezekeisaszekedoes has a reputation beyond reputezekeisaszekedoes has a reputation beyond reputezekeisaszekedoes has a reputation beyond repute
SMS "Message Not Sent" - Never Sends Text Messages

Unless my Samsung Galaxy Ace is connected to WiFi, SMS messages just will not send.

I've had this problem since I got the phone before I started installing apps and widgets. Because I had SMS working via WiFi I assumed the issue had gone but that is not the case.

Even with a strong signal on 3G, nothing will send. Instant failure with "Message not sent" notification. Cleared cache settings, checked message centre number, even tried installing Handcent. No joy.

After a little time spent researching the problem some have said it's a SIM issue. I have no idea and to be honest unlike with PCs I don't want to spend hours messing around with things, so if anyone has ideas on the matter that'd be great.
zekeisaszekedoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 09-10-2011, 16:22   #2
devilincarnate
Still REIGNING

devilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny star
devilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny star
Re: SMS "Message Not Sent" - Never Sends Text Messages

Have you tried this firstly?

Quote:
How do I find and store the Service Centre Number?
To see what each step looks like on your phone, just move your mouse over the text and check out the image.

1. All you need to do is
2. From the main display, Tap on the Messaging icon
3. The messaging menu will now be displayed
4. Now, Tap on the Menu key
5. A sub menu will now appear
6. Now, Tap on the Settings icon
7. The message settings menu will now be displayed
8. Tap and slide upwards to scroll down, until Message centre is displayed
9. Tap on the Message centre field
10. The current message centre number will now appear
11. To delete the current number, press on the delete icon
12. To enter a + symbol , Tap and hold the 0 key
13. Using the on screen keypad , Tap in the service centre number 447958879890
14. Once entered, Tap on the OK icon
15. And that's it! You'll now be able to find and store the service centre number
http://www.virginmobile.com/vm/gener...submit+buttons
devilincarnate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 20:14   #3
StuN
Inactive

StuN is on a distinguished roadStuN is on a distinguished road

SMS messages use the 2G signal, not WiFi or 3G. The 2G & 3G transmitters have nothing to do with each other. Have you tried setting up on national roaming?
StuN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 10:27   #4
Pauls9
Inactive

Services: VM TVM HD, BBL, phone; BT phone; Freeview.
Pauls9 has reached the bronze age
Pauls9 has reached the bronze agePauls9 has reached the bronze agePauls9 has reached the bronze agePauls9 has reached the bronze agePauls9 has reached the bronze agePauls9 has reached the bronze age

Take the phone in to your local shop and get them to sort it for you?
Pauls9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 11:46   #5
zekeisaszekedoes
Permanently Banned

Services: 30Mb Broadband (XL), 2TB TiVo (M+), Samsung Galaxy Ace (M), POTS Landline (M).
zekeisaszekedoes has a reputation beyond reputezekeisaszekedoes has a reputation beyond reputezekeisaszekedoes has a reputation beyond reputezekeisaszekedoes has a reputation beyond reputezekeisaszekedoes has a reputation beyond reputezekeisaszekedoes has a reputation beyond reputezekeisaszekedoes has a reputation beyond reputezekeisaszekedoes has a reputation beyond reputezekeisaszekedoes has a reputation beyond reputezekeisaszekedoes has a reputation beyond reputezekeisaszekedoes has a reputation beyond reputezekeisaszekedoes has a reputation beyond reputezekeisaszekedoes has a reputation beyond repute

Nope, apparently it's a flaw with Gingerbread update. The only way to make SMS work is either be on WiFi, or if not on WiFi disable 3G by deselecting the "Use packet data" option in the mobile networks part of the settings menu.

This is exactly the sort of reason I wanted an iPhone... everything just works, and I don't have to consider using this to fix stupid problems with fundamental parts of the OS.
Old 10-10-2011, 19:09   #6
zekeisaszekedoes
Permanently Banned

Just upgraded to the phone to Android 2.3.7, the Cyanogen 7.1 version with a lot of quality features by default. Great OS, but the same bloody SMS problem persists. I still can't quite believe it... SMS is as fundamental to a phone as making calls.