Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Price rises this year.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media News Discussion
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Price rises this year.

Old 13-02-2023, 19:22   #136
peanut
NUTS !!

peanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny star
peanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny star
Re: Price rises this year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardCoulter View Post
Punctuation is important (especially to those with some forms of disability).

These days I sometimes make errors when posting, which is why all my posts are subsequently checked by a facilitator.

Also, shall we eat, fathe has a totally different meaning without it
Might need to learn to spell or have a moan with your 'facilitator'.
Old 13-02-2023, 20:16   #137
nomadking
cf.mega poster

Services: Virgin Media TV&BB 350Mb, V6 STB
nomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze array
nomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze array

Can't help but get the feeling that the rises by the various businesses are simply because their T&Cs allow it, rather than a need to cover any increased costs.
nomadking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2023, 21:15   #138
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

RichardCoulter has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by crossbow1956 View Post
Think i may cancel virgin media & try now tv broadband & phone 30meg bb + call anytime phone + entertainment & cinema 12 month contract = £37.00 per month sounds a good deal ?
Yes it does. One of my carers mentioned she'd moved over to Now as it was much better than Virgin - this sounds like the same deal

---------- Post added at 21:15 ---------- Previous post was at 21:13 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by techguyone View Post
Do you only have DSL where you are? 30 megs a bit on the low side
It's plenty for a lot of people though.
RichardCoulter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2023, 09:51   #139
nialli
cf.geek

Services: Sky Stream, Sky broadband
nialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quads

I would imagine that all of the price rise notifications have to go out by the end of this month so that VM customers have their 30 days to cancel before all remaining contracts get hit by the inflation-busting increase and punitive contract rewrite on April 1.
nialli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2023, 10:21   #140
Peter729
cf.addict

Peter729 is a jewel in the roughPeter729 is a jewel in the roughPeter729 is a jewel in the roughPeter729 is a jewel in the roughPeter729 is a jewel in the rough

The price rise looks like a very strange business model by VM when there are now so many other providers in the market and people are price sensitive due to the energy prices.

Are VM simply looking for a smaller number of customers who pay more for the service, this is an option if you want to remove traffic from the network whilst retaining the same turnover.

Whatever the objective behind VM's business model the risk must be that a significant number of customers vote with their feet and VM has to cut their prices to entice them back.
Peter729 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2023, 10:31   #141
Mythica
cf.geek

Mythica has reached the bronze age
Mythica has reached the bronze ageMythica has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter729 View Post
The price rise looks like a very strange business model by VM when there are now so many other providers in the market and people are price sensitive due to the energy prices.

Are VM simply looking for a smaller number of customers who pay more for the service, this is an option if you want to remove traffic from the network whilst retaining the same turnover.

Whatever the objective behind VM's business model the risk must be that a significant number of customers vote with their feet and VM has to cut their prices to entice them back.
I think a lot of people forget that businesses also have the energy price rise problem.
Mythica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2023, 11:28   #142
nialli
cf.geek

Services: Sky Stream, Sky broadband
nialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quads

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mythica View Post
I think a lot of people forget that businesses also have the energy price rise problem.
For me, the more reasonable Sky increase and promotional offers for Sky Stream make this a no-brainer once I get my notification from VM.
Virgin’s change in T&Cs is inexcusable profiteering
nialli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2023, 11:59   #143
tweetiepooh
Virgin Media Employee

Services: Staff MyRates BB: VM XXL TV: VM XL Phone : VM XL
tweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appeal
tweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appeal

Quote:

Exactly, and the extra business have to pay to their suppliers who also have energy price rises.
Old 14-02-2023, 12:05   #144
Peter729
cf.addict

Peter729 is a jewel in the roughPeter729 is a jewel in the roughPeter729 is a jewel in the roughPeter729 is a jewel in the roughPeter729 is a jewel in the rough

That’s the way a free market works, Virgin are free to decide what’s best for their business and the consumers are free to decide what’s best for them.
Old 14-02-2023, 12:29   #145
oxfordmark
cf.addict

Services: Virgin Media M+:TV,VM 30mb:BB 1tb and 500gb Tivo, HTC One X
oxfordmark is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by crossbow1956 View Post
Think i may cancel virgin media & try now tv broadband & phone 30meg bb + call anytime phone + entertainment & cinema 12 month contract = £37.00 per month sounds a good deal ?
Considering this too, but with Sports instead of Cinema.

How do you go about adding more than 1 package, whenever i click to add entertainment, after adding sport, it only shows entertainment.

---------- Post added at 12:29 ---------- Previous post was at 12:28 ----------

I am going to use this page to speak to an advisor: https://www.virginmedia.com/help/pricechange2023

We only get post once a week!

She just said to me that from 1st April I can call up to "get a better deal".

£21 a month price rise is awful!

Last edited by oxfordmark; 14-02-2023 at 13:12.
oxfordmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2023, 14:13   #146
Mythica
cf.geek

Mythica has reached the bronze age
Mythica has reached the bronze ageMythica has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter729 View Post
That’s the way a free market works, Virgin are free to decide what’s best for their business and the consumers are free to decide what’s best for them.
I don't think anyone said otherwise, but people need to stop having a go at businesses because prices are going up and then saying people are struggling because of the energy prices like it doesn't affect businesses.
Mythica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2023, 15:10   #147
Peter729
cf.addict

Quote:
I don't think anyone said otherwise, but people need to stop having a go at businesses because prices are going up and then saying people are struggling because of the energy prices like it doesn't affect businesses.
If you look back at my prevoius post I have already stated that I have had NO issues with the VM service or with VM itself, however it is a fact that many people\companies are struggling finacialy and are being forced to look after every penny.

My decision looks to be fairly easy one and is not wholly based on the VM price rise, I can have FTTP and a faster broadband speed, at less than I am currectly paying VM, the providers 24 month contract guarantees "No midterm contract price rises". If these deals are available in other areas then consumers will be attracted to them

I would be foolish not to consider my options.......caveat emptor

I have not had any communication from VM about the price rise yet and I will talk to VM before I put my notice in.

Last edited by Peter729; 14-02-2023 at 15:26. Reason: spelling
Old 14-02-2023, 15:13   #148
oxfordmark
cf.addict

So I looked at Sky Q and Sky Stream, 18 month contract with kids, sports, , UHD, multi room and that really annoying ad skip add on for Stream.

Including 59mpbs BB, looking at £100 a month!
Old 14-02-2023, 15:30   #149
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

RichardCoulter has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by oxfordmark View Post
So I looked at Sky Q and Sky Stream, 18 month contract with kids, sports, , UHD, multi room and that really annoying ad skip add on for Stream.

Including 59mpbs BB, looking at £100 a month!
How does this compare to Virgin after their price increase?

Sky are managing to keep their price rise to below inflation. I imagine that to be able to do this they must have improved efficiency, cut their profit margin or believe that being the lowest increase out of them all will generate at least dnough extra income to cover the costs of not putting up prices by inflation.

If you aren't bothered about recording, Now TV is even better value. This is even with standard pricing, but i've very rarely paid that. The cheapest i've had for Entertainment is £1 per month and zero for Cinema (I don't bother with sports).
RichardCoulter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2023, 15:38   #150
oxfordmark
cf.addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardCoulter View Post
How does this compare to Virgin after their price increase?

Sky are managing to keep their price rise to below inflation. I imagine that to be able to do this they must have improved efficiency, cut their profit margin or believe that being the lowest increase out of them all will generate at least dnough extra income to cover the costs of not putting up prices by inflation.

If you aren't bothered about recording, Now TV is even better value. This is even with standard pricing, but i've very rarely paid that. The cheapest i've had for Entertainment is £1 per month and zero for Cinema (I don't bother with sports).
I think it will be around £90 with Virgin, but then I do not like the new terms of being able to do this again with no option to cancel.

NOW TV looks good value, esp via Talk Talk, who have a box with the app so you can at least get Freeview channels.

My worry is it is too complicated to use, especially for my 4 year old. At the moment he simply presses the mic and says "nick jr".

Would he have to fire up the NOW TV app and browse that way to get to the kids channels? I will need to check if either of my TV's have the NOW TV app. I do have a fire stick, but think that will be just as akward to navigate too.

Are there any cheap PVR boxes where you can record normal TV but also has the NOW TV app?