Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Virgin Media Phorm Webwise Adverts [Updated: See Post No. 1, 77, 102 & 797]

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Virgin Media Phorm Webwise Adverts [Updated: See Post No. 1, 77, 102 & 797]
View Poll Results: Will you be opting out of the Virgin Ad Deal?
Yes, Definitely. 958 95.51%
No, I am quite happy to share my surfing habits with anyone. 45 4.49%
Voters: 1003. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 27-06-2008, 20:40   #10381
davethejag
Inactive

davethejag has a spectacular aura about themdavethejag has a spectacular aura about themdavethejag has a spectacular aura about themdavethejag has a spectacular aura about them
Re: Virgin Media Phorm Webwise Adverts [Updated: See Post No. 1, 77, 102 & 797]

Hi, Not sure if this has been posted before, it was taken from here -

http://bits.blogs.nytimes.com/tag/privacy/

Dave.

April 25, 2008, 9:30 am
Should Anti-Spyware Programs Fight Snooping I.S.P.s?
By Saul Hansell

The efforts of Internet service providers to keep track of what their customers do online poses an interesting question for the makers of anti-spyware software: Should they find a way to help users block these systems from monitoring their surfing or showing them advertising that relates to their interests?
The Anti-Spyware Coalition is setting up a project to help address those issues. It’s potentially an important step because the coalition, run by the Center for Democracy and Technology, has created standards used by the major vendors of anti-virus and anti-spyware technology to help define how dangerous certain software and cookies are.
Most anti-spyware programs scan users’ computers and sort the findings into high-, medium- or low-risk threats. Users can define their own settings to tell the programs how to deal with various sorts of threats and potential privacy invasions. Read more … (See link for more. Dave)
Comments (23) E-mail this Share
Del.icio.us Digg Facebook Newsvine Permalink
Advertisement
Old 27-06-2008, 21:16   #10382
warescouse
cf.addict

warescouse is just really nicewarescouse is just really nicewarescouse is just really nicewarescouse is just really nicewarescouse is just really nicewarescouse is just really nice

Worried about www.webwise.bt.com getting dns hijacked? Check this story at el reg.
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/06...cann_hijacked/
Old 27-06-2008, 21:49   #10383
BadPhormula
cf.addict

BadPhormula will become famous soon enoughBadPhormula will become famous soon enoughBadPhormula will become famous soon enough

Regarding KFO

Thanks to all the people that took the time to give Kent a good kicking today. Just to remind you that you can do the same thing tomorrow and every 24hrs. Please pass this unique opportunity onto someone you luv or trust.

Let's make sure Kent knows we are thinking about him daily.

Btw, shame on the SOS loser.
Old 27-06-2008, 22:12   #10384
warescouse
cf.addict

warescouse is just really nicewarescouse is just really nicewarescouse is just really nicewarescouse is just really nicewarescouse is just really nicewarescouse is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadPhormula View Post
Regarding KFO

Thanks to all the people that took the time to give Kent a good kicking today. Just to remind you that you can do the same thing tomorrow and every 24hrs. Please pass this unique opportunity onto someone you luv or trust.

I was as confused about this as much as I was with amanfromMars comments After a bit of Googleing I resolved the confusion and added my vote.
Old 27-06-2008, 22:46   #10385
Dephormation
Inactive

Services: Aquiss.net and loving it. No more Virgin Media, no more Virgin Phone, no more Virgin Mobile.
Dephormation is a name known to allDephormation is a name known to allDephormation is a name known to allDephormation is a name known to allDephormation is a name known to allDephormation is a name known to allDephormation is a name known to allDephormation is a name known to all

I can recommend KFO as a way to vent frustration. Spare David Davis an SOS while you're at it.

---------- Post added at 22:46 ---------- Previous post was at 22:15 ----------

I've got a charming promo video, put together using a very old film clip from 1905 (taken from the 'Burglars slide for life').

I've used a brilliant royalty free recording of Dance of the Sugar Plum Fairies... by Kevin MacLeod of Incompetech.

The video is fab, and I'd love to share it. I can't because I fear it may still be in copyright (the script author died 67 years ago, worst case copyright may still exist for 70 years after the last performer/author's death).

Shame, I'd love to share it with everyone.

Makes me so angry BT think they can claim the right to ignore copyright with impunity, at the same time as they serve disconnection warning letters on their own customers for copyright abuse.

Old 27-06-2008, 22:48   #10386
icsys
Inactive

Services: Virgin - BB,TV,Phone Sky box - with no sub Freeview - idtv
icsys is just really niceicsys is just really niceicsys is just really niceicsys is just really niceicsys is just really niceicsys is just really nice

"If you’ve got AIDS, cancer or erectile dysfunction a group of big advertising networks are going to promise not to remember that you read sites about those topics and remind you (or others using your computer) of your condition with ads for related drugs as you surf the net.

But if you have Parkinson’s disease, congestive heart failure or warts, the ad companies have decided it may well be acceptable to keep track of your interest in medical subjects and fill your browser with ads for helpful products from pharmaceutical companies.

Advertising to people who are dead may also be acceptable, the [Network Advertising Initiative] group said"

A taste of what to expect should the phorm data-pimping machine get its way?

http://bits.blogs.nytimes.com/2008/0...eople-allowed/
Old 27-06-2008, 22:48   #10387
Florence
Inactive

Services: The wonders of Sky TV BT line and Aquiss.net ADSL cable dies on 5th RIP VM.
Florence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appeal
Florence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadPhormula View Post
Regarding KFO

I still am confused how do you do an sos and what does it do
of to google me thinks
Old 27-06-2008, 22:54   #10388
Ravenheart
Inactive

Ravenheart has a bronzed appealRavenheart has a bronzed appeal
Ravenheart has a bronzed appealRavenheart has a bronzed appealRavenheart has a bronzed appeal

Added my KFO vote

What a wonderful idea, if only it were legally binding.
Old 27-06-2008, 23:02   #10389
jtechs
Inactive

jtechs is on a distinguished roadjtechs is on a distinguished road

I added my KFO also!

I was kind of bored, so I quickly made the PHORM experience! on my website

http://www.btweblies.com/index.php?e...y080627-225800

enjoy!
Old 27-06-2008, 23:29   #10390
BadPhormula
cf.addict

BadPhormula will become famous soon enoughBadPhormula will become famous soon enoughBadPhormula will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Florence View Post
I still am confused how do you do an sos and what does it do
of to google me thinks
Well here is my guess (as I haven't done a SOS for anyone) the voter has a choice KFO or SOS. KFO is a well deserved kick up the backside and a SOS is from a brown nose trying to insert said proboscis into Kent's backside.

Phorm and Kent Ertugrul both have an entry.

h~~p://www.kindlyf~~~off.co.uk/?action=view_nominee&nID=132 [Phorm presently No.7 in KFO rankings]
h~~p://www.kindlyf~~~off.co.uk/?action=view_nominee&nID=45 [Kent Ertugrul presently No.19 in KFO rankings]

You can vote for both of them. You can vote once for each entry every 24hrs.

Kent has managed to rise from No.34 ranking to No.19 in a few hours, he is well on his way to displacing the current whipping boy, Robert Mug-a-be.

You don't have to register to vote and you can leave a message. A suitable message might be a pointer to BadPhorm.co.uk, NoDPI, or this CF forum etc. so that a wider audience can enjoy following the Phorm story.

Please replace the "~" with the correct characters.

Update: Kent has moved up from 19 to 17. Pete, how does that triangulate for those graphs, getting him to No.1 ASAP? ETA?
Old 27-06-2008, 23:34   #10391
Ryewolf
Inactive

Ryewolf will become famous soon enoughRyewolf will become famous soon enoughRyewolf will become famous soon enough

There's also another address for the website without using swear words
http://www.kindlyfoxtrotoscar.com/

Just KFO'd both Phorm and Kent
Old 27-06-2008, 23:41   #10392
Dephormation
Inactive

Services: Aquiss.net and loving it. No more Virgin Media, no more Virgin Phone, no more Virgin Mobile.
Dephormation is a name known to allDephormation is a name known to allDephormation is a name known to allDephormation is a name known to allDephormation is a name known to allDephormation is a name known to allDephormation is a name known to allDephormation is a name known to all

Full House!!!

Old 27-06-2008, 23:46   #10393
Paul Delaney

He he

Just KFO'd the CS and his MoFo company

Old 27-06-2008, 23:52   #10394
roadrunner69
cf.member

roadrunner69 is an unknown quantity at this point

BT's in there too, why not take a look...go on you know you want to
Old 27-06-2008, 23:55   #10395
Paul Delaney

Who's next then?

le-le-le-Legal?

You wouldn't want to be going to the same place as me when you die...

Closed Thread