Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | The future of television

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Alternatives to Virgin Media > Other Digital TV Services Discussion
Register FAQ Community Calendar

The future of television

Old 22-11-2023, 04:13   #751
Dude111
An Awesome Dude

Dude111 has a bronzed appealDude111 has a bronzed appeal
Dude111 has a bronzed appealDude111 has a bronzed appealDude111 has a bronzed appealDude111 has a bronzed appealDude111 has a bronzed appealDude111 has a bronzed appealDude111 has a bronzed appealDude111 has a bronzed appeal
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris
No, it shows that a decision on reserving spectrum has been deferred.
I hope your right Chris... We dont wanna lose what we still have!! (Which isnt much )
Dude111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 22-11-2023, 15:41   #752
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
Re: The future of television

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
Are you minded to agree with the Scots Tory?

I thought it’d appeal to OB in a way I couldn’t.

I agree with all of the rest of your post. Plus of course those that don’t want/need internet connections at home.

I appreciate it’s a small number. But all of these small numbers add up to a business case for maintaining broadcast television as is in some form.
jfman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2023, 18:30   #753
cheekyangus
cf.mega poster

cheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quads

Quote:

He does have a point, and I think it is a far deeper problem that is not confined to the rural ‘not spots’. We often have 3 or 4 TV shows streaming at once in our house. No problem at all on our 900Mb fibre - which is why we eventually decided not to even bother having a dish installed on our new house and have stuck with accessing everything over IP - but an 80Mb FTTC line would struggle with that, if there was any local contention at all. Radio waves do not suffer contention no matter how many people in the street are receiving them. There is a reason why old fashioned, one-to-many broadcast systems are going nowhere fast. They are super resilient and they are going to be the only reliable way of receiving TV in multi-screen households for many years to come.
Yup, broadband that is good enough isn't available to enough homes let alone chosen by them.

And even then it's ridiculous how much resources are needed by something new to offer what old technology can do without breaking sweat.

Even when they do move on to new tech 5G Broadcast makes much more sense than a standard IP delivered solution. More efficient, because of the broadcast element.
cheekyangus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2023, 18:17   #754
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

RichardCoulter has disabled reputation

Quote:

He does have a point, and I think it is a far deeper problem that is not confined to the rural ‘not spots’. We often have 3 or 4 TV shows streaming at once in our house. No problem at all on our 900Mb fibre - which is why we eventually decided not to even bother having a dish installed on our new house and have stuck with accessing everything over IP - but an 80Mb FTTC line would struggle with that, if there was any local contention at all. Radio waves do not suffer contention no matter how many people in the street are receiving them. There is a reason why old fashioned, one-to-many broadcast systems are going nowhere fast. They are super resilient and they are going to be the only reliable way of receiving TV in multi-screen households for many years to come.
I think i"d still put up my satellite dish as a fall back if I were in your position.

I have to use the Internet when Virgin TV goes down and, whilst it is do-able, I find it to be a right faff.
RichardCoulter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2023, 19:22   #755
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardCoulter View Post
I think i"d still put up my satellite dish as a fall back if I were in your position.

I have to use the Internet when Virgin TV goes down and, whilst it is do-able, I find it to be a right faff.
It isn’t as quick as flipping channels but if you have a TV that handles apps well it is perfectly functional once you get used to it. We have a BT Halo internet connection so if the fibre goes down the 4G backup cuts in automatically. To the best of my knowledge that has never happened, although the fibre modem router and the 4G receiver are hiding under the stairs so I’d probably take a while to notice.

We have never really been multi-channel TV fans in our house and find everything we need on the main public service broadcasters, whose apps all give easy access to their broadcast stream, and the main streaming services.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2023, 20:00   #756
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

RichardCoulter has disabled reputation

Quote:
It isn’t as quick as flipping channels but if you have a TV that handles apps well it is perfectly functional once you get used to it. We have a BT Halo internet connection so if the fibre goes down the 4G backup cuts in automatically. To the best of my knowledge that has never happened, although the fibre modem router and the 4G receiver are hiding under the stairs so I’d probably take a while to notice.

We have never really been multi-channel TV fans in our house and find everything we need on the main public service broadcasters, whose apps all give easy access to their broadcast stream, and the main streaming services.
If you have an aerial then the new Freeview Freely box might be an option to make things even easier.

If you aren't going to use your Freesat HD box then now would be a good time to sell it as the old SD boxes won't get any BBC channels from January & it's looking likely that Sky are intending to move their SD channels to S2 too, so I imagine that all the others will follow suit to cut costs, meaning that there will be a market for the remaining 2% who still have SD satellite boxes. Sky subscribers can get a free upgrade, but only vulnerable Freesat customers can get help with the cost

Former Sky subscribers, non vulnerable Freesat customers and those with generic satellite STB"s will shortly be on the lookout for an HD box if theirs is SD.

Last edited by RichardCoulter; 26-11-2023 at 20:03.
RichardCoulter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2023, 22:01   #757
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardCoulter View Post
If you have an aerial then the new Freeview Freely box might be an option to make things even easier.

If you aren't going to use your Freesat HD box then now would be a good time to sell it as the old SD boxes won't get any BBC channels from January & it's looking likely that Sky are intending to move their SD channels to S2 too, so I imagine that all the others will follow suit to cut costs, meaning that there will be a market for the remaining 2% who still have SD satellite boxes. Sky subscribers can get a free upgrade, but only vulnerable Freesat customers can get help with the cost

Former Sky subscribers, non vulnerable Freesat customers and those with generic satellite STB"s will shortly be on the lookout for an HD box if theirs is SD.
There is neither a terrestrial aerial nor a satellite dish on our house - it’s a new build. The builder put a wall plate in the lounge and ran cables into the loft but getting an aerial and or dish was up to us. We had intended to do so, until we lived with super-fast IP service for a few weeks, then it didn’t seem so important anymore.
Old 05-12-2023, 16:56   #758
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze

Although it's covered in the sports thread within the cable TV section I guess it's worth an acknowledgement here that once again Sky are in the box seat once again should TV undergo any signifiant transition to new technologies.

Premier League rights are what developed the satellite market in the UK at all, Sky led the transition to digital television moving households onto their digital platform. Now the breadth of their products will once again be at the forefront as television diverges across the full range of platforms available. Only Sky will be offering products tailored to everyone's needs across the length and breadth of the UK.

For all the bluster around streaming services they remained nowhere to be seen in the auction and will remain bit part players in pure revenue terms in the market in the UK for the foreseeable.
Old 09-01-2024, 20:01   #759
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

https://rxtvinfo.com/2024/timeline-o...-satellite-tv/

[EXTRACT]

TV is changing: Freeview may now only have ten years left in its current form, with the main free-to-air broadcasters clubbing together to launch a replacement online service.

https://rxtvinfo.com/2024/how-pay-tv...of-big-change/

[EXTRACT]

The UK faces two years of momentous change for pay TV and premium streaming, as three US media giants make decisions that will have big implications for subscribers.

Current Warner Bros Discovery (WBD) deal with Sky covering HBO content will finally cease at the end of next year.

WBD then free to launch full version of Max in the UK, but only has just over 2 1/2 years to take full control of TNT/Eurosport UK joint venture
Paramount and WBD mull a possible tie-up, which could leave Comcast-owned Sky out in the cold.

Linear channels under threat of closure as advertising downturn continues and businesses push streaming.

All in the name of progress.

Last edited by OLD BOY; 09-01-2024 at 20:11.
OLD BOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2024, 20:20   #760
jfman
Architect of Ideas

“Sky out in the cold” selling Premiership games all the way to the 2030s leaving everyone in their wake.

The multiple uses of “if” and “may” reminds me of the same stuff I’ve been reading for the past decade, and I fully expect to be reading well into the next one.m

All the streamers are scrambling for their very existence as they struggle to monetise non-premium content in an environment where consumers are feeling ever increasingly squeezed for their disposable income.

Amazon have ads, Netflix have ads. The low cost streaming future remains unfulfilled.

Last edited by jfman; 09-01-2024 at 20:26.
Old 10-01-2024, 20:49   #761
Itshim
Do I care what you think

Services: V6 ,Virgin L. Phone Broadband.sky go Netflix
Itshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appeal
Itshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appeal

Quote:

Have used streaming a lot in the last week and yes it works but it is a pain to use, needs work . Of the few I used itv x is the worse. Netflix the best but that just a old man's opinion
Old 10-01-2024, 23:11   #762
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itshim View Post
Have used streaming a lot in the last week and yes it works but it is a pain to use, needs work . Of the few I used itv x is the worse. Netflix the best but that just a old man's opinion
Yes, it’s significantly less functional than regular channel hopping and that creates friction which mitigates against a full transition to IP based TV - as many of us here have been saying for years in the face of breathless futurology from certain other posters …
Old 11-01-2024, 11:29   #763
Itshim
Do I care what you think

Services: V6 ,Virgin L. Phone Broadband.sky go Netflix
Itshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appeal
Itshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Yes, it’s significantly less functional than regular channel hopping and that creates friction which mitigates against a full transition to IP based TV - as many of us here have been saying for years in the face of breathless futurology from certain other posters …
It's a real pain just to get to I player for the news channel so many hoops to jump through, at the moment my TV defaults to cnn so that's not too bad,.still working out how to remove apps I will never look at, getting there slowly .Used to default to some vague children's channel but at least that has gone
Old 14-01-2024, 19:49   #764
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
I don’t know, Chris, you seem to be warming to streaming judging by your recent posts.

It’s just a question of getting used to it, and it will almost certainly improve with time.

I use apps, recordings and bookmarks all the time now, and frankly it presents no problem at all. In fact, I get to the content I want just as quickly or quicker.
Old 14-01-2024, 19:56   #765
Paul
Dr Pepper Addict
Cable Forum Team

Services: Flextel SIP : Sky Mobile : Sky Q TV : VM BB (1000 Mbps) : Aquiss FTTP (330 Mbps)
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
I get to the content I want just as quickly or quicker.
Quicker than what ?

Baby, I was born this way.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote