Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Rising cost of living

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Current Affairs
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Rising cost of living

Old 28-08-2022, 14:07   #406
GrimUpNorth
cf.mega poster

GrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny star
GrimUpNorth has a nice shiny star
Re: Rising cost of living

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre View Post
Spot on.

But it seems that Unions nowadays are more focused on improving the outcomes of the 45, than the 25 or indeed the 15.
Maybe, but if there's a vote for strike action in local government then I'll be on strike. I'm a union member and knew the 'risks' when I joined so will be out. The future does indeed look very very bleak for some sections of society, very bleak for others and bleak for others. I think it's only a very small percentage of the country that'll be able to absorb the costs with little or no impact to their ongoing lifestyle.

We'll be ok but will have to change our aspersions for the coming year or 2. The holiday we were planning for my wife's 50th will be postponed or scaled back and I'll make my car last another year or so. I know some people will scoff at our concerns and yes in the whole scheme of things I know how lucky we are but I do really worry about some of the junior people at work who just don't have the ability to cut their outgoings as easily as we do and some of them with young families are already hurting so are really going to struggle. If help is put in place to mitigate the rise in fuel costs then that'll help but the general rise in the cost of living is still going to hurt many people.

And this is where my politics varies from many on here. Whatever people say we are one of the wealthiest countries and we should be ashamed at the stress and worry some people are experiencing at the moment. I don't agree in paying people to do nothing, but we must understand not everyone is as able or capable as we are and we must help those less fortunate than us. I've no problem with public services paying their way or even making a profit but I do feel they should be in public ownership so we all benefit from any surplus not just the privileged few or foreign state owned companies. I think it's not too late to become as near to energy self sufficient as possible and it's not to late to set up a sovereign wealth fund to ensure the whole country benefits from the spoils of exploiting our natural resources. If we had a state owned oil company, there'd be no need for windfall taxation because as the owner the country would benefit year after year. I'm sure carbon capture has improved to the point that coal could now be cleaner, indeed the CO2 captured could fill the gap now it's uneconomical to make it in the fertiliser factories.

If all this makes me a leftie in the eyes of some people here then sign me up, because there is a much better way of doing things than the system we have now.
GrimUpNorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 28-08-2022, 17:24   #407
Taf
cf.mega poster

Services: TVXL BBXL Superhub 2ac (wired) 1Tb Tivo
Taf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny star
Taf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny star

Morrisons is trying to pull a fast one. I received a coupon for £15 off £60 for online sales, delivered or click-and-collect.

I browsed online, and saw Purina One dry catfood on sale at a great price.

So I clicked to add some to my virtual trolley.

It immediately asked me to sign in.

I did so, then searched for the catfood on offer. It no longer was. I logged-out, searched again, and there it is. Still on offer!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg logged off.jpg (166.1 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg logged on.jpg (223.5 KB, 11 views)
Taf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2022, 17:44   #408
Jaymoss
Just a Geek

Jaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appeal
Jaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taf View Post
Morrisons is trying to pull a fast one. I received a coupon for £15 off £60 for online sales, delivered or click-and-collect.

I did so, then searched for the catfood on offer. It no longer was. I logged-out, searched again, and there it is. Still on offer!!
might be store specific it is on offer till 30th. Did you set a cart date after then ?

Just for reference Amazon has it 4 for £45 with a 20% off voucher for first subscribe and save which you take then cancel if you do not want more. On mine it would be £35 for 4

Last edited by Jaymoss; 28-08-2022 at 17:49.
Jaymoss is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2022, 17:48   #409
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze

Quote:

Welcome to the dystopian future of capitalism. Dynamic pricing based on who you are, what you can afford, how much you are willing to pay, etc.
jfman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2022, 18:08   #410
papa smurf
vox populi vox dei

Services: every thing
papa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny stars
papa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfman View Post
Welcome to the dystopian future of capitalism. Dynamic pricing based on who you are, what you can afford, how much you are willing to pay, etc.
Harrods
Old 29-08-2022, 10:12   #411
Taf
cf.mega poster

Services: TVXL BBXL Superhub 2ac (wired) 1Tb Tivo
Taf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny star
Taf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaymoss View Post
might be store specific it is on offer till 30th. Did you set a cart date after then ?
Quote:
Offer price £13.50, was £16.80

Offer price £13.50 when you order by 30/08/2022..
I set the collection date as today, so a day before the offer ends.

It's the same story today.
Taf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2022, 10:26   #412
Jaymoss
Just a Geek

Jaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
I set the collection date as today, so a day before the offer ends.

It's the same story today.
The amazon deal is better
Old 29-08-2022, 11:03   #413
Mr K
Woke and proud !

Services: TV, Phone, BB, a wife
Mr K has a nice shiny star
Mr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny star

Quote:

Just shove moggy outside , to scavenge out of bins, kill birds and crap over other peoples gardens like other cat owners. Big saving.
Mr K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2022, 12:07   #414
papa smurf
vox populi vox dei

papa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny stars
papa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny stars

It's depressing reading how much using a washing machine and taking a shower will cost and how much a pint of beer will be, for me it will be a choice of drinking or stinking
Old 29-08-2022, 12:09   #415
Mr K
Woke and proud !

Services: TV, Phone, BB, a wife
Mr K has a nice shiny star
Mr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by papa smurf View Post
It's depressing reading how much using a washing machine and taking a shower will cost and how much a pint of beer will be, for me it will be a choice of drinking or stinking
Surely there's no choice to be made there?
Mr K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2022, 12:09   #416
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze

Quote:
That's not a choice. Where would you go anyway if everywhere is shut.
jfman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2022, 12:13   #417
papa smurf
vox populi vox dei

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr K View Post
Just shove moggy outside , to scavenge out of bins, kill birds and crap over other peoples gardens like other cat owners. Big saving.
My cat eats 90% chicken breast topped up with whiskers biscuits.

---------- Post added at 12:13 ---------- Previous post was at 12:11 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfman View Post
That's not a choice. Where would you go anyway if everywhere is shut.
Drink at home toasting my smelly feet in front of my coal fuelled stove.
Old 29-08-2022, 12:14   #418
Jaymoss
Just a Geek

Quote:
I been washing myself cold since the last price hike. Only use hot water one bowl for washing up a day as for clothes washing I do one full load and drip dry. I guess in the winter I will need to use the rads but I will do it as sparingly as possible
Old 29-08-2022, 12:19   #419
peanut
NUTS !!

peanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny star
peanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny star

Well it was the £5.16 costs (jan 23) of cooking a Sunday roast that did it for me.
Old 29-08-2022, 12:23   #420
papa smurf
vox populi vox dei

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaymoss View Post
I been washing myself cold since the last price hike. Only use hot water one bowl for washing up as for clothes washing I do one full load and drip dry. I guess in the winter I will need to use the rads but I will do it as sparingly as possible
I remember when i was a child, we only had one tap and it was cold, we had a coal stove and had to boil water on it to fill the tin bath that lived on a hook on the outside wall next to the outside toilet, there was a hierarchy of bath usage and i was last, I thought i would never see people living that way again.