Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Netflix/Streaming Services

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service

Netflix/Streaming Services
Closed Thread

Old 03-12-2019, 21:11   #6901
Legendkiller2k
cf.mega poster

Services: Giganet broadband 1gbs, netflix, Peacock,HBOMAX, kodi
Legendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of Quads
Re: Netflix/Streaming Services

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozsat View Post
The Palace games looks good here to even though only HD.

The Burnley game is also in HDR on some devices.
Yeah is HDR on my LGtv.
Advertisement
Old 04-12-2019, 08:19   #6902
DVD Cinema
cf.addict

DVD Cinema has a spectacular aura about themDVD Cinema has a spectacular aura about themDVD Cinema has a spectacular aura about themDVD Cinema has a spectacular aura about them

Games on are only 25fps in HD V6 box though and stutter. They are 50fps on Apple TV and Fire Stick and look impressive, if not the stream.
Old 04-12-2019, 09:53   #6903
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by denphone View Post
l agree with much of what you say as for several years Sky has been adapting their strategy in a changing marketplace with far more competition now then there was then and part of that strategy is less reliance on sport and more diversification in producing high quality content.
Agreed. I have been saying for a long time that Sky need to produce more content of their own instead of relying on (mainly American) content produced by others. Content is everything, and this, I believe, is the only way to fight the global streamers and survive in the future world.

---------- Post added at 09:53 ---------- Previous post was at 09:47 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfman View Post
Of course the untimely demise of linear isn’t the only um, bold, prediction on the forum. He has, in my view mistakenly, consistently underestimated the ability of the incumbents in the pay tv market to react. In the past consistently the mantra was about how companies are going to come in and steamroller over the top.

When in practice many of us have said that the incumbents, with their huge existing revenues, profits and customer base, are well placed to adapt to the future regardless of how that looks.
Of course they can adapt, but a continuation of scheduled linear channels as now are not the way.

The BBC i-Player, as an example, is good enough for the present, but ultimately, content will be available through a relatively small number of big streamers. Something like Britbox will be where we will find most of our UK programmes in the future.
Old 04-12-2019, 10:02   #6904
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post

The BBC i-Player, as an example, is good enough for the present, but ultimately, content will be available through a relatively small number of big streamers. Something like Britbox will be where we will find most of our UK programmes in the future.
l doubt that Britbox will last that long but you know that anyway..
Old 04-12-2019, 13:05   #6905
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze

Quote:
Agreed. I have been saying for a long time that Sky need to produce more content of their own instead of relying on (mainly American) content produced by others. Content is everything, and this, I believe, is the only way to fight the global streamers and survive in the future world.

---------- Post added at 09:53 ---------- Previous post was at 09:47 ----------

Of course they can adapt, but a continuation of scheduled linear channels as now are not the way.

I fail to see how continuation of scheduled linear broadcasts can be described as "not the way" when since the development of Sky+ in the UK (2002?) and cable "on demand" consumers have had the option of not watching live linear scheduled television yet still they do.
Old 04-12-2019, 14:48   #6906
Legendkiller2k
cf.mega poster

Legendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of Quads

Quote:
Who knows regarding Britbox especially as you don't need to pay the tv tax for it.
Old 04-12-2019, 15:03   #6907
oliver1948uk
cf.geek

Services: VM Mix TV, 200 internet, basic house phone. Also Virgin mobile phone
oliver1948uk has a fine set of Quadsoliver1948uk has a fine set of Quadsoliver1948uk has a fine set of Quadsoliver1948uk has a fine set of Quadsoliver1948uk has a fine set of Quadsoliver1948uk has a fine set of Quadsoliver1948uk has a fine set of Quadsoliver1948uk has a fine set of Quadsoliver1948uk has a fine set of Quadsoliver1948uk has a fine set of Quadsoliver1948uk has a fine set of Quadsoliver1948uk has a fine set of Quadsoliver1948uk has a fine set of Quadsoliver1948uk has a fine set of Quads

I agree that whether we like it or not streaming will continue to increase at the expense of linear channels.

What I disagree with is the inference that this will be better.

After a hard day, it is relaxing to sit down and within a few clicks be watching favourite pre-recorded episodes of series previously easily set up waiting for you on your hard disk, sometimes giving a pleasant surprise because new episodes have magically appeared. All this at a fixed monthly rate negotiated about once a year.

No messing with different inputs and sticks. No weighing up the contents of one against the other. No searching for the cheapest code. No wading through rubbish looking for what you want to watch. No worrying over the monthly cost of it all. To me, this is hell though I accept others a actually want this.
Old 04-12-2019, 16:35   #6908
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfman View Post
I fail to see how continuation of scheduled linear broadcasts can be described as "not the way" when since the development of Sky+ in the UK (2002?) and cable "on demand" consumers have had the option of not watching live linear scheduled television yet still they do.
Frankly, old chap, I don't think you'd see it if it was biting your leg off.

There's still a sizeable chunk of the population who don't have smart tvs, Sky, Virgin, BT or Talk Talk and so for them, on demand viewing is not easily available.

It's the trend you should be watching, not current numbers.

---------- Post added at 16:35 ---------- Previous post was at 16:30 ----------

Quote:
Given the stink that was created when Virgin took off the UKTV channels, I wouldn't be so sure, Den. Britbox really do need to add new original programmes on a reguler basis to become a force to be reckoned with, though.

I can't see myself subscribing for the foreseeable future given that new material will not be very prominent for a while.
Old 04-12-2019, 17:42   #6909
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze

Quote:
Frankly, old chap, I don't think you'd see it if it was biting your leg off.

There's still a sizeable chunk of the population who don't have smart tvs, Sky, Virgin, BT or Talk Talk and so for them, on demand viewing is not easily available.

It's the trend you should be watching, not current numbers.
It’s your misunderstanding of trends that’s causing the problem and the assumption they must trend to 100%.

I’ve cited an example before where 3/5 years of iPhone sales upwards trend continuing results in 100% market penetration of the iPhone after about 10 years. A ridiculous notion, I’m sure you’d agree.

Consider internet penetration. Still not 100%.

https://www.statista.com/statistics/...t-penetration/

Mobiles. Not 100%.

https://www.statista.com/statistics/...ion-in-the-uk/

Unfortunately you have confirmation bias so can’t see past the future YOU would like and have been posting about since 2014. Objectivity is so far gone.

I barely watch television, and rarely linear. I don’t have a case I feel passionately about, as you clearly do.

However objectivity tells me that modifying consumer behaviour in the final 20% is much, much harder than capturing the low hanging fruit.
Old 04-12-2019, 18:12   #6910
Bofrok
cf.addict

Services: VM TV, Broadband, Phone and Mobile
Bofrok is just really niceBofrok is just really niceBofrok is just really niceBofrok is just really niceBofrok is just really niceBofrok is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legendkiller2k View Post
Yeah is HDR on my LGtv.
That's interesting Legendkiller2k, I have an LG set and the picture quality on the Palace game was far superior than that for the Burnley game. I didn't think to check the picture quality but it did look like HDR whereas Burnley/City was barely HD until later in the second half.

Note: That's not forgetting the focus problems I mentioned in the Coming Soon thread yesterday.
Old 04-12-2019, 18:28   #6911
Legendkiller2k
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bofrok View Post
That's interesting Legendkiller2k, I have an LG set and the picture quality on the Palace game was far superior than that for the Burnley game. I didn't think to check the picture quality but it did look like HDR whereas Burnley/City was barely HD until later in the second half.

Note: That's not forgetting the focus problems I mentioned in the Coming Soon thread yesterday.
Was you using the LG app or the junk v6 app?
Old 04-12-2019, 18:34   #6912
Bofrok
cf.addict

Services: VM TV, Broadband, Phone and Mobile
Bofrok is just really niceBofrok is just really niceBofrok is just really niceBofrok is just really niceBofrok is just really niceBofrok is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legendkiller2k View Post
Was you using the LG app or the junk v6 app?
The LG app, still on the original Tivo at the moment.
Old 04-12-2019, 18:37   #6913
Chad
cf.mega poster

Services: SKY Family, SKY Broadband Unlimited, YouView, Netflix, Amazon Instant Video, Boxnation
Chad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny star
Chad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny star

https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/ne...customers/amp/

Netflix end free month trials in the UK. Checked the Netflix website and you can only join by entering straight into a subscription with them.
Old 04-12-2019, 18:47   #6914
Legendkiller2k
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bofrok View Post
The LG app, still on the original Tivo at the moment.
Defo seemed UHD on mine, mind you i didn't check the quality though and only had quick look at it to see what it was like.
Nividia shield was defo UHD as that's one i watched it properly on.

---------- Post added at 18:47 ---------- Previous post was at 18:46 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad View Post
https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/ne...customers/amp/

Netflix end free month trials in the UK. Checked the Netflix website and you can only join by entering straight into a subscription with them.
Starting to push their luck a bit now one thinks.
Old 04-12-2019, 21:46   #6915
horno46
cf.member

horno46 is an unknown quantity at this point

Anybody else finding the need to reboot the V6 box frequently in order to get Netflix to connect?
Closed Thread