Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Fertility rate: 'Jaw-dropping' global crash in children being born

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Current Affairs
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Fertility rate: 'Jaw-dropping' global crash in children being born

Old 29-09-2020, 19:46   #31
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
Re: Fertility rate: 'Jaw-dropping' global crash in children being born

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
I like the way the media just creates contradictory headlines. One minute it is complaining about too many people taking up resources and contributing to climate change, and when it is clear that the population of the world has started to decrease, that is suddenly bad news.

We cannot have an ever increasing population on this planet. It is a good thing that the size of families is decreasing.

It is true that the governments of the world need to work out how to manage this population decrease to ensure that there is not a demographic emergency such as not having enough younger people to look after the elderly, not enough talent to take over when skilled managers retire, etc. But it is definitely not bad news.
Of course different journalists can approach different articles on the same subject from different viewpoints. At face value, overpopulation is a bad thing, stretching already limited resources in some parts of world. I think most would believe this to be objectively true.

That said, under population, or a declining one puts other pressures out there. The generations who reaped the supposed windfalls of privatisation consigned future generations to paying increased costs with profits being creamed off the top to the Cayman Islands or wherever. Decades of profits sold off in one go to the private sector knowing future generations will pay. This country is in £2 trillion of debt, and the rest of the world combined a ridiculous figure more. People are living longer, with fewer taxpayers to contribute into the pozni scheme.

If an increasing number of people wake up to the fact that this money isn’t “as good as gold” the way it was in the 60s and merely a spreadsheet calculation this will inevitably generate unrest among the declining population that they are being saddled with the debts of their ancestors.
jfman is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 29-09-2020, 20:08   #32
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Oh, dear. Whole populations playing the victim!
OLD BOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2020, 20:14   #33
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze

Quote:
Oh, dear. Whole populations playing the victim!
I’d hardly say it’s playing the victim to find that previous generations mortgaged your future to piss it all away in a “low tax economy” with nothing tangible for you to show for it and it turns out now that we need to pay the bill after all you can either pay more tax or pay private industry. Either way you pay. There was, and never has been, a free lunch.

This kind of inequality is unsustainable unless living standards and opportunities improve. Both of which have been stagnating for about 20 years.
Old 30-09-2020, 00:13   #34
Paul
Dr Pepper Addict
Cable Forum Team

Services: Flextel SIP : Sky Mobile : Sky Q TV : VM BB (1000 Mbps) : Aquiss FTTP (330 Mbps)
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars

Im sure the population will be getting a boost soon, starting around December.

Baby, I was born this way.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2020, 19:43   #35
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfman View Post
I’d hardly say it’s playing the victim to find that previous generations mortgaged your future to piss it all away in a “low tax economy” with nothing tangible for you to show for it and it turns out now that we need to pay the bill after all you can either pay more tax or pay private industry. Either way you pay. There was, and never has been, a free lunch.

This kind of inequality is unsustainable unless living standards and opportunities improve. Both of which have been stagnating for about 20 years.
Don’t be daft. We are where we are.

My generation had to pay off the crippling loan with the US for the Second World War but I don’t recollect any of us moaning about it. We just got on with it. We never expected everything to be given to us on a silver platter.
OLD BOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2020, 07:16   #36
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

Quote:

My generation had to pay off the crippling loan with the US for the Second World War but I don’t recollect any of us moaning about it. We just got on with it. We never expected everything to be given to us on a silver platter.
It was not crippling. It was £27 billion in today’s money, which is extremely large but not grossly out of proportion with the national budget. Plus we got 61 years to pay it off. And while paying it off we still managed to set up the NHS, build tens of thousands of council houses and maintain a military throughout the Cold War that was considerably larger than we have today.

Yours is the only generation in history that has ever had everything handed to it on a silver platter, which is why those of us following you have the dubious honour of being the first whose wealth has failed to exceed that of their parents.

Boomers did have it so good, not that it stops them moaning about it.

Last edited by Chris; 02-10-2020 at 07:22.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2020, 17:14   #37
Paul
Dr Pepper Addict
Cable Forum Team

Services: Flextel SIP : Sky Mobile : Sky Q TV : VM BB (1000 Mbps) : Aquiss FTTP (330 Mbps)
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
... which is why those of us following you have the dubious honour of being the first whose wealth has failed to exceed that of their parents.
I wonder who has my "Wealth"

Old 02-10-2020, 22:18   #38
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul View Post
I wonder who has my "Wealth"
Much of it is locked up in property. Boomers made their way up the housing ladder with relative ease, as high inflation reduced the value of their mortgages even as their endowment policies bloomed. As those policies neared maturity, many of their holders voted to demutualise the building societies that issued them, taking in some cases huge profits, paying off their mortgages and in some cases using the substantial excess money to get into the buy-to-let business.
Old 02-10-2020, 23:11   #39
downquark1
cf.mega poster

Services: Plusnet FFTC
downquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appeal
downquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Much of it is locked up in property. Boomers made their way up the housing ladder with relative ease, as high inflation reduced the value of their mortgages even as their endowment policies bloomed. As those policies neared maturity, many of their holders voted to demutualise the building societies that issued them, taking in some cases huge profits, paying off their mortgages and in some cases using the substantial excess money to get into the buy-to-let business.
Didn't they also have higher interest rates on the mortgage?
Old 03-10-2020, 08:44   #40
papa smurf
vox populi vox dei

Services: every thing
papa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny stars
papa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Mortgage rates went through the roof in the 90s and endowments bottomed out and didn't reach anywhere near their predicted amounts, someone has mis sold you a crock of shit.
Old 03-10-2020, 08:51   #41
jfman
Architect of Ideas

Quote:

Aye okay, Uncle Albert.
Old 03-10-2020, 19:11   #42
Paul
Dr Pepper Addict
Cable Forum Team

Quote:
Boomers made their way up the housing ladder with relative ease, as high inflation reduced the value of their mortgages even as their endowment policies bloomed.
Whatever you are drinking is good stuff.
Someones been feeding you a load of BS.

I can assure you I did not make my way "up the housing ladder with relative ease".

Old 03-10-2020, 19:56   #43
papa smurf
vox populi vox dei

Services: every thing
papa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny stars
papa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul View Post
Whatever you are drinking is good stuff.
Someones been feeding you a load of BS.

I can assure you I did not make my way "up the housing ladder with relative ease".
My 25 year mortgage ended up taking 30 years to pay off once the endowment policy failed miserably,my property empire consists of 1 house
Old 03-10-2020, 20:05   #44
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

The average British man is also 5 foot 9 tall and I’m not, but that doesn’t make the average untrue.

I’m talking in generalities, obviously these things didn’t go the same way for everyone. But for the generation born between 1945 and 1955 (the classic baby boomer generation) the statistics say, this is what occurred.

Paul, you’re not a boomer anyway, you’re early Generation X. Don’t know about you Papa, you might just be an unlucky boomer

Last edited by Chris; 03-10-2020 at 20:08.
Old 05-10-2020, 09:52   #45
tweetiepooh
Virgin Media Employee

Services: Staff MyRates BB: VM XXL TV: VM XL Phone : VM XL
tweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appeal
tweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appeal

My parents' endowments did make enough to clear the mortgage with some to spare and while they did have high rates the level was also quite low compared to how my dad's income eventually increased - not always easy though.

I started my "endowments" before I bought my first house and thankfully my wife had inherited money so when we did move we didn't need to increase our borrowing. We also switched to a repayment mortgage as it became clear the endowment would fall short though eventually one did hit target and while the other didn't we could still pay off mortgage and have enough to renew my car and a bit more.

I would hate to think of starting off these days as prices are so much above earnings.

But I don't think it's just the boomers hogging the houses but investment companies, sometimes overseas, who own large amounts of property and they won't be as affected by downturn in population.