Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Two Networks on Broadband

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Two Networks on Broadband

Old 16-02-2005, 11:31   #1
DaveW1970
Inactive

DaveW1970 is an unknown quantity at this point
Two Networks on Broadband

Hi,

Being a broadband novice, I though I would post this to check whether or not this is the norm.

I have had a 300K service from ntl for a few days now. Everything was going well until I got a "new network" message on booting up yesterday. I now have two internet networks that my PC is connected to and, in the light of security worries, wondered if there was anything amiss.

ntl customer support told me that perhaps the PC was seeing itself as an internet connection, but I am not wholly convinced.

I am running an ancient Win 98 SE setup, no bluetooth adapter or the like. Just the cable modem.

Can anyone enlighten me as to the reason for the two networks?

Much obliged.

Dave
DaveW1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 16-02-2005, 12:31   #2
homealone

Re: Two Networks on Broadband

Hi DaveW1970 to Cable Forum

- do you use Zone Alarm, by any chance??
Old 16-02-2005, 12:44   #3
DaveW1970
Inactive

Thanks for the welcome.

Yep, I have got Zone Alarm installed. Is that the root of all ntl evil?

Dave
Old 16-02-2005, 12:52   #4
homealone

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveW1970
Thanks for the welcome.

Yep, I have got Zone Alarm installed. Is that the root of all ntl evil?

Dave
hmm, some may say that, personally i have had no problems with it, no - I just wondered whether the 'new network detected' message had come from Zone Alarm, as I seem to remember something similar last time I re-installed it.
Old 16-02-2005, 13:35   #5
DaveW1970
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by homealone
hmm, some may say that, personally i have had no problems with it, no - I just wondered whether the 'new network detected' message had come from Zone Alarm, as I seem to remember something similar last time I re-installed it.
Ah, I see. I just thought it a bit odd that 2 networks were shown as I could see no real reason for it (as is the case for quite a lot that goes on at ntl methinks).

Cheers anyway.

Dave
Old 16-02-2005, 13:48   #6
rdhw
Inactive

rdhw has entered a golden reputation erardhw has entered a golden reputation erardhw has entered a golden reputation erardhw has entered a golden reputation erardhw has entered a golden reputation erardhw has entered a golden reputation erardhw has entered a golden reputation erardhw has entered a golden reputation erardhw has entered a golden reputation erardhw has entered a golden reputation erardhw has entered a golden reputation era

Quote:
I have had a 300K service from ntl for a few days now. Everything was going well until I got a "new network" message on booting up yesterday. I now have two internet networks that my PC is connected to and, in the light of security worries, wondered if there was anything amiss.
ZoneAlarm produces this message every time your IP address changes from one sub-net range to another. This is liable to happen at any reboot on a cable system that allocates addresses via DHCP.
rdhw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2005, 14:01   #7
DaveW1970
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdhw
ZoneAlarm produces this message every time your IP address changes from one sub-net range to another. This is liable to happen at any reboot on a cable system that allocates addresses via DHCP.
Thanks for the help. Would this explain me being connected to two networks (as indicated by two internet ip addresses as shown in ZoneAlarm)?

Dave
Old 16-02-2005, 14:04   #8
homealone

Quote:
Thanks Robin - I could remember getting the message before, but that has clarified why it happens, much obliged
Old 17-02-2005, 10:36   #9
rdhw
Inactive

rdhw has entered a golden reputation erardhw has entered a golden reputation erardhw has entered a golden reputation erardhw has entered a golden reputation erardhw has entered a golden reputation erardhw has entered a golden reputation erardhw has entered a golden reputation erardhw has entered a golden reputation erardhw has entered a golden reputation erardhw has entered a golden reputation erardhw has entered a golden reputation era

Quote:
Would this explain me being connected to two networks (as indicated by two internet ip addresses as shown in ZoneAlarm)?
You aren't connected to two networks. ZoneAlarm is confused.
rdhw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2005, 11:50   #10
DaveW1970
Inactive

Quote:
You aren't connected to two networks. ZoneAlarm is confused.
Quite true, had a root around (using winipcfg) last night and found that it had given an IP address to a generic "Microsoft TV adapter" which it had installed at the same time as the cable modem.

Problem solved

Thanks for all the tips

Dave