Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | 500mb Question

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service

500mb Question

Old 18-08-2019, 20:43   #211
roughbeast
cf.mega poster

Services: Vodafone/City Fibre Gigafast 900
roughbeast has reached the bronze age
roughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze age
Re: 500mb Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfman View Post
You have more faith in Virgin than I do

I expect they’ll try to charge you (but hope they don’t). You’ve got reasonable arguments to make if they didn’t text you to say you’ve hit the threshold.
Fair point.
roughbeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 18-08-2019, 20:43   #212
Mythica
cf.geek

Mythica has reached the bronze age
Mythica has reached the bronze ageMythica has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by roughbeast View Post
If my mobile bill is £0.00 with unlimited data then my Fair Use allowance is 0MB. How do you apply 0MB? In the real world, that means FUP doesn't affect my account?

Given that most of my time abroad has now been accounted for and there is no charge, what catch-up is going to haunt me later? My detailed / itemised bill showed that each item cost £0.00 right up to the 12th August bill refresh date. Also, I got no data warnings from Virgin Mobile. My bill was £0.00. The three days since then have already exceeded your suggested allowanceof £13.75. All items, even ones of 2GB+ on our last day in Greece are shown as £0.00. There is no legal way of changing that! It has been declared. This is not a case of some non-EU network operator in Asia or Africa informing Virgin of usage and costs a few months later. The usage and cost have already been declared, i.e. £0.00.
I offered some friendly advice backed up with links. If you don't want to take that advice, that's fine.
Mythica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2019, 20:58   #213
roughbeast
cf.mega poster

roughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mythica View Post
I offered some friendly advice backed up with links. If you don't want to take that advice, that's fine.

Your advice doesn't stack up. The facts, so far, don't support your view.

How can I take your advice anyway? What is done is done. We are at home making use of our VM broadband service.

I was sold an unlimited SIM with no visible ceiling, ( Not unless you really search for one and scrape the barrel) and no data warnings whilst caning my connection just like I could have at home.

Last edited by roughbeast; 18-08-2019 at 21:06.
Old 18-08-2019, 21:03   #214
Mythica
cf.geek

Quote:
Your advice doesn't stack up. The facts, so far, don't support your view.

How can I take your advice anyway? What is done is done. We are at home making us of our VM broadband service.

I was sold an unlimited SIM with no visible ceiling, ( Not unless you really search for one and scrape the barrel) and no data warnings whilst caning my connection just like I could have at home.
The facts are that fair use applies to roam like home which you agreed to the terms and conditions I linked to when you took out the ultimate oomph bundle.

The facts fully support you don't have unlimited data when roaming. You not believing the facts is your problem, not mine.
Old 18-08-2019, 21:12   #215
General Maximus
Ran Away

Services: phone + 1gbit BB + SkyQ
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze

Quote:
I'm not sure why people in life seem to want to make things difficult.

https://www.virginmedia.com/help/vir...-european-zone.

"You can now use your UK allowance of minutes, texts and data anywhere in the EU, just as you would at home – subject to fair use limits."

https://www.virginmedia.com/content/...conditions.pdf E-11-1 for the oomph bundles.

"11. Roaming 1. Our mobile services may be made available to you in countries outside of the UK if we or the partner who provides us with our mobile network have roaming agreements in place. Please check your roaming settings via your account online and ensure that data is turned on via the mobile handset. If you are roaming in the EU, you also need to comply with our roam like home policy. The costs for outside of allowance for EU use and additional services that allow roaming outside of the EU are set out in our tariff table or are available from our team. Overseas network operators may bill us some time after you use the mobile services – sometimes up to three months later, accordingly there may be a delay in when such charges show up on your bill. Please be aware that when you use your phone outside of the EU charges will apply."

"Roam like home

the use of your inclusive minutes, texts and data allowance in your airtime plan while roaming in the EU. Fair Use Policy applies https://store.virginmedia.com/the-legal-stuff."

I am not sure what the point of that was. I have quoted all that previously and as I have already stated it does not and cannot apply to the unlimited sim tariff. There is no allowance to use or exceed and there is not a fair usage policy in place either. If have previously quoted it but if you click on your link for the Roam like Home T&C's and help you have:

He has no allowance, there is no fair usage policy and he cannot run out.

He hasn't received a message or text informing him he has gone over his allowance because there isn't one for him to go over. In order for the FUP calculator you keep referencing to apply he has to have a monthly allowance and there isn't one. I have read through the extensive pdf on the legal stuff page for sims and mobiles and nowhere does it reference any kind of FUP, allowance, cap or however else you want to describe it for the unlimited sim.
General Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2019, 21:25   #216
Mythica
cf.geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Maximus View Post
I am not sure what the point of that was. I have quoted all that previously and as I have already stated it does not and cannot apply to the unlimited sim tariff. There is no allowance to use or exceed and there is not a fair usage policy in place either. If have previously quoted it but if you click on your link for the Roam like Home T&C's and help you have:

He has no allowance, there is no fair usage policy and he cannot run out.

He hasn't received a message or text informing him he has gone over his allowance because there isn't one for him to go over. In order for the FUP calculator you keep referencing to apply he has to have a monthly allowance and there isn't one. I have read through the extensive pdf on the legal stuff page for sims and mobiles and nowhere does it reference any kind of FUP, allowance, cap or however else you want to describe it for the unlimited sim.
He has an allowance, an unlimited allowance. Using this allowance for roam like home brings fair usage policy into place. To see what this is, you use the calculator. As he is on the ultimate oomph bundle which contains the unlimited sim, to get the cost of the sim, you use the cost of how much it would be to buy the sim which is £32 then you click on the button which states you have an unlimited data. This equates to 13.75GB

https://store.virginmedia.com/FUP-Calculator.html

I'm not sure why we are still going around in circles. Those are the facts. Why is there a place to click "I have unlimited data" on the calculator if there is no allowance to go over with unlimited?
Old 19-08-2019, 08:20   #217
roughbeast
cf.mega poster

Quote:
He has an allowance, an unlimited allowance. Using this allowance for roam like home brings fair usage policy into place. To see what this is, you use the calculator. As he is on the ultimate oomph bundle which contains the unlimited sim, to get the cost of the sim, you use the cost of how much it would be to buy the sim which is £32 then you click on the button which states you have an unlimited data. This equates to 13.75GB

I'm not sure why we are still going around in circles. Those are the facts. Why is there a place to click "I have unlimited data" on the calculator if there is no allowance to go over with unlimited?
At what point does a punter like me, buying into the Oomph package, get to discover that £32 is the actual cost of the SIM component of the £99 or £89 we pay monthly? I haven't seen that figure in any of the paperwork I received. I didn't buy the SIM as a separate item. Its cost is embedded in the cost of the total package. Using your calculation full kahoona TV, landline and 500Mb broadband cost me only £57 a month! My bill has said every month that I have had this SIM that it costs me nothing. That is the amount to put in the calculator. I think you might have to face the fact, that unlimited really means unlimited and that I can cane my SIM connection as much as I want at home an in the EU.

There is no indication in my billing so far that I am wrong. However, I will apologise in full, for not accepting your view, if I turn out to be wrong some months hence.
Old 19-08-2019, 08:29   #218
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze

Roughbeast I think you are taking this a bit personally. Wait and see what happens when the bill comes in.

Mythica isn’t setting out to be argumentative, and neither do I, but the EU directive does allow for charging above a calculated limit and it’s buried in Virgin’s T&Cs (although I accept not apparent from how it’s bundled).

https://europa.eu/youreurope/citizen...s/index_en.htm

I think you’ve a reasonable argument to make to them especially if they’ve not text you to say you’ve hit the limit.
jfman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2019, 08:54   #219
Mythica
cf.geek

Quote:
At what point does a punter like me, buying into the Oomph package, get to discover that £32 is the actual cost of the SIM component of the £99 or £89 we pay monthly? I haven't seen that figure in any of the paperwork I received. I didn't buy the SIM as a separate item. Its cost is embedded in the cost of the total package. Using your calculation full kahoona TV, landline and 500Mb broadband cost me only £57 a month! My bill has said every month that I have had this SIM that it costs me nothing. That is the amount to put in the calculator. I think you might have to face the fact, that unlimited really means unlimited and that I can cane my SIM connection as much as I want at home an in the EU.

There is no indication in my billing so far that I am wrong. However, I will apologise in full, for not accepting your view, if I turn out to be wrong some months hence.
The first mistake you're making is saying the sim cost you nothing. The sim is bundled into the cost of £139 (£99 discounted) doesn't mean it cost you nothing, just means you aren't seeing the cost of the sim because of the way it's bundled. Also you don't have this magical sim, it's the sim you can buy for £32. Forget you have the bundle and you had the unlimited sim, what are you going to put into this link?

Roam like home on any sim comes with FUP, that's obvious to see, those denying that aren't reading correctly. I said check your bill based on the facts above and keep checking it but please don't be under the illusion that you have unlimited data when roaming, you don't.
Old 19-08-2019, 11:18   #220
roughbeast
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Roughbeast I think you are taking this a bit personally. Wait and see what happens when the bill comes in.

Mythica isn’t setting out to be argumentative, and neither do I, but the EU directive does allow for charging above a calculated limit and it’s buried in Virgin’s T&Cs (although I accept not apparent from how it’s bundled).

https://europa.eu/youreurope/citizen...s/index_en.htm

I think you’ve a reasonable argument to make to them especially if they’ve not text you to say you’ve hit the limit.
I'm not taking this personally at all. I'm just confused by the clear difference of view here. However, I have been berated for ignoring sound advise, when nothing tells me, so far, that that advise is sound.

I have decided to contact Virgin Mobile, hoping that this does not stir up a hornet's nest. My case will not be unusual surely, given that regular punters will, like me, have taken 'unlimited' at face value. I'm using their text facility for consultation, so I await a response.

Last edited by roughbeast; 19-08-2019 at 11:26.
Old 19-08-2019, 11:27   #221
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze

Best of luck with it. Happy to help you formulate a formal complaint, if required.
jfman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2019, 11:38   #222
roughbeast
cf.mega poster

Smile Re: 500mb Question

Quote:
Best of luck with it. Happy to help you formulate a formal complaint, if required.
Thanks. You can count on it.
Old 19-08-2019, 11:47   #223
Mythica
cf.geek

Quote:
I'm not taking this personally at all. I'm just confused by the clear difference of view here. However, I have been berated for ignoring sound advise, when nothing tells me, so far, that that advise is sound.

I have decided to contact Virgin Mobile, hoping that this does not stir up a hornet's nest. My case will not be unusual surely, given that regular punters will, like me, have taken 'unlimited' at face value. I'm using their text facility for consultation, so I await a response.
When you buy the unlimited sim for £32 and use the FUP calculator, what happens? Why do you think your unlimited is more unlimited than the £32 unlimited?

Its unlimited at home. When roaming you have to abide by the FUP which is in the terms and conditions which were linked to. If you don't get charged, brilliant. I'm more annoyed at having gone to the effort of finding and linking the terms of use only for you to say no sound advice has been given.

"You can now use your UK allowance of minutes, texts and data anywhere in the EU, just as you would at home – subject to fair use limits."

If I'm being totally honest, I'm not sure how much simpler the above can get.
Old 19-08-2019, 13:16   #224
Paul
Dr Pepper Addict
Cable Forum Team

Services: Flextel SIP : Sky Mobile : Sky Q TV : VM BB (1000 Mbps) : Aquiss FTTP (330 Mbps)
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars

I think thats enough of the arguments now.

The answer will be known in the next couple of months, either he will get charged, or he wont - continually arguing about it here wont change anything.

Baby, I was born this way.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2019, 14:41   #225
roughbeast
cf.mega poster

Quote:
When you buy the unlimited sim for £32 and use the FUP calculator, what happens? Why do you think your unlimited is more unlimited than the £32 unlimited?

Its unlimited at home. When roaming you have to abide by the FUP which is in the terms and conditions which were linked to. If you don't get charged, brilliant. I'm more annoyed at having gone to the effort of finding and linking the terms of use only for you to say no sound advice has been given.

If I'm being totally honest, I'm not sure how much simpler the above can get.
I have just spoken to an operative, having got fed up waiting for a text response, and have been told that the upper daily limit for 'unlimited' SIMs of the kind I have, (paid for through a broadband deal), is 100GB a day! Not even my family managed to exceed that! I asked the OP where the limit is written down. He said in roaming FAQs in my mobile account. I haven't found it yet, but will keep looking. You would think it would be more obvious than that!

So, as it stands, the OP's answer does account for the lack of charges so far. He agreed when I suggested that the 100GB figure was arrived at because a line had to be drawn somewhere and only a maniac would exceed that. He also agreed that the FUP calculator does not apply to this situation.

BTW There has been discussion elsewhere.

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5...ighlight/false

Last edited by Paul M; 19-08-2019 at 16:39. Reason: I said enough of the arguments, dont push it.